The Information Security Oversight Office (ISOO)
ISOO is responsible to the President for policy and oversight of the Government-wide security classification system and the National Industrial Security Program. ISOO receives authority from:
- Executive Order 12829, as amended "National Industrial Security Program" [PDF] [HTML]
- "Classified National Security Information," Executive Order 13526 was released by the White House on December 29, 2009
- Executive Order 13549,"Classified National Security Information Program for State, Local, Tribal, and Private Sector Entities."
- Executive Order 13556 "Controlled Unclassified Information"
- Executive Order 13587,"Structural Reforms To Improve the Security of Classified Networks and the Responsible Sharing and Safeguarding of Classified Information."
ISOO is a component of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and receives policy and program guidance from the National Security Council (NSC).
ISOO has three components:
- The Classification Management Staff:
Develops security classification policies for classifying, declassifying and safeguarding national security information generated in Government and industry.
- The Operations Staff:
Evaluates the effectiveness of the security classification programs established by Government and industry to protect information vital to our national security interests.
- The Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) Office:
Develops standardized CUI policies and procedures that appropriately protect sensitive information through effective data access and control measures.