Press Release · Friday, June 5, 1998
June 5, 1998
Additional Images Added to National Archives Web Site
College Park, MD . . . The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has launched on the Internet an additional installment of digitized images of some of its most significant documents. As part of NARAs Electronic Access Project, this release totals 8,000 items from the Franklin Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan Libraries, the Center for Legislative Archives, located at the National Archives Building in Washington, DC; the Old Military and Civil Records LICON, the National Personnel Records Center, the Pacific Region; and the Pacific Alaska Region. Currently, there are more than 348,000 descriptions and 60,000 digitized images in NAIL (NARA ARCHIVAL INFORMATION LOCATOR). By February 1999, approximately 120,000 items will be digitized and available electronically. The Electronic Access Project will enable anyone, anywhere, with a computer connected to the Internet to search descriptions of NARA's nationwide holdings and view digital copies of many important documents. The project is funded by the U.S. Congress with the support of Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska.
Highlights of the recently added materials include:
- Army, Marine Corps and Navy military personnel files for Douglas MacArthur, John F. Kennedy, Benjamin O. Davis, Audie Murphy, and Elvis Presley;
- Prohibition court cases;
- Herbert Eugene Valentines sketches of Civil War scenes;
- 476 additional speeches by Franklin Roosevelt and 455 additional photographs;
- 100 cartoons from the Berryman Political Cartoon Collection;
- Immigration investigation files relating to the enforcement of the Chinese Exclusion Acts 1882-1943.
Visit the "Recently Added Data" page for additional information on new information posted on this site.
For additional PRESS information, please contact the National Archives Public Affairs staff at (301) 837-1700 or by e-mail.
This page was last reviewed on January 30, 2013.
Contact us with questions or comments.