Behind the Scenes Look at New National Archives National Personnel Records Center Media Tour of New Facility Thursday, October 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
Press Release · Thursday, October 6, 2011
- NARA Public Affairs Staff
- St. Louis, Public Programs
WHAT: The media is invited to attend a press tour of the National Archives National Personnel Records Center in anticipation of the dedication of the new facility on Saturday, October 15, 2011. The tour will include:
- Stack areas that house more than 100 million personnel files of veterans and former civil servants;
- Preservation labs where original documents are restored;
- Opportunity to view original personnel files of famous veterans such as Jackie Robinson, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, George Patton, Jack Kerouac, and Alex Haley; and
- Exhibition titled “Documented Rights” illustrating the continuing process of defining human and civil rights, on display through March 2, 2012.
WHO: Bryan McGraw, Director of the National Archives at St Louis
Marta O’Neill, Preservation Officer, National Personnel Records Center
WHEN: 10 AM, Thursday, October 13, 2011.
WHERE: National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive (1829 Dunn Road), St Louis, MO. Next to Hazelwood East Middle School off Dunn Road (for GPS purposes use 1829 Dunn Road).
From the North: Take U.S. 367 South to I-270 East. Take I-270 East to Bellefontaine Road (exit 32). Turn left onto Bellefontaine Road, then an immediate left onto Dunn Road. NPRC is on the right at 1 Archives Drive.
From the South: Take I-70 to I-170 North (exit 238). Take I-170 North to I-270 East (exit 10B). Go east on I-270 to Bellefontaine Road (exit 32).
The National Personnel Records Center is one of the National Archives and Records Administration's largest operations. It is the central repository of personnel-related records for both the military and civil services of the United States Government. Its mission is to provide world class service to government agencies, military veterans and their family members, former civilian Federal employees, and the general public.