National Archives at Atlanta

National Archives at Atlanta

RG 156 - Office of Chief of Ordnance, Historical Records - East Tennessee Ordnance Works


For questions regarding these records, please contact us at (770) 968-2100 or atlanta.archives@nara.gov

Historical Records, 1943-1945National Archives Identifier 6850921
This series consists of historical records of the East Tennessee Ordnance Works in Copperhill. Records in this series concern subjects related to ordnance administration, contractor administration, personnel, production, statistical data, shipments, and budget estimates.

        Box 1: Historical Record, 1943-1945

        All of these historical records address—general, contract, construction, production, personnel

         

        Folder 1: Miscellaneous (Historical Record)

        ▪ October 1, 1944 - December 31, 1944

        ▪ July 1, 1944- September 30, 1944

        - 2 year anniversary of producing oleum to send to other ordnances

        ▪ April 1, 1944- June 30, 1944

        - low levels of production—almost forced to shut down, but able to bring production back to life

        ▪ January 1, 1944- March 31, 1944

        - Stopped full scale production—only Volunteer Ordnance Works was receiving shipments and storage was backing up

        ▪ October 1, 1943-  December 31, 1943

        - November 1943 was the best production month in the history of East Tennessee Ordnance Works

        ▪ July 1, 1943- September 30, 1943

        - Received an Army “E” award for the hard work of East Tennessee Ordnance Works contribution to the war effort and made a speech to the public about how important ordnance work is

        ▪ April 1, 1943- June 1, 1943

        - Contract negotiations

        - Responded to an oleum shortage in Kentucky, proving great production

        ▪ January 1, 1943- March 31, 1943

        ▪ January 1, 1939- December 31, 1942

        - When Volunteer Ordnance Works was created it was vital to have a source of sulfuric acid nearby

        - Construction began on November 28, 1941 and formally the Ordnance Department’s on August 10, 1942

        - Started production on July 14, 1942

        - Originally they were only to be contracted with Volunteer Ordnance Works, but the growing demand for oleum allowed them to ship to other ordnance districts (65% Volunteer Ordnance Works, 35% elsewhere)

        - Smallest ordnance works depot (2 officers and 7 civilians)

        - Handwritten contract negotiations

        - Guidelines for Quarterly Historical Reports

Top