Search Records Online
U.S. Internal Revenue Assessment Lists, 1862-1866 (Record Group 58)
Please Note: Most records are just for 1862-1866, but records for a few states, namely Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon and Wyoming cover additional years, up to 1874 or beyond.
Tax Records at the National Archives, Narations blog post from Sept. 2010
More on Tax Records at the National Archives, Narations blog post from Oct. 2010
1798 Federal Direct Tax Records for Connecticut, Prologue article, from Spring 2007
Income Tax Records of the Civil War Years, Prologue article, from Winter 1986
"What does the Civil War have to do with Income Taxes?", article The Civil History newsletter, April 2011, p. 3
Taxes! , a special topics page
What are people asking on History Hub about Genealogy Records?
- Seeking information about Letticia "Letty" Durham
- 1950 Census: Rural Enumerator Characteristics
- Seeking records of W. W. "Snake Thompson" internal revenue agent in Oklahoma, 1910-1940
- Can I get a certificate of nonexistence?
- How do I find street names on 1950 Census?