National Archives Hosts Lincoln Symposium at National Archives at College Park, March 23
Press Release · Saturday, March 23, 2013
Sixteenth annual symposium on "The Latest in Lincoln Scholarship"
Washington, DC…The National Archives hosts a free daylong symposium, The Latest in Lincoln Scholarship, on Saturday, March 23, 2013, from 9 a.m.–6 p.m., at the National Archives at College Park, MD. The symposium will provide historical insights into some of the most critically important facets of Lincoln’s Presidency. Trevor Plante, Chief of Reference at the National Archives Building in Washington, DC, will make opening remarks. The National Archives at College Park, MD, is located at 8601 Adelphi Road, and is fully accessible. See directions.
The Latest in Lincoln Scholarship speakers and sessions include:
- William C. Harris, Professor of History Emeritus, North Carolina State University: Lincoln and the Union Governors Revisited
- Martin P. Johnson, Assistant Professor of History, Miami University-Hamilton:
Solving the Mysteries of the Gettysburg Address
- Mark E. Neely, Jr., McCabe-Greer Professor in the American Civil War Era, Penn State University: The Elections of 1863
- James Oakes, Professor of History, City University of New York: The Emancipation Proclamation: Myths and Realities
- Mark Reinhart, Author of Abraham Lincoln on Screen: Fictional and Documentary Portrayals on Film and Television: Spielberg and the Century Before: The History of Lincoln Screen Works
- Speakers Panel, Moderated by Michelle Krowl, Civil War and Reconstruction Reference Specialist, Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress
- Presentation of the 16th Annual Abraham Lincoln Institute Book Award
See details [www.lincoln-institute.org/symposia/sym2013/index.htm]
The Symposium is free but advance registration is required: email firstname.lastname@example.org mail Abraham Lincoln Institute, Inc., c/o Clark Evans, General Secretary, 94 Cumberland Court, Frederick, MD 21702; or phone 301-620-0292. Please provide contact information for each registrant, including email and postal addresses and phone number. Please bring a photo ID with you to the symposium.
The National Archives presents the 16th Annual symposium, The Latest in Lincoln Scholarship in partnership with the Abraham Lincoln Institute, with generous support from the Foundation for the National Archives.
# # #
For press information, contact the National Archives Public Affairs staff at 202-357-5300.
This page was last reviewed on August 15, 2016.
Contact us with questions or comments.