Education, Training, and Reference Materials
Security education plays a critical role in the effectiveness of an agency's information security program. The Information Security Oversight Office (ISOO) continues to explore ways to coordinate the dissemination of as many security education aids as possible and to develop them within the context of budgetary considerations. Below are Security, Classification Management, CUI, Markings, and Industry training aids.
Marking Classified National Security Information (Updated January 2014)
ISOO has issued a Marking Booklet to reflect updates in marking procedures for classified national security information resulting from the issuance of Executive Order 13526 and 32 CFR Parts 2001 and 2003.
Supplemental Training Aids on Classification Management and Marking Documents
- Basics of Classification Management
- Step 1-Portion Marking
- Step 2-Overall Classification
- Step 3-Classification Authority Block
- Basic Marking Requirements for E-mail
- Derived from-Multiple Sources
- Reasons and Exemptions
- Original vs. Derivative Classification
Outside Training (Offered by CDSE & NCSC)
Courses on security training, derivative classification, and other professional certifications.
Center for Development of Security Excellence (CDSE)
Provides a center of excellence for security training, professionalization, education, certification, research, and multimedia for the security community.
For more information please visit: Center for Development of Security Excellence
ISOO Open House
On May 8, 2015 ISOO held an open house for agencies to learn about Information on (ISOO), its mission, and the current state of the Classified National Security Information Program, the National Industrial Security Program, and the Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) Program. See below for the open house materials.
Open House Videos
- Morning Session
- National Institute of Standards Technology- special publication 800.171
- Panel Discussion and FAQ
- Derivative Classification Session
Open House & ISOO Panel
- Classification Management Overview
- Derivative Classification Overview
- Interagency Security Classification Appeals Panel-Briefing
- Public Interest Declassification Board-Briefing
Controlled Unclassified Information
- Controlled Unclassified Information-Registry Information Sheet
- Controlled Unclassified Information-Registry Overview
- Protecting CUI Nonfederal Systems
Operations and Industrial Security
- Operations and Industrial Security Overview
- National Industrial Security Program
- Self Inspections and Reporting Briefing
National Industrial Security Program Information
ISOO has produced the following brochure on the "National Industrial Security Program, also known as NISP". It includes a brief discussion of the background and purpose of NISP and its four major tenets.
Updated July 22, 2016