National Archives Holds Big! Family Day Saturday, April 18
Press Release · Sunday, January 3, 2010
- [icon-link label="Lawrence F. O’Brien Gallery" icon="photo" classes="" link="/nae/visit/gallery.html" /]
- Directions and Hours
- [icon-link label="Visitor's Map" icon="file-pdf-o" classes="" link="/nae/visit/archives-map.pdf" /]
- [icon-link label="Calendar of Events" icon="calendar" classes="" link="/calendar/" /]
Washington, DC…On Saturday, April 18, the National Archives celebrates its new BIG! exhibition with a free Family Day from noon to 3 pm. All Family Day programs will be held in the National Archives Building in Washington, DC, which is fully accessible. Attendees should use the Special Events entrance on the corner of 7th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW.
Celebrate all things BIG! with special activities designed for children and their families.
- Treasure Hunt (Lawrence F. O’Brien Gallery)
- Use a pantograph to make large-scale drawings (Lawrence F. O’Brien Gallery Lobby)
- Listen to Tall Tales from American folklore (Washington Conference Room)
- Declare BIG! speeches from American history (Jefferson Conference Room)
- Color in our large-scale drawing of the Faulkner Murals from the Rotunda (Jefferson Conference Room)
- Design and receive a BIG! award (Jefferson Conference Room)
- Put together BIG! floor puzzles and build a BIG! block tower (Madison Conference Room)
- Sign a BIG! Petition (Presidential Conference Room Lobby)
- Archival Adventures (Boeing Learning Center)
The National Archives celebrates its 75th year in 2009 with a new exhibition featuring big records, big events, and big ideas. At a time when many people struggle to see documents and images on smaller and smaller screens, the National Archives exhibition “BIG!” presents the nation’s original record in its full-scale glory. From the 13-foot scroll of the Articles of Confederation, the first constitution of the United States, to the size 22 sneaker of basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal, the items in the exhibition are pieces of the American story—writ large. The exhibit, on display in the Lawrence F. O’Brien Gallery of the National Archives Building, runs through January 3, 2010. Spring hours (through Labor Day) are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., daily. Admission is free. BIG! related items and the books featured above are available in the Archives Shop. Call (202) 357-5271.
All programs are free and open to the public. To verify dates and times of the programs, call 202-357-5000 or view the Calendar of Events online.
# # #
For press information, contact the National Archives Public Affairs Staff at 202-357-5300.
This page was last reviewed on August 15, 2016.
Contact us with questions or comments.