Record Groups 103 - 163
- Alphabetical List of Record Groups
- Numerical List of Record Groups
- Subject Access (A through L)
- Subject Access (M through Z)
- Record Groups 4 through 49
- Record Groups 53 through 96
- Record Groups 103 through 163
- Record Groups 165 through 295
- Record Groups 310 through 527
Record Group 103
Records of the Farm Credit Administration
The Farm Credit Administration (FCA) was established March 27, 1933, as an independent agency to consolidate the functions of various Federal agencies concerned with agricultural credit. It established production credit corporations and created banks for cooperatives as a source of credit for farmers. From 1939 to 1953, the FCA was part of the Department of Agriculture but again became an independent agency thereafter. The Administration supervises and coordinates the activities of the Farm Credit System, a cooperative association of Federal land banks, intermediate credit banks, and other institutions financing farmers, ranchers, rural homeowners, owners of farm-related businesses, commercial fishermen, and banks for cooperatives making loans of all kinds to agricultural and marine cooperatives. The System was created in response to the Great Depression and farm crisis of the 1930's.
Dates: 1931-1957 Volume: 134 cubic feet
- Columbia, South Carolina (3rd District including Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina);
- Louisville, Kentucky (4th District including Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee);
- New Orleans, Louisiana (5th District including Alabama and Mississippi).
The records relate to disposal of tracts of agricultural and forest land under the Surplus Property Act of 1944 (Federal land banks functioned as agents for the Farm Credit Administration in these proceedings). The tracts sold were located on military installations such as auxiliary airfields, ordnance plants, engineer works, prisoner-of-war camps, quartermaster depots, air stations, bombing and gunnery ranges in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records include appraisal reports, correspondence, descriptions of tracts and the names of their former owners, offers to purchase, and title opinions. Nontextual records include plat maps.
Records of the Production Credit Corporation, Louisville. The records document the supervision and coordination of agricultural credit activities of the Farm Credit System in the area including loans, payment procedures, laws and contracts, and financial projects covered by bank or corporate mortgages. Included are contracts, corporate papers, correspondence regarding budget regulations, loans, and stocks, executive committee resolutions, general reading files of the Production Credit Commissioner, and newsletters.
Daniel T. Goggin, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Farm Credit Administration, NC 28 (1963).
Record Group 104
Records of the U.S. Mint
The Bureau of the Mint, established in the Department of the Treasury by an act of February 12, 1873, succeeded the Mint of the United States, founded in 1792 at Philadelphia, and continued there after the Federal Government moved to Washington, DC, in 1800. Originally an independent agency, by 1857 the Mint had become responsible to the Department of the Treasury. The Mint has been responsible for manufacturing coins; for receiving, storing, and selling gold and silver bullion; for assaying and refining; and for a variety of functions, such as inspections and gathering statistics. The Mint has operated mints in several cities, as well as assay offices and bullion depositories.
Dates: 1835-1913 Volume: 27 cubic feet
Records of the branch mint, Charlotte. The records document receipt and use of deposits of gold and silver bullion, melting and refining deposits, administering the branch mint and (after 1868) assaying bullion. Included are account books for assayers, melters, and coiners, administrative files, correspondence, financial records, reports, and statements.
Forrest R. Holdcamper, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of the Mint, NC 152 (1958).
Record Group 111
Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer
The Signal Corps, administered by the Chief Signal Officer, was provisionally established by War Department General Order 73 of March 24, 1863. The Office of the Chief Signal Officer was placed under the jurisdiction of Services of Supply (later designated Army Service Forces) in 1942; under the General Staff of the War Department in 1946; and under the General Staff of the Department of the Army in 1947. In 1964, the Office of the Chief Signal Officer became the Office of the Chief of Communications--Electronics.
Dates: 1941-1964 Volume: 11 cubic feet
Records of the Blue Grass Signal and Army Depot, Lexington. The records document the depot's operations, management, and activities and consist of activation and inactivation files, conference files, correspondence, directives, general orders, historical files, memorandums, and organization charts.
Records of 801st Signal Base Depot, Fort Rucker, Alabama. The records document activities at the depot and consist of general orders and correspondence.
Record Group 112
Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army)
The Office of the Surgeon General was established by an act of April 14, 1818. It is the headquarters of the Army Medical Department whose mission is to maintain the health of the Army and conserve its fighting strength. Components of the Office include the Medical Corps, Dental Corps, Veterinary Corps, Medical Service Corps, Army Nurse Corps, and Army Medical Specialist Corps.
Dates: 1898-1899, 1943-1964 Volume: 3 cubic feet
- Atlanta, Georgia, 1898-99;
- Fort Knox, Tennessee, 1947-64;
- Huntsville, Alabama, 1898-99;
- Louisville, Kentucky, 1943-64;
- Savannah, Georgia, 1898-99.
Record Group 114
Records of the Natural Resources Conservation Service
The Soil Conservation Service (SCS) was established in the Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 1935, replacing the Soil Erosion Service which had been established in 1933, and acquiring duties from other Government agencies. In 1937, it began to provide technical and other assistance to farmers in soil conservation districts organized under State laws. In 1938, the SCS was given responsibility for farm forestry programs; in 1944, it was given responsibility for assisting in water conservation programs; and in 1952, it was authorized to assume the soil survey previously run by other USDA units. The SCS conducts soil and snow surveys, river basin surveys, and investigations and watershed activities; assists local groups in planning and developing land and water resources; and gives technical help to landowners and operators who participate in USDA's agricultural conservation, cropland conversion, and cropland adjustment programs.
In 1935, regional offices were established to supervise conservation work in large geographic areas and in 1938-1939 area offices were created to assist the regional offices. State offices replaced area offices in 1942. Regional offices were discontinued in 1954, and the SCS now relies on State offices to give technical and administrative supervision to local units.
Dates: 1934-1970 Volume: 160 cubic feet
Records of the Southeastern Region (Region 2), Spartanburg, South Carolina. Region 2 represented Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia; and Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands after 1939; and Kentucky and Tennessee after 1942.) The records relate to administration, erosion and flood control, forestry, land acquisition and management, and research. Included are administrative and subject files, charts, correspondence, evaluations, field trials, studies, and work plans. Nontextual records include maps and photographs.Records of the following area, regional, and state offices:
- Athens, Georgia (Area), 1939-1941;
- Athens, Georgia (State), 1954-1970;
- Birmingham, Alabama (Area), 1936-1942;
- Columbia, South Carolina (Area), 1935-1942;
- Jackson, Mississippi (State), 1963-1971;
- Montgomery, Alabama (Area), 1939-1942;
- Nashville, Tennessee (State), 1937-1956;
- Raleigh, North Carolina (Area), 1934-1943;
- Rome, Georgia (Area), 1938-1940;
- Salisbury, North Carolina (Area), 1939-1942;
- Spartanburg, South Carolina (Regional), 1934-1953;
- State College, Mississippi (State), 1934-1940;
- Tifton, Georgia (Area), 1938-1941.
The records document erosion control evaluation surveys, individual farm plans, flood control structures and techniques, and other aspects of local soil conservation operations. Included are audits, case files, correspondence, minutes of meetings, and reports. Nontextual records include charts, engineering drawings, maps, and photographs.
Records of Civilian Conservation Corps camps at Cartersville, Georgia, 1935-1942, and Clinton, Alabama, 1935-1942; and consolidated camp records for
- Alabama (1937-1942);
- Kentucky (1935-1942);
- Mississippi (1933-1941);
- North Carolina (1934-1942);
- South Carolina (1935-1942);
- Tennessee (1938-1940).
Records of the Greenville Bedload Experiment Station (Enoree River), South Carolina, 1935-1943. The records relate to the study of soils and include correspondence, progress reports, project studies, and sedimentation studies. Nontextual records include architectural drawings and blueprints.
Partial draft inventory.
Record Group 118
Records of United States Attorneys
The Judiciary Act of September 24, 1789, made provision for U.S. attorneys and marshals who are appointed by the President and have functioned under the general supervision of the Department of Justice since its creation in 1870. U.S. attorneys investigate violations of Federal criminal laws, present evidence to grand juries, prosecute Federal criminal cases, and serve as the Federal Government's attorney in civil litigation in which the United States is involved or has an interest.
Dates: 1824-1975 Volume: 262 cubic feet
- Alabama, Southern District, 1824-1971;
- Florida, Southern District, 1890-1927;
- Mississippi, Northern District, 1962;
- North Carolina, Eastern District, 1919-1941;
- North Carolina, Middle District, 1908-1909;
- Tennessee, Middle District, 1934-1968.
Draft preliminary inventory.
Related Microfilm Publications
M699, Letters Sent by the Department of Justice: General and Miscellaneous, 1818-1904;
M947, Letters received by the Department of Justice from South Carolina, 1871-1884;
M970, Letters received by the Department of Justice from Mississippi, 1871-1884;
M996, Letters received by the Department of Justice from Georgia, 1871-1884;
M1345, Letters received by the Department of Justice from North Carolina, 1871-1884.
Access to some investigative case files may be restricted because of law enforcement or privacy concerns.
Record Group 119
Records of the National Youth Administration
The National Youth Administration (NYA) was established within the Works Progress (later Work Projects) Administration by an Executive order of June 26, 1935. In 1939, it was transferred to the new Federal Security Agency, and in 1942 was moved to the War Manpower Administration. By the end of 1944, it had been liquidated under authority of an act of July 12, 1943.
The NYA conducted two major employment-training programs for needy young people between the ages of 16 and 24. The agency was headed by an administrator, who determined basic policies with the assistance of an advisory committee appointed by the President. Operations in the field were directed by a network of regional, State, and area offices, assisted at each level by advisory committees.
Dates: 1936-1942 Volume: 11 cubic feet
Records of the regional director and the regional office, Region III, Memphis. Region III included Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. The records relate to most aspects of the administration's regional activities, particularly youth engaged in defense production. Records consist of correspondence, data files, and subject files.
Entries 336 through 338, NC-35.
Record Group 121
Records of the Public Buildings Service
Federal construction activities outside the District of Columbia were performed by individual agencies and, to some extent, by special commissions and officers appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury until 1853, when a Construction Branch was created in the Department of the Treasury. The Branch later became the Bureau of Construction in the Office of the Supervising Architect, and that office, in turn, was transferred in 1933 to the Public Buildings Branch of the Procurement Division. The Public Buildings Administration was created in the Federal Works Agency in 1939 by consolidating the Public Buildings Branch and the National Park Service's Branch of Buildings Management. The latter branch had inherited responsibilities for Federal construction in the District of Columbia from the Office of Public Buildings and Public Parks of the National Capital.
An act of June 30, 1949, abolished the Public Buildings Administration and transferred its functions to the newly established General Services Administration (GSA). The Public Buildings Service was established December 11, 1949, by the Administrator of General Services to assume the functions once assigned to the Public Buildings Administration.
The Public Buildings Service designs, constructs, manages, maintains, and protects most Federally-owned and -leased buildings. It is also responsible for the acquisition, utilization, and custody of GSA real and related personal property.
Dates: 1888-1964 Volume: 345 cubic feet
Records of the Acquisition and Disposal Division, Region IV, Atlanta. The records relate to the disposal of real property, and document the sale or donation of Federal property (such as hydroelectric projects, airfields, forts and other military installations, Veterans Administration hospitals, lock and dam sites, Post Office buildings and sites, intercoastal waterways, and satellite fields) in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Nontextual records include architectural and engraving plans, blueprints (including microfilm images on aperture cards), and photographs.
Records of the Building Management Division, Atlanta. The records of building managers relate to construction of post offices, courthouses, and customhouses in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. They include correspondence and proposals. Nontextual records include blueprints, drawings and photographs, some of the construction of the customshouse, Charleston, South Carolina.
Record Group 125
Records of the Judge Advocate General (Navy)
Legal duties of the Department of the Navy were handled by the Office of the Secretary of the Navy until the appointment in 1865 of the Solicitor and Naval Judge Advocate General, who was transferred in 1870 to the Department of Justice. The Office of the Judge Advocate General was created by an act of June 8, 1880. The Office of the Solicitor was established in 1900 and handled non-military legal matters of the Department between 1908 and 1921. The two offices were merged in 1921.
The Office of the Judge Advocate General has authority over military, administrative, and applied law concerning the operation of the Navy. It administers military justice, prepares orders for enforcement of court-martial sentences, initiates corrective legal actions, handles matters relating to international and admiralty law and claims against the Navy, drafts departmental legislation, and administers a legal assistance program.
Dates: 1911-1915 Volume: 6 cubic feet
Records of the Naval Disciplinary Barracks, Port Royal, South Carolina. The records relate to naval courts-martial proceedings and administration of the barracks. They include correspondence, directives, reports, sentences of courts-martial, and service records.
Entry 133 in James R. Masterson, comp., Preliminary Checklist of the Records of the Office of the Judge Advocate General (Navy), 1799-1943, PC 32 (1945).
Record Group 127
Records of the U.S. Marine Corps
The U.S. Marine Corps was created by an act of July 11, 1798, which authorized the Commandant of the Corps to appoint an adjutant, a paymaster, and a quartermaster. The branches of Marine Corps Headquarters developed around those three staff officers and the Commandant. Although the Corps was at first subject to both Army and Navy regulations, an act of June 30, 1834, placed it under exclusive U.S. Navy control except for units detached by Presidential order for Army service. A staff system in the Headquarters organization was begun in 1918 when the first of many sections and divisions was created in the Office of the Commandant. When Headquarters was reorganized along General Staff lines in 1952, the Division of Plans and Policies was abolished and its sections, G-1 through G-4, were elevated to divisional status under assistant chiefs of staff.
The Commandant of the Marine Corps is directly responsible to the Secretary of the Navy for all administrative and operational matters affecting the Corps. These include providing amphibious forces for service with the fleet in seizing and defending advanced naval bases, and conducting land operations essential to a naval campaign. Other duties include providing detachments to serve on naval ships and to protect the property of naval activities.
Dates: 1881-1911 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the Marine Barracks, Pensacola, 1881-1884. The records document administration and operation of the barracks including procurement of supplies and personnel changes, and include contracts, correspondence, and telegrams.
Records of the Marine Barracks, Key West and Norfolk, 1898-1899. The records concern activities of a Marine detachment stationed in Florida and Virginia, and consist of officer of the day reports.
Records of the Marine Officer's School, Port Royal, South Carolina, 1910-1911. The records concern activities at the school, and consist of officer of the day reports.
Entries 103, 107.5, and 114 in Fred G. Halley, comp.,Preliminary Checklist of the Records of the United States Marine Corps, PC 50 (1946).
Record Group 129
Records of the Bureau of Prisons
The Bureau of Prisons was established within the Department of Justice in 1930. Upon creation, it absorbed the functions of the Office of the Superintendent of Prisons, which had been responsible for Federal prison matters since 1907. The new Bureau became responsible for the administration of Federal penal and correctional institutions and for Federal prisoners held in non-Federal institutions.
Dates: 1902*-1921 Volume: 260 cubic feet
*Files for some prisoners who were in other prisons in 1902 and transferred to the Atlanta facility may pre-date 1902.
Records of the Federal Penitentiary, Atlanta. The records provide personal information on each inmate who entered the prison before 1921 (including name, inmate number, age at date of sentencing, race, birthplace, place of conviction, offense proven, release dates, fingerprints), administrative matters for each inmate's incarceration (clothing issued, medical attention, illnesses or death, work assignments, and disciplinary infractions) and letters received by each inmate from family members, friends, and associates. They are inmate case files. Nontextual records are "mug shot" photographs of most inmates.
Record Group 133
Records of the Federal Coordinator of Transportation
The Office of the Federal Coordinator of Transportation was created by the Emergency Transportation Act of June 16, 1933. The mission of the Federal Coordinator, who was appointed by the President, was to relieve the existing national emergency in interstate railroad transportation and safeguard the national transportation system. Field offices were created for the Eastern Region in New York City, the Western Region in Chicago, and the Southern Region in Atlanta. Coordinating committees of carrier representatives, along with advisory committees representing railroad labor and other railroad organizations, were appointed in each region. Sections were established in headquarters to perform comprehensive studies on carpooling, labor relations, property and equipment, research, and transportation and service. The office was terminated in 1936.
Dates: 1933-1936 Volume: 18 cubic feet
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Atlanta. The records relate the office's work with southern railroads to improve labor relations and operations. The records consist of central files, correspondence, docket files, memorandums, minutes, reports, and suggestions.
Record Group 137
Records of the Federal Supply Service
In 1949, the General Services Administration established the Federal Supply Service to replace the Bureau of Federal Supply. It is responsible for the procurement of supplies for civilian executive agencies and administers the utilization and disposal of surplus property and the Government's transportation management system.
Date: 1977 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the Traffic and Travel Services Branch. The records concern surveys of equipment, employees, funds, and other assets allocated to the transportation of goods and people within several Federal agencies, and the policies of those agencies that govern such matters. They include findings and recommendations, questionnaires, regulations, reports, and studies.
Record Group 142
Records of the Tennessee Valley Authority
The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) is a corporation created by Congress in May 1933, to conduct a unified program of resource conservation, development, and use; speed the economic development of the Tennessee Valley; and advance its national defense capabilities. All functions of the Authority are vested in its three-member Board of Directors, appointed by the President. The General Manager, TVA's principal administrative officer, reports to the Board of Directors.
TVA operates the Tennessee River control system, investigates the need for (and the feasibility of) additional river control projects, assists State and local governments in reducing local flood problems, and (with cooperating agencies) encourages use of navigable waterways. At a national laboratory at Muscle Shoals, Alabama, TVA develops new and improved fertilizers. With other agencies, it conducts research and development programs in forestry, fish and game conservation, watershed protection, health services, and economic development of the Tennessee Valley tributary areas.
Dates: 1933-1990 Volume: 4,837 cubic feet
Records of the Board of Directors and Chairmen of the Board, A. E. Morgan, 1933-1938, and David E. Lilienthal, 1941-1946. The records document the establishment of TVA and its budget, development, functions, investigations, organizational structure, and policies; Board of Directors activities; Chairman Morgan's speeches; and the controversy that resulted from President Franklin Roosevelt's dismissal of Morgan. Included are correspondence, reports, and an index to the speeches. Nontextual records include photographs of TVA activities, dams, floods, the 1936 Roosevelt visit, and political cartoons concerning Morgan and TVA.Records of the following members of the Board of Directors, 1933-1990:
- Gordon R. Clapp
- Robert N. Clement
- Harry A. Curtis
- C.H. Dean
- S. David Freeman
- Brooks Hays
- A.R. Jones
- David E. Lilienthal
- Don McBride
- H.A. Morgan
- James P. Pope
- Raymond R. Paty
- Frank E. Smith
- Herbert D. Vogel
- A. J. Wagner
- Frank J. Welch
Records of the Office of the General Manager, 1933-1957. The records document the office's activities in short- and middle-term planning and in managing the agency's current operations. They include budget plans, correspondence, memorandums, and volume files (bulky reports and studies too large to remain with normal correspondence files).
Records of the Office of General Manager, Activity and Project Authorizations, 1938-1984. The records document the budget approval process and include title of the project, start and completion date, estimated costs, completion costs and the objective of each proposed project. The records are budget approval reports.
Records of the Office of General Manager, (Master) Budget Document File, 1933-1978. The records consist of budget programs submitted to the Bureau of the Budget. Included are budget system task force records, change and release estimates, initial estimates, inventories of overhead functions, preliminary work plans, and transcripts of budget submission hearings.
Records of the Office of General Manager, Planning and Budget Correspondence Files, 1933-1988. The records concern budgets submitted to the Bureau of the Budget and Congress. The records include correspondence, cost estimates, expenditures summaries, and work plans.
Records of the Division of Property and Services, Administrative Release System and Announcements, 1933-1990. The records are microfilm copies of directives documenting policy and activities, and consist of announcements, instructions, manuals, and release (authority directives) codes.
Records of the Office of General Manager, Investigation File, 1932-1938. The records relate to a House-Senate Joint Committee investigation of abuse of authority, corruption, and unfair competition with private utilities. Included are charts, reports, statements, summaries, tables, and transcripts of testimony.
Records of the Office of General Manager, Response to the 1942 Tydings Committee. The records document the agency's response to Senator Tydings's inquiries on releasing TVA employees for the war effort. The records include correspondence, questionnaires, and supporting documentation.
Records of the Chief Engineer/Office Manager, 1933-1984. The records concern decisions and policy within the office of Engineering Design and Construction relating to major construction efforts, such as hydroelectric and other power-producing plants, and include correspondence and memorandums.
Records of the Knoxville Office, 1933-1940. The records are the central files, which document official incoming and outgoing communications, including articles, budget and appropriation-related data, copies of state and Federal laws, correspondence, general information bulletins, legal decisions and opinions, and transcripts of Congressional hearings and speeches.
Records of the Washington, D.C., Office, 1933-1978. The records relate to TVA's legislative program and budget material sent to the Office of Management and Budget, the President, and Congress for approval. The records include amendments to the TVA Act, appropriation bills, correspondence, House and Senate hearings, and legislative histories.
Records of the Division of Management Systems, 1954-1981. The records relate to the administration of automatic data processing policies and procedures. They are correspondence.
Records of the Communications Division, 1979-1983. The records document appropriations legislation considered during the 97th Congress and its impact on the TVA budget. The records are correspondence and copies of the legislation.
Records Related to Agriculture
Records of the Agricultural Industries Division, 1933-1952. The records document the study, testing, and practical demonstration of new agricultural equipment and rural electrification. The records include administrative, budget, and financial reports, memorandums, questionnaires, promotional literature, speeches, statistical profiles, and technical reports.
Records of the Agricultural Relations Division, 1935-1976. The records document the development and management of agricultural resources, farming methods, fertilizer, and soil conservation. The records are correspondence.
Records of the Chemical Engineering Department, 1948-1983. The records document TVA's agriculture program, mainly research on improved fertilizers. The records are correspondence.
Records of the Office of Agriculture and Chemical Development, Technical Reports Relating to Chemical Activities, 1933-1975. The records concern the production of improved chemical fertilizers, as well as research on mineralogy, agricultural products, and other aspects of Southern industry and farming. The records consist of internal and public reports.
Records Related to Engineering
Records of the Office of Engineering, Design, and Construction, Reports and Histories of Engineering Projects, 1934-1975. The records document the design and construction of buildings, dams, locks, and powerhouses, including those for the following projects: Alabama (Gilbertsville, Guntersville, Wilson, and Wheeler Dams); North Carolina (Hiwassee Dam); and Tennessee (Chickamauga, Fort Loudon, Norris, Pickwick Landing, and Watts Bar Dams). The records include engineering data, narrative statements, progress reports, and statistics. Nontextual records include charts, drawings, and photographs.
Records of the Office of Engineering, Design, and Construction, 1933-1940s. The records provide construction information on all structures built in connection with each TVA dam or facility including the number and type of electrical appliances installed. There is also information on structures removed or sold. The records are construction project reports
Records of the Engineering Design Division. The records relate to the Lend-Lease program to the Soviet Union, 1942-1945, specifically the design and procurement of equipment to replace war-destroyed dams in the Ural Mountains. The records are correspondence and design computation notebooks. Nontextual records include blueprints.
Architectural Records, Office of Engineering Design and Construction, George Richardson File, 1940-1948. The records concern construction specifications for buildings used by supporting activities, such as cafeterias, housing, hospitals, and community buildings, on TVA installations. They are specifications for demolition, excavation, and grading. Nontextual records include blueprints, drawings, and photographs.
Records of the Tellico Dam Industrial Staff, 1965-1984. The records justify construction of the dam and include reports of opposition to the project. The records are reports, files and data compiled as part of TVA's campaign to convince local governments of the need for the Tellico Dam.
Records of the Wilson Dam,1922-1951. The records are the central files and relate to the construction and operation of the dam by the Army Corps of Engineers, the transfer of the dam to TVA, TVA operation of the dam; commercial power companies; and the power division in the Muscle Shoals, Alabama, area. The records consist of correspondence.
Records Related to Health, Safety, and Environmental Issues
Records of the Environmental Quality Staff, 1969-1978. The records relate to administrative and program activities. Program records consist of case files created for TVA's environmental impact statements, EPA preliminary and final reports, and public and industrial safety task force findings, and include analyses, correspondence, reports, and studies. Administrative records are correspondence.
Records of the Environmental Quality and Research Unit, 1979-1985. The records relate to two alternative energy generation experiments, coal gasification (deriving methanol from coal) and solar pond (utilizing sunlight on treated water for institutional and industrial heating). The records consist of the project task force report and the final project report for the coal gasification project. Nontextual records include photographs of the progress of the solar pond project.
Records of the Environmental Research Center of the Resources Group, 1951-1983. The records document construction of the Phosphate Development Works plant at Muscle Shoals, Alabama, chemical processes and safety measures used at the plant, and agreements between TVA and various military units. The records are correspondence and reports.
Records of the Office of the Chief Conservation Engineer, 1937-1951. The records concern water control programs on agricultural and forest lands, and fertilizer research, production, and distribution. They include correspondence and memorandums.
Records of the Division of Environmental Planning, Malaria Control Program, 1933-1968. The records document TVA's effort to control and prevent endemic malaria through biological, medical, and engineering operations. The records consist of correspondence, interviews, notebooks, project files, reports, results of experiments, studies, and surveys. Nontextual records include geological survey and land acquisition maps, and photographs.
Records of the Division of Health and Safety, 1941-1968. The records document employee health and safety, including personal protective equipment. The records also concern the Division's role as liaison between TVA and other state and federal agencies concerning public health in the Tennessee Valley, including programs for malaria eradication and environmental sanitation. The records include correspondence, memorandums, inspection and survey reports, narrative progress reports, and speeches.
Records of the Health and Safety Air Resources Quality Division, 1941-1978. The records concern monitoring atmospheric conditions and air pollution control. The records are correspondence.
Records of the Office of the Natural Resources, Managers Office, 1979-1982. The records document TVA's efforts to protect, conserve, and provide for the unified development of the natural resources of the Tennessee Valley region. The records are correspondence.
Records of the Public Safety Service Branch, Emergency Preparedness Program, 1950-1987. The records document national emergency response planning for each office within each division. The records are case files, program outlines, and reports.
Records Related to Personnel
Records of the Human Resource Development Staff, 1975-1979. The records relate to educational and training resources designed to upgrade manpower development projects and the educational and skill levels of the valley population. They consist of correspondence.
Records of the Division of Labor Relations, Corporate Relations and Development, Employee Relations, 1962-1985. The records relate to work stoppages and strikes, and contain files on employees who participated in these actions. The records are individual employees' files. Nontextual records include a photograph of strike participants.
Records of the Division of Personnel, 1933-1963. The records relate to job training programs, salary policies, employee-manager relationships, contracts, wage rates and job descriptions. Personnel records also document the activities of E.B. Schultz, Personnel Relations Branch Chief. The records are correspondence and memorandums.
Records Related to Property
Records of the Division of Property and Services, Civil Works Project Files, 1934-1935. The records consist of marketing surveys, conducted with the help of the Civil Works Administration, on electrical household equipment and appliances in use in the Tennessee Valley.
Records Related to Public Relations
Records of the Information Office, 1933-1976. The records document public relations activities and the agency's image. The records consist of circulars, correspondence, magazine articles, and newspaper clippings. Nontextual records include photographs.
Records of the Information Office, Oral History Program, 1976-1983. The records document oral history interviews with Tennessee Valley residents, and former and current TVA employees. The records include an abstract of each interview; biographical sketches of interviewees; a copy of the release agreement; and either an index to information mentioned in the tape, or a transcript of each tape. Nontextual records consist of recordings of each interview.
Records of the Knoxville International Visitors Center, 1963. The records relate to the establishment and operation of the TVA-funded center, including the center's charter and meetings of the Board of Directors. The records include correspondence, minutes, publications, and publicity material.
Records of the Land Planning and Housing Division, 1934-1936. The records include a cross-section survey of the Great Valley of East Tennessee and explanatory notes. Nontextual records consist of aerial photographs and reservoir map surveys.
Records of the Division of Reservoir Properties Relating to Family and Institutional Readjustment, 1933-1953. The records contain comprehensive social and economic information on residents losing their homes or places of employment because of dam and reservoir projects. They consist of interview forms and the final surveys based on the interview data.
Records of the Resource Group, Chief Operating Officer, 1933-1980. The records document the relocation of individual graves and entire cemeteries in areas to be flooded by rising reservoir waters. The records consist of correspondence, final report notebooks, grave removal cards, and surveys. Nontextual records consist of maps of cemeteries.
Records of the Social and Economic Division, 1933-1936. The records concern agriculture, economics, education, health, lifestyle, local government and taxation. They were created in cooperation with the Civil Works Administration and state, county, and municipal governments. Much of the information dates back to 1920 and 1921. The records are studies and surveys.
Records of the Townlift Program, 1963-1983. The records relate to the technical assistance program offered to small cities and towns to revitalize historic structures, off-street parking, and downtown beautification. Nontextual records include architectural and landscape drawings and photographs.
Records of the (Power) Transmission and Customer Group, 1979-1989. The records are energy use publications created to inform valley residents of TVA's energy-use and -conservation programs. The records are pamphlets and brochures.
Records of the Communications Division, 1933-1984. The records document the Authority's programs and policies as they were presented to the Tennessee Valley region and the country at large. They are press releases.
Records of the Distributor Marketing and Services Office of the Customer Group. The records document TVA's efforts to disseminate information to the general public, civic organizations, and employees regarding its energy use program. The records are energy use publications.
Records of the Communications Division. The records document TVA policies and programs as presented to civic organizations, constituents of the TVA, the Congress and regulatory organizations. The records are speeches by board members and other high ranking officials.
Records of the Office of the Chief Administrator. The records document events, schedules of meetings, educational and training opportunities at various locations, 1934-1941. They are newsletters.
Records of the Economic Development Division Office of Customer Service and Marketing. The records document TVA's efforts associated with tourism and general economic development. The records, some nontextual, are scripts and slides.
Records Related to Water Resources and Use
Records of the Commerce Department, 1934-1948. The records document the development of water transportation and increasing commerce in the Tennessee River Valley. Also included are records from the Agricultural Industries Division and the Correlating Committee, which document development and expansion of agricultural production, especially of industries such as food processing; and development of cooperative ventures in agriculture and crafts. The records consist of correspondence from the ceramics research lab, A.D. Spottwood and J. Haden Alldridge (Directors of the Commerce Department), and John P. Ferris (Director of Agricultural Industries, 1935-1948); freight rate studies; material relating to the book, History of Navigation on the Tennessee River (including correspondence, newspaper clippings and pamphlets); and memorandums.
Records of the Flood Plain Management Branch, 1953-1984. The records concern delegated program responsibilities, including policies and procedures, and are correspondence.
Records of the Navigation Development and Regional Studies Department, 1947-1979. The records document TVA's efforts to promote industry in the region via development of river-based transportation. They consist of correspondence and river traffic tables.
Records of the Division of Reservoir Properties, 1937-1979. The records relate to TVA's interests in recreational resource development, the administration of TVA properties, operation and upkeep of dam reservations, provision of employee housing and related facilities. The records are correspondence and reports. Nontextual records include photographs of various TVA recreational parks, lakes, cabins, and homes.
Records of the Office of Tributary Area Development, 1950-1979. The records concern tributary area programs and projects related to TVA's interest in comprehensive unified resource development throughout the Valley. They are correspondence.
Records of the Water Management Division, 1933-1992. The records document budget, planning, and design information, analytical capabilities in environmental chemistry, activities of the Water Quality and Aquatic Biology Departments, and regional surface water, ground water, and aquatic biology conditions. The records are technical reports.
Nontextual records of the Architectural Support Branch, 1934-1949. The records document projects such as dams, reservoirs, office buildings, power facilities, visitors centers. They are original presentation drawings.
Nontextual records of Office of Agriculture and Chemical Development, 1920-1960, [Still Picture File]. The records document agricultural activities in the Tennessee Valley region, including agricultural workers and factories, erosion problems, family farms and families, farm livestock, farm tours, and test-demonstration farms. Also included is construction of the Wilson Nitrate Plant #2 between 1917 and 1920. The records are prints, negatives, lantern slides, and transparencies.
Nontextual records of Office of Engineering Design and Construction,1922-1925. The records, created by the Army Corps of Engineers, document stages of construction on Wilson Dam near Florence, Alabama. The records are photographic negatives.
Nontextual records of Office of Engineering Design and Construction, 1933-1976, [Construction Progress Negatives]. The records document construction progress on buildings, dams, and nuclear and other power plants. They are photographic negatives.
Nontextual records of Office of Engineering Design and Construction, 1937-1948. The records document all phases of construction at the following dam-building projects: Chickamauga, Gilbertsville, Guntersville, Kentucky, Pickwick, Wheeler, and Wilson. The records are panoramic negatives.
Nontextual records of Natural Resources and Economic Development,1933-1963. The records were used by staff to make public presentations about construction sites, flood control, geological formations, experiments, and other TVA programs. They are glass lantern slides.
Nontextual records of the Office of Engineering, Design, and Construction. The records document TVA projects, such as power facilities, visitor centers, housing, work camps, and dams. They were presented to Congress to secure approval for projects. The records are drawings, 1934-1950.
Nontextual records of Resource Group, Chief Operating Officer, 1933-1981, [Kodak Negative Series]. The records document agricultural projects; dedications; families (identified), homes, and farms; TVA events; power facilities; and water races. The records are negatives.
Nontextual records of Resource Group, River Basin Operations, 1930-1970, [River Basin Operations, Forestry Photograph File and Index]. The records document forestry activities, such as tree planting, seed collection, and erosion control and include photographs and an index.
Nontextual records of Division of Reservoir Properties, 1933-1974. The records document recreational facilities and are site plan maps.
Nontextual records of River Basin Operations. The record documents TVA's origin and mission and includes a list of concurrent world, national, and regional events which formed the setting for TVA's establishment. The record is a chart covering the period 1933-1989.
For general records: TVA folder title lists; TVA numeric classification manuals.
For records related to cemetery relocations: database enables detailed searches for individuals or cemeteries.
For forestry photograph file: index.
For selected photographic records: computer generated indexes.
Record Group 143
Records of the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts (Navy)
The Bureau of Provisions and Clothing was established in the Department of the Navy by an act of August 31, 1842, and renamed in 1892 the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts. At first its functions, taken over from the former Board of Navy Commissioners, were to supply the Navy with provisions, clothing, and small stores, and to perform Department accounting. Later many of the duties of the Bureau of Equipment were transferred to it. Until after World War II, the Bureau was also Paymaster General of the Navy. The Bureau, among other functions, supervised the procurement, receipt, storage, shipment, and issuance of food, fuel, clothing, general stores, and other materials; maintained and operated naval supply depots and similar units and supervised activities of Supply Corps officers; procured, allocated, and disbursed funds; and kept money and property accounts. The Bureau of Supplies and Accounts was abolished May 1, 1966, as part of a Defense Department reorganization, and its functions were assigned to the Naval Supply Systems Command.
Dates: 1941-1944 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the Supply Department, Naval Air Station, Atlanta. The records document the activities, organization, and personnel of the department. Included is a scrapbook containing newspaper clippings, photographs, and text.
Record Group 146
Records of the U.S. Civil Service Commission
The U.S. Civil Service Commission was authorized to establish a merit system under which selections for Government service appointments would be based on the demonstrated relative fitness of applicants. On January 1, 1979, many of the functions of the Commission were taken over by the Office of Personnel Management.
Dates: 1897-1904, 1971-1980 Volume: 14 cubic feet
Records of the field office, Columbia, South Carolina, 1897-1904. The records document contacts between local boards of civil service examiners and the Civil Service Commission, Washington, D.C., related to civil service and postal service appointments. The records are correspondence.
Records of the Region IV office, Atlanta, 1971-1980. The records relate to an agreement to review and certify as adequate personnel and practices of those non-Federal government agencies in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee receiving Federal funds authorized by the Comprehensive Employment Training Act (CETA) of 1970. For South Carolina, there are reviews of plans for compliance with Federal merit and equal opportunity standards. The records include correspondence, local government merit system files and personnel plans, manuals, reviews, and reports.
Record Group 147
Records of the Selective Service System, 1940-
An Executive order of September 23, 1940, established the Selective Service System to provide an orderly, just, and democratic method of obtaining men for military and naval service. Except between December 5, 1942, and December 5, 1943, when it was placed under the jurisdiction of the War Manpower Commission, the System was responsible to the President.
The System operated through a director and national headquarters, regional boards, State headquarters, medical and registrant advisory boards, boards of appeal, and local boards. There was a local board for each county and for each unit of 30,000 people in urban areas. Through the local boards the System registered, classified, and selected for induction male citizens and aliens subject to service.
Dates: 1942-1944 Volume 1 cubic foot
Records of state headquarters for Alabama, North Carolina, and Tennessee. The records document the selection of men for service in the armed forces. Records of registrants consist of:
- DSS Form 301, Application by Alien for Relief from Military Service;
- DSS Form 304, Alien's Personal History and Statement.
Record Group 154
Records of the War Finance Corporation
The War Finance Corporation was created by an act of April 5, 1918, to give financial support to industries essential to the war effort and to banking institutions that aided such industries. After the armistice, the Corporation assisted in the transition to peacetime by financing railroads under Government control, and by making loans to American exporters and agricultural cooperative marketing associations. The Corporation established agricultural loan agencies in farming areas to facilitate handling its agricultural loans, and cooperated with several livestock loan companies. It was abolished on July 1, 1939.
Dates: 1921-1929 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the agricultural loan office, Atlanta. The records relate to most aspects of operations in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Included are applications, ledgers, and reports.
Entries 258 through 265, preliminary draft inventory.
Record Group 155
Records of the Wage and Hour Division
The Public Contracts Division was created to administer the Walsh-Healey Public Contracts Act of June 30, 1936, which required Government supply contracts exceeding $10,000 to stipulate minimum wage, overtime pay, safety, and health standards. The Wage and Hour Division was established in the Department of Labor to administer the minimum wage, overtime compensation, equal pay, and child labor standards provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act of June 25, 1938. The two divisions were consolidated in 1942, and their area of responsibility was expanded by subsequent legislation.
Dates: 1939-1975 Volume: 423 cubic feet
Records of the following offices:
- Atlanta, Georgia, 1959-1971;
- Birmingham, Alabama, 1951-1971;
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 1972-1973;
- Jackson, Mississippi, 1963-1974;
- Lexington, Kentucky, 1972;
- Louisville, Kentucky, 1963-1975;
- Nashville, Tennessee, 1954-1966;
- Raleigh, North Carolina, 1955-1959;
- Santurce, Puerto Rico, 1957-1961.
The records relate to claims for payment of back wages. They are investigative case files including correspondence, reports, transcripts, and exhibits such as payroll and accounting records.
Records of Division offices, 1939-1945. The records relate to inspections of various businesses in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia regarding compliance with wage-hour and public contract laws, Federal enforcement of fair labor standards laws, and claims for payment of back wages. Records include computation sheets, correspondence, and wage report summaries.
Record Group 156
Records of the Office of the Chief of Ordnance
The Ordnance Department was established as an independent bureau of the War Department by an act of May 14, 1812. It was responsible for the procurement and distribution of ordnance and equipment, the maintenance and repair of equipment, and the development and testing of new types of ordnance. The Department was abolished in 1962, and its functions were transferred to the U.S. Army Materiel Command. Among the field establishments maintained by the Ordnance Department within the United States have been armories, arsenals, and ordnance depots, district offices, and plants.
Dates: 1825-1966 Volume: 132 cubic feet
- Alabama Ordnance Works, Sylacauga, Alabama, 1941-1946;
- Anniston Ordnance Depot, Alabama, 1944-1966;
- Atlanta Ordnance Depot, Georgia, 1942-1950;
- Augusta Arsenal, Georgia, 1825-1840, 1865-1955;
- Birmingham Ordnance Depot, Alabama, 1945-1950;
- Blue Grass Ordnance Depot/Lexington-Blue Grass Army Depot, Richmond/Lexington, Kentucky, 1943-1964;
- Charleston General Ordnance Depot, South Carolina, 1919;
- Charleston Ordnance Works, South Carolina, 1942-1953;
- Columbia Arsenal, Tennessee, 1889-1905;
- East Tennessee Ordnance Works, 1934-1945;
- Gadsden Ordnance Plant, Alabama, 1940-1942;
- Holston Ordnance Works, Kingsport, Tennessee, 1942-1950;
- Louisville Ordnance Depot, Kentucky, 1861-1863;
- Milan Arsenal, Tennessee, 1941-1950;
- Mississippi Ordnance Plant, Flora, Mississippi, 1942-1945;
- Nashville Ordnance Depot, Tennessee, 1862-1864;
- Ohio River Ordnance Works, Henderson, Kentucky, 1941-1950;
- Ordnance Training Center, Camp Hancock, Georgia, 1918-1919;
- Tampa Ordnance Depot, Florida, 1898;
- Volunteer Ordnance Works, Chattanooga, Tennessee, 1942-1945;
- Wolf Creek Ordnance Plant, Milan, Tennessee, 1940-1946.
Record Group 158
Records of the Capital Issues Committee
A Capital Issues Committee was created within the Federal Reserve Board in January 1918; in May it was replaced by a new Capital Issues Committee, an independent agency under authority of the War Finance Corporation Act of April 5, 1918. The two committees were created to determine whether proposed issues of securities were in the national interest, and to discourage the diversion of capital to unessential projects. The Committee suspended its activities at the end of 1918, and a Presidential proclamation of August 30, 1919, directed it to terminate its affairs. Much of the work of the Committee was handled by the subcommittees (or district committees) that were established in each Federal Reserve district.
Date: 1918 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the field office, Atlanta. The records relate to applications by organizations proposing the issuance of stocks, bonds, and other securities in the Atlanta Federal Reserve District and the recommendations of the committees in each case. They consist of correspondence and committee meeting minutes.
Entries 18 and 19 in William F. Sherman and Norwood N. Biggs, comps., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Capital Issues Commission, NC 85 (1964).
Record Group 163
Records of the Selective Service System (World War I)
The Selective Service System, under the direction of the Office of the Provost Marshal General, was authorized by an act of May 18, 1917, to register and induct men into military service. Much of the management of the draft was left to the States, where local draft boards were established on the basis of 1 for every 30,000 people. These boards, appointed by the President on the recommendation of the State Governor, registered, classified, inducted, and delivered to mobilization camps men who were eligible for the draft. Legal and medical advisory boards assisted the local boards and registrants, and district boards were established to pass on occupational exemption claims and to hear appeals. The Provost Marshal General's Office worked with local and district boards through Selective Service State Headquarters. Classification ceased shortly after the Armistice on November 11, 1918, and by May 31, 1919, all Selective Service organizations were closed except the Office of the Provost Marshal General, which was abolished July 15, 1919.
Dates: 1917-1918 Volume: 7,484 cubic feet
Records of district boards in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records document the process of presidential appeals, which involved two steps. A prospective inductee could appeal first to district boards within each state, and second, to the President. An exemption was based on employment in agricultural or industrial work, both considered crucial to the war effort. Three judge advocates ruled for the President on whether or not to affirm the district board's decision. Only those cases where the decision was affirmed have been retained.
Records of local boards of all states, and of Alaska, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. The records document the three draft registrations during World War I, declared for the U.S. in April 1917:
- June 5, 1917: for all men ages 21-31;
- June 5, 1918: for all men who had reached age 21 since June 1917;
- September 1, 1918: for all men between 18 and 45.
Men who enlisted to serve at that time, or who had been previously serving in armies of Britain, Canada, and other countries, would not have a U.S. draft registration record. Generally draft boards were established by a county and were composed of the sheriff, county clerk, and county health officer. For cities over 30,000, a board was created for each multiple of 30,000. These records consist of the 24 million draft cards for the U.S. and its major territories, arranged by draft board and thereunder alphabetically by surname and thereunder by first name of draft registrant. The draft cards contain the following information: name; home address; age at registration; date of birth; place of birth (not on September 1918 cards); race; if naturalized, the country of birth; the present occupation; name of employer; marital status (not on all registrations); prior military service; basis for draft exemption, if claimed; height; type of build; color of eyes; color of hair; physical disabilities, if any; scars, if any; date of registration; signature of registrar; and number/name of the draft board. Also shown are the order number and serial (or "red ink") number assigned to each registrant, the coded index key number assigned to each draft board, and the address of the board.
Records of local boards for all states, and for Alaska, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, for the first registration, June 5, 1917. The records document the movement of an individual through the induction process, including the Army mobilization camp each inductee was sent to, the date sent, and whether the inductee was accepted by the Army at the camp. Classification lists include the draft classification assigned to each inductee (such as 1- A, 1-F). The records are docket books (Provost Marshal General's Office Form 178) and classification lists (PMGO Form 1000), arranged by state, then by local board coded index key number, then by order number for each registrant. The order number can be obtained from the draft registration card. Some boards copied the information from the docket books into the classification lists which were used for the second and third registrations. About 800 local boards destroyed their docket books.
Records of local draft boards in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records document men ordered to report for induction and those who were actually inducted, the name of the mobilization camp each was sent to, dates men were ordered to report, dates they actually reported and were accepted at a camp, and information on any who failed to report or were rejected. Some records also give the occupation of each registrant, his classification rating, and an indication of those who failed to report. These records consist of two forms: PMGO 164A, List of Men Ordered to Report for Induction, for 1917, and PMGO 1029, All Men from a Local Board Actually Inducted, for 1918. Records are arranged by state, thereunder by local board coded index key number, thereunder chronologically by reporting date.
Records of state and local boards in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records document delinquents (men who did not appear to be registered and/or drafted), and deserters (men who were inducted and then went AWOL), and include remarks by local boards and actions taken by state Selective Service headquarters and usually the type of offense (whether draftee failed to return questionnaire, or failed to report for induction.) The records include the following: Form 4003, Final Lists of Delinquents and Deserters; PMGO Form 146A, Lists of Those Who Failed to Report; PMGO Form 1013, Lists of Those Who Failed to Report for Physical or to Submit Questionnaires; and an index to delinquents and deserters for Alabama and Kentucky.
Records of district boards for Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records document appeals for exemptions from the draft heard by the board. They are dockets of cases heard.
Records of the local exemption board, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, February 17, 1919 The records document the challenge issued by J. S. Kuykendall, secretary of the local draft board, to all other draft boards in the country to try to get all men registered for the September 12, 1918 draft within one day's time To do this, local banks declared a holiday and offered volunteers from among their employees to help with the registration process. Along with other volunteers, they accomplished the task and Winston-Salem was the first board in the country to complete the process, with 4,761 men registered. Philadelphia finished about 30 minutes later. The record is a scrapbook, prepared by Kuykendall, including photographs of all volunteers, news-clippings about the board's work, and a list of all men registered and a record of all the delinquents and deserters from the local board.
Box contents list.
Maps indicating boundaries of local boards.