Executive Order 9788--Terminating the Office of Alien Property Custodian and transferring its functions to the Attorney General
Source: The provisions of Executive Order 9788 of Oct. 14, 1946, appear at 11 FR 11981, 12123, 3 CFR, 1943-1948 Comp., p. 575, unless otherwise noted.
By virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and statutes, including the Trading with the Enemy Act of October 6, 1917, 40 Stat. 411, as amended, and the First War Powers Act, 1941, 55 Stat. 838, as amended, and as President of the United States, it is hereby ordered, in the interest of the internal management of the Government, as follows:
1. The Office of Alien Property Custodian in the Office for Emergency Management of the Executive Office of the President, established by Executive Order No. 9095 of March 11, 1942, is hereby terminated; and all authority, rights, privileges, powers, duties, and functions vested in such Office or in the Alien Property Custodian or transferred or delegated thereto are hereby vested in or transferred or delegated to the Attorney General, as the case may be, and shall be administered by him or under his direction and control by such officers and agencies of the Department of Justice as he may designate.
2. All property or interests vested in or transferred to the Alien Property Custodian or seized by him, and all proceeds thereof, which are held or administered by him on the effective date of this order are hereby transferred to the Attorney General.
3. All personnel, property, records, and funds of the Office of Alien Property Custodian are hereby transferred to the Department of Justice.
4. This order supersedes all prior Executive orders to the extent that they are in conflict with this order.
5. This order shall become effective on October 15, 1946.
Editorial note: The transfer of functions to the Department of Justice was made permanent by Reorganization Plan No. 1 of 1947, 12 FR 4534, 3 CFR, 1943-1948 Comp., p. 1070, effective July 1, 1947. The Office of Alien Property was transferred to the Civil Division of the Department of Justice by Attorney General Order 249-61 of Sept. 1, 1961, and was subsequently abolished by Executive Order 11281of May 13, 1966, Chapter 31.