Press Release · Thursday, May 27, 1999
May 27, 1999
National Archives to Open Additional JFK Materials
College Park, MD . . On Tuesday, June 1, 1999, the National Archives at College Park will make available to the public additional documents related to President John F. Kennedy, in accordance with the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992. These materials include:
- Itineraries of the Presidential campaign of then Senator John F. Kennedy in 1959 and 1960; copies of public statements and press conferences of Senator Kennedy; documents showing the dates, starting points, destinations, and mileage of the flights taken by the campaign plane during 1960, with the exception of July 1960; and related documents concerning the campaign. 311 pages.
- The Russell Holmes Papers. 50,000 pages of CIA documents maintained by Holmes in his role as the custodian of the Oswald 201 file, as well as the Segregated Collection of CIA records compiled for the investigation of the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA). Holmes was the CIA liaison for all inquiries on the assassination after the end of the HSCA investigation until his retirement.
- Documents from the Department of Defense, Department of Justice, General Services Administration, and other sources relating to the disposition of the casket used to transport the body of President Kennedy from Dallas to Bethesda Naval Hospital. 43 pages.
- FBI records consisting of three series: 50,000 pages of "House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA) Administrative Folders"; 9,000 pages of "HSCA Ticklers"; and 13,000 pages of "JFK Act Administrative Files."
- 9,000 pages of CIA miscellaneous files including the files of the Director of Central Intelligence (DCI), CIA History files, Office of Security files, and other records series. The subjects covered include a wide range of issues related to the assassination: DCI meeting notes, Cuba, and other matters.
The documents will be available in Lecture Room E at the National Archives facility in College Park, MD, located at 8601 Adelphi Road, at 9 AM on Tuesday, June 1. Researchers will be limited to one box or file at a time.
Research Room hours are: Monday and Wednesday 8:45 A.M. - 5 P.M.; Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:45 A.M. - 9 P.M.; Saturday 8:45 A.M. - 4:45 P.M. Research cards are required. Personal property, i.e. notebooks, briefcases, purses or fountain pens, are not allowed in the research room. Lockers are available. Debit cards may be purchased for the photocopying machines.
BY CAR the new facility is approximately 40 minutes from downtown Washington, DC. Take North Capitol Street north, turn right onto Michigan Avenue, (Michigan Avenue becomes Queens Chapel Road in Maryland,) continue to East West Highway, turn left on Adelphi Road and follow it to the Archives II entrance on the right. Parking is available.
BY SHUTTLE from the National Archives in Washington, DC, board the bus on 7th Street between Pennsylvania and Constitution Avenues. The shuttle leaves on the hour, from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M., returning to the downtown building from Archives II on the hour. Researchers may use the shuttle on a space available basis with National Archives staff members receiving priority boarding.
For additional PRESS information, please contact the National Archives Public Affairs staff at (301) 837-1700 or by e-mail.
This page was last reviewed on January 7, 2013.
Contact us with questions or comments.