National Archives Hosts Lincoln Symposium at National Archives at College Park, March 24
Press Release · Saturday, March 24, 2012
Fifteenth annual symposium to focus on "The Latest in Lincoln Scholarship"
Washington, DC…The National Archives hosts a free daylong symposium, The Latest in Lincoln Scholarship, on Saturday, March 24, 2012, from 9 a.m.–6 p.m., at the National Archives at College Park, MD. The symposium will provide historical insights into some of the most critically important facets of Lincoln’s Presidency. National Archives Experience Director Marvin Pinkert will make opening remarks.
The National Archives at College Park, MD, is located at 8601 Adelphi Road, and is fully accessible. See directions.
The Latest in Lincoln Scholarship speakers and sessions include:
- John M. Barr, Assistant Professor of History, Lone Star College Kingwood:
Loathing Lincoln: An American Political Tradition, 1858–2011
- Michael Burlingame, Chancellor Naomi B. Lynn Distinguished Chair in Lincoln Studies, University of Illinois Springfield:
Lincoln as the Indispensable Man
- Daniel W. Crofts, Professor of History, The College of New Jersey:
The Would-Be Thirteenth Amendment of March 1861: Lincoln's Last-Ditch Overture to Arrest Secession
- Eric Foner, DeWitt Clinton Professor of History, Columbia University:
The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery
- Jason R. Jividen, Assistant Professor of Politics, Saint Vincent College:
American Progressivism and the Lincoln Legacy
- Presentation of the Hay-Nicolay Dissertation Prize
- Speakers Panel, Moderated by Michelle Krowl, Civil War and Reconstruction Reference Specialist, Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress
- Presentation of the 15th Annual Abraham Lincoln Institute Book Award
See details online [www.lincoln-institute.org/symposia/sym2012/index.htm]. The Symposium is free but advance registration is required: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; mail Abraham Lincoln Institute, Inc., c/o Clark Evans, General Secretary, 94 Cumberland Court, Frederick, MD 21702; or phone 301-620-0292. Please provide contact information for each registrant, including e-mail and postal addresses and phone number. Please bring a photo ID with you to the symposium.
The National Archives presents the15th Annual symposium, The Latest in Lincoln Scholarship in partnership with the Abraham Lincoln Institute, with generous support from the Foundation for the National Archives.
# # #
For press information contact the National Archives Public Affairs staff at 202 357-5300.
This page was last reviewed on August 15, 2016.
Contact us with questions or comments.