Checklist of Records Relating to World War II at Riverside
This checklist provides researchers with a brief description of the holdings, both original records and microfilm, relating to World War II available at NARA's Pacific Region (Riverside).
Online users can access information by
- the record group title (i.e., name of the agency that created the records)
- the record group number (i.e., numerical designation for the agency that created the records.)
For information on doing research at NARA, visit the Reseach area of Archives.gov.
For additional information about the National Archives at Riverside
For additional World War II resources in NARA, see the World War II Records page.
Agricultural Economics, Bureau of RG 83
Army Air Forces RG 18Army Corps of Engineers RG 77 Civilian Defense, Office of RG 171
Coast Guard, U.S. RG 26Customs Service, U.S RG 36 Engineers, Office of the Chief of RG 77 Foreign Records Seized, National Archives Collection of RG 242 Immigration and Naturalization Service RG 85
Selective Service System RG 147
War Assets Administration RG 270
War Production Board RG 179
RG 18 Records of the Army Air Forces
RG 26 Records of the U.S. Coast Guard
RG 36 Records of the U.S. Customs Service
RG 41 Records of the Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation
RG 49 Records of the Bureau of Land Management
RG 71 Records of the Bureau of Yards and Docks
RG 75 Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
RG 77 Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers
RG 83 Records of the Bureau of Agricultural Economics
RG 85 Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service
RG 92 Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General
RG 96 Records of the Farmers Home Administration
RG 111 Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer
RG 114 Records of the Natural Resources Conservation Service
RG 147 Records of the Selective Service System
RG 156 Records of the Office of the Chief of Ordnance
RG 171 Records of the Office of Civilian Defense
RG 179 Records of the War Production Board
RG 181 Records of Naval Districts and Shore Establishments
RG 188 Records of the Office of Price Administration
RG 202 Records of the National War Labor Board (World War II)
RG 219 Records of the Office of Defense Transportation
RG 238 National Archives Collection of World War II War Crimes Records
RG 242 National Archives Collection of Foreign Records Seized
RG 252 Records of the Office of the Housing Expediter
RG 253 Records of the Petroleum Administration for War
RG 270 Records of the War Assets Administration
RG 336 Records of the Office of the Chief of Transportation
Checklist of Records Relating to World War II
- Lindberg Field, San Diego, CA: General and special orders, 1924-41.
11th Coast Guard District Long Beach, San Pedro, Wilmington, CA:
vessel log books, 1942-46.
- Port Hueneme, CA: Shipping articles, 1945.
- Port San Luis Obispo, CA: Applications for seaman's continuous discharge book,
1942-44; shipping articles and crew lists, 1942-54; Port San Luis radio sealing reports,
- Port Hueneme, CA: Entrances and clearances of vessels engaged in foreign trade, l945-47; oaths of new or alternate vessel masters, 1944-49.
- Port of Los Angeles, CA: Departure permits granted by the Port Director, Eleventh Naval District, 1942-44; Soviet Lend-Lease requisitions, 1944-45; letters received from the War Shipping Administration and contracted shipbuilders, 1942-45; master carpenter certificates for vessels completed, 1942-46; and other records relating to entrances and clearances from the port, enrollments and oaths of masters and owners, and the registering and sale of vessels.
- Port of San Diego, CA: Entrances and clearances of vessels engaged in coastwise trade,1917-44; entrances and clearances of vessels engaged in foreign trade, 1910-66; preferred mortgages of vessels, 1944-55.
- Port San Luis Obispo, CA: Entrances and clearances of vessels engaged in foreign trade, 1907-40; vessels engaged in foreign trade authorized to enter or clear under permit to proceed, 1940-49; vessel accident and casualty reports, 1933-47; file on the destruction of S.S. Montebello, 1941-46.
- Port of Long Beach, CA: Original merchant vessel inspection files, 1914-42; initial merchant vessel inspection drawings or blueprint files, 1914- 42.
- Port of Los Angeles, CA: Official merchant vessel log books, 1916-42; indexes of registers, enrollments, and licenses, 1896-1945; masters' and owners' oaths on registry of vessels, 1877-1942; vessel registry indexes, 1918-45; registry certificates, 1884-l941; indexes of enrollments and licenses for enrolled vessels, 1911-45; consolidated certificates of enrollment and license, 1911-41; masters' and owners' oaths for license of merchant vessel or yacht under twenty tons, 1897-1941; indexes of licensed vessels and yachts under twenty tons, 1912-45; licenses of vessels under twenty tons, 1905-41; masters' oath for renewal of license of vessel, 1910-42; masters' and owners' oaths for enrollment and license of merchant vessel or yacht, 1905-41; consolidated enrollments and yacht licenses, 1911-41; master carpenter certificates for vessels completed 1885-1942; certificates of inspection for steam and motor vessels, 1939-46; oaths of new or alternate vessel master, 1923-1941; record of endorsement or change of master, 1883-1943; bills of sale of enrolled vessels, 1883-1944; bills of sale of licensed vessels under twenty tons, 1908-44; marshals' bills of sale of vessels, 1938-41; mortgages of registered or enrolled vessels, 1887-1944; mortgages of registered vessels, 1926-45; mortgages of licensed vessels under twenty tons, 1912-46.
- Port of San Diego, CA: Mortgages of registered vessels, 1919-41; mortgages of registered or enrolled vessels, 1919-44; mortgages of enrolled vessels and licensed vessels under twenty tons, 1923-49.
- Port San Luis Obispo, CA: Applications for seaman's continuous discharge book, 1937-42; shipping articles and crew lists, 1916-42; oaths on registry, 1910-49; registry certificates, 1910-49; master's oaths for license of enrolled vessels, 1910-47; consolidated certificates of enrollment and license, 1916-1949; master's oaths for vessel license renewals, 1931-53; oaths of new or alternate vessel masters, 1933-42.
- Regional Grazier, Region 9, Arizona: Civilian Conservation Corps camp records, 1935-52; records relating to the Defense Highway Act of l941, 1942-45; memorandums relating to legislation, 1941-45; cooperative agreements and memorandums of understanding relating to access to essential war materials such as coal, copper, and lead, 1938-46; land status change orders for opening of public lands, 1942-58; land status changes for military withdrawals of land, 1939-54; and survey plats, 1941-52.
- Construction Battalion Training Center, Camp Pendleton, CA: Central subject files, 1942-44.
- Aviation Division, Naval Air Station, San Diego, CA: Order, memorandums, and correspondence, 1925-42.
- Indian Irrigation Service, AZ: Irrigation District 4, Colorado River Irrigation Project: Files of R. H. Rupkey, project engineer, including Japanese settlements, Japanese personnel, War Relocation Authority budget, and Information Digest; Files of J. W. Shepard, fiscal officer of the Colorado River War Relocation Project, 1942-48, including authorizations, and Poston and Gila River internment camp lists of internees for camps 1, 2, and 3.
- Phoenix Area Office, AZ: Correspondence relating to Japanese resettlement camps, 1942-44.
- Los Angeles District, CA: Military project construction and operations drawings, 1936-48; realty historical files Van Nuys Army Air Field, Victorville Army Air Field, Yermo Holding and Reconsignment Point), 1942-50; real property and mining branch project files, 1944-57.
- Engineer Depot, Los Angeles, CA: General and special orders, 1941-54.
- Engineer Depot, San Bernardino, CA: General and special order, 1941-54.
- Arizona State Representative: Correspondence, memorandums of agreement, project proposals, minutes of meetings, and reports on demonstration and land use adjustment projects, 1937-42.
- Los Angeles District Office: Enemy alien case files, 1941-47. Access to some records may be denied due to privacy concerns.
- Mira Loma Quartermaster Depot: Orders, reports, memorandums, and correspondence, 1942-54.
- San Bernardino Repair Subdepot: Historical study, 1945.
- Yermo Storage Subdepot: General orders, 1945.
- Arizona Cochise, Mohave, and Pima Counties: Rural Rehabilitation Loan case files, 1934-44.
- California Orange County only: Rural Rehabilitation Loan case files, 1934-44.
- Los Angeles Signal Depot: Memorandums, charts, and activity reports, 1943-46.
- Arizona: Stafford and consolidated camp records, 1937-41.
- Pima County Arizona District Two Draft Board Minute books, 1940-45.
- Navajo Ordnance Depot, Flagstaff, AZ: Orders, planning files, operating procedures, and historical files, 1943-51.
- Los Angeles Ordnance Depot, Los Angeles, CA: Correspondence, memorandums, orders, and reports, 1943.
- Los Angeles Office: Surveys, correspondence, reports, drawings, and blueprints, 1942-43.
- M185, Press Releases of the Advisory Commission to the Council of the National Defense, 1940-1941. 1 roll.
- M186, Progress Reports of the Advisory Commission to the Council of National Defense, 1940-1941. 1 roll.
- M187, Numbered Document File of the Advisory Commission to the Council of National Defense, 1940-1941. 2 rolls.
- M195, Numbered Document Files of the Council of the Office of Production Management, 1940-1942. 1 roll.
- M196, Numbered Document Files of the Supply Priorities and Allocations Board, 1941-1942. 1 roll.
- 11th Naval District, San Diego, CA: Commandant's Office central subject files, 1923-1959 and formerly classified correspondence, 1921-47; Assistant Chief of Staff Naval Reserves and Training correspondence relating to merchant marine naval reserve personnel, 1924-46, and correspondence relating to the recruitment of naval reserve officer personnel, 1925-43; Assistant Chief of Staff Operations central subject files, 1934-50; Assistant Chief of Staff Personnel central subject files, 1938-54; Communications Office central subject files, 1916-47; Convoy and Routing Office subject files, 1941-46; District Director of Material central subject files, 1939-46; District Director of Naval Reserves central subject files, 1943-49; Industrial Manager central subject files, 1938-45; Legal Office central subject files, 1943-50; Planning Office central subject files, 1925-52; Public Works Office field surveys, tests, and exploration files, 1927-58.
- Civil Engineering Laboratory, Port Hueneme, CA: Project files, 1943-70.
- Naval Electronics Laboratory, San Diego, CA: Research and development technical reports, 1942-53; engineering notebooks, 1941-71.
- Naval Operating Base, San Pedro/Terminal Island, CA: Commandant's Office central subject files, 1940-47; Assistant Industrial Manager central subject files, 1940-47; Legal Office courts of inquiry files, 1941-47; Mine Disposal Unit subject files, 1941-46; Naval Drydocks manual of operations, 1944.
- Roosevelt Base, Terminal Island: central subject files, 1944-46.
- Pacific Missile Test Center, Point Mugu, CA: Central subject files, 1946-59, and historical photographs, 1945-77.
- Naval Weapons Test Center, China Lake, CA: Central subject files, 1944-58; and project files, 1942-81.
- Phoenix District Office: Rationing Division Slaughterers' case files, 1943-45; Price Division records of the District Price Executive and retail grocery survey worksheets, 1942-46.
- M164, Studies and Reports of the Office of Price Administration, 1941-1946. 2 rolls.
- California: Disputed case files, 1942-46; voluntary war and salary adjustment case files, 1942-46; west coast aircraft commission general records, general correspondence, minutes, grievance petitions, records relating to petitions, and reports 1943-45; southern California aircraft industry war stabilization plan, 1942-43; general correspondence, monthly report, transcripts of hearings, and post review files order of the west coast aircraft panel, 1943-45.
- Liquid Transport Section, Los Angeles, CA: Correspondence and reports of the Director of the Tank Car Division, 1942-46.
- T301, Records of the U.S. Nuernberg War Crimes Trials, NI series, 1933-1948. l64 rolls.
- T988, Prosecution Exhibits Submitted to the International Military Tribunal. 54 rolls.
- T989, War Diaries and Correspondence of General Alfred Jodl. 2 rolls.
- T990, Mauthausen Death Books. 2 rolls.
- T991, U. S. Trial Brief and Document Books. 1 roll.
- T992, Diary of Hans Frank. 12 rolls.
- T70, Records of the Reich Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1936-1944. 125 rolls.
- T71, Records of the Reich Ministry of Economics. 149 rolls.
- T73, Records of the Reich Ministry for Armament and War Production. 193 rolls.
- T74, Records of the Office of the Reich Commissioner for the Strengthening of Germandom. 20 rolls.
- T76, Records of the Todt Organization. 7 rolls.
- T82, Records of Nazi Cultural and Research Institutions. 550 rolls
- Office of Rent Stabilization, Los Angeles, CA: Minutes, reports, applications for rent decontrol, and correspondence, 1942-50.
- District V, Petroleum Industry Committee, Los Angeles, CA: General committee records including PAW recommendations, directives, and orders, 1941-48; records of the various subcommittees, 1941-46; records of the production committee, 1941-46; records of the refining committee, 1941-46; records of the supply and transportation committee including the Navy contact subcommittee, 1941-47; records of the distribution and marketing committee, l941-45; and records of the natural gas and natural gasoline committee, 1942-46.
- Arizona, southern California, Nevada: Real property disposal case files, 1946-49.
- Los Angeles Port of Embarkation: Correspondence and photographs, 1942-46.
- Yermo Holding/Reconsignment Point, Yermo, CA: Correspondence, 1943-46.