Records of the Export-Import Bank of the United States [EIBUS]
(Record Group 275)
Table of Contents
- 275.1 Administrative History
- 275.2 Records of the Export-Import Bank of the United States and its Predecessors 1933-84
Established: As an independent agency by an act of March 13, 1968 (82 Stat. 47), amending the Export-Import Bank Act of 1945.
DC Charter, 1934-47:
- Export-Import Bank of Washington (EIBW, 1934-39)
- Second Export-Import Bank of Washington, DC (SEIBW, 1934-36)
- EIBW, Federal Loan Agency (1939-42)
- EIBW, Department of Commerce (1942-43)
- EIBW, Office of Economic Warfare, Office for Emergency Management (1943)
- EIBW, Foreign Economic Administration (1943-45)
- EIBW (1945-47)
Federal Charter, 1947-68:
- EIBW (1947-68)
Functions: Provides loans and grants to U.S. exporters, and to private financial institutions supporting U.S. exports, with the aim of meeting government-supported competition from other countries.
Finding Aids: William F. Sherman, comp., "Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Export-Import Bank of Washington," NC 45 (1964).Related Records:
Records of the Office of the Special Adviser to the President on Foreign Trade, RG 20.
General Records of the Department of Commerce, RG 40.
Records of the U.S. International Trade Commission, RG 81.
Records of the Foreign Economic Administration, RG 169.
Records of the Office for Emergency Management, RG 214.
Records of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, RG 234.
Records of the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, RG 364.
History: EIBW established under DC charter by EO 6581, February 2, 1934, to assist in financing U.S. trade with the Soviet Union. Made a component of newly established Federal Loan Agency by Reorganization Plan No. I of July 1, 1939. Transferred to Department of Commerce by EO 9071, February 24, 1942. Transferred to newly established Office of Economic Warfare in Office for Emergency Management by EO 9361, July 15, 1943. Transferred to newly established Foreign Economic Administration by EO 9380, September 25, 1943. Made an independent agency by the Export- Import Bank Act of 1945 (59 Stat. 526), July 31, 1945. Reincorporated under federal charter by amendment to the Export- Import Bank Act of 1945 (61 Stat. 130), June 9, 1947. Redesignated EIBUS, 1968. See 275.1.
SEIBW established under DC charter by EO 6638, March 9, 1934, to assist in financing U.S. trade with Cuba. Responsibility extended to include all other countries except Soviet Union, effective July 30, 1934, by Board of Trustees resolution, approved by the President. Abolished, effective June 30, 1936, by EO 7365, May 7, 1936, with functions transferred to EIBW.
Textual Records: Subject correspondence, 1933-75. Correspondence with the President, the Congress, and other Federal Government agencies, 1934-63. Minutes of the Board of Trustees, 1934-45; the Executive Committee, 1934-84; the Board of Directors, 1934-84; the Loan Committee, 1934-84; and subordinate committees, 1934-71. Case files relating to credits granted to foreign governments, and to domestic and foreign firms, 1934-51, 1954-67.
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States. Compiled by Robert B. Matchette et al. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1995.
3 volumes, 2428 pages.
This Web version is updated from time to time to include records processed since 1995.