Introductory Research Activity
Introduction to Documents
- This evening, with the help of a family member or an adult who is close to you, look through the souvenirs of your life that have been saved as you have grown. For example, these might include a photograph, a letter, a diary, a newspaper clipping, a birth certificate, a report card, or a library or social security card. Select one item that you are willing to share with your classmates and teacher, and bring it to class.
- During your turn in class, present your document providing the following information:
- What type of document is this?
- What is the date of the document?
- Who created the document?
- How does the document relate to you?
- Consider, for your document and the documents of your classmates, responses to the following questions:
- What does the existence of this document say about whoever created it?
- What does the existence of this document say about whoever saved it?
- What does the existence of this document say about American life in this era?