Sharing the Excitement of History
The main objectives
- To provide educators and parents with methods and materials for using primary sources as teaching tools.
- To provide students with hands-on opportunities to practice historical thinking skills and work directly with primary sources to learn historical content.
- To provide members of the general public with engaging activities that introduce them to the holdings of the National Archives and encourage further research.
ReSource Room — This is a materials headquarters where educators and parents can copy document facsimiles and exercises, preview materials available for sale in the Archives store, learn more about what the National Archives has to offer, exchange ideas with others, and where families can participate in on-site Archival Adventures.
Learning Lab — This will provide an on-site peak experience related to the U.S. Constitution for middle school students in an authentic environment that is linked to pre-visit and post-visit in-class activities.
The key features
- Documents in a variety of formats (written documents, photographs, maps, cartoons, sound recordings, motion pictures).
- Methods and materials relate to national curriculum standards.
- Documents drive all of the activities and programs.
- Hands-on (Hollinger boxes, white gloves, Mylar sleeves)
- Welcoming atmosphere provided by trained volunteer docents and staff members.
- The Learning Center is located just steps from the Rotunda, on the west side of the exhibits level of the National Archives Building.
- The ReSource Room is open Monday–Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; reservations are not necessary.
- The Learning Lab will be open Monday–Friday and will offer sessions at 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.; reservations will be required.
- For more information, send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Boeing Learning Center at the National Archives Building is the result of a successful partnership among the National Archives, the Foundation for the National Archives, Gallagher and Associates, Northern Light Productions, and Fablevision.