Ice Skating in the National Archives
More than a century before an ice skater would land a historic quadruple axel jump in 2022, people across the U.S. and the Alaska Territory strapped on their skates and scritched their way across frozen ponds. The National Archives has skating-related photos and patents dating back to the 19th century.
You can learn about the impact of sports in the exhibit All American: The Power of Sports, which runs in the Lawrence F. O’Brien Gallery in Washington, DC, from September 16, 2022, through January 7, 2024.
Read more about ice skating-related holdings at the National Archives:
- The Unwritten Record: Ice Skating at Rockefeller Center, 1937 (2013)
- The Unwritten Record: This Week in Universal News: Ice Skating Chimpanzee, 1963 (2014)
- Catalog: President Ronald Reagan's Remarks to Members of the United States Winter Olympic Team, 1988
- Catalog: Henry Ford Ice Skating, 1937
- Catalog: Kate S. Todd Improvement in Skating-Wands, 1872