Communications and Marketing Internships
DC Metro Area Internship Opportunities
National Archives Communications Office Internship
Join a dynamic team and learn many of the basic skills it takes to become a government communications professional, from a front-row seat! You will receive support and mentorship from seasoned public affairs staff, and have the opportunity to network with other staff at all levels.
The National Archives Public and Media Communications team promotes National Archives programs, special events, and unmatched historical records. Interns are involved in all core activities of the press team.
- Write press releases, statements, and talking points for wide distribution
- Field and direct media calls to NARA experts
- “Pitch” stories to reporters about Archives programs, special events, and records
- Create content for the National Archives social media sites and blogs
- Help plan and staff press and public events
- Shadow expert interviews on TV and radio
Communications interns must:
- Have passion, ambition, and a desire to put their communications skills into practice
- Communicate clearly and effectively, through both writing and speaking, with the media and the public
- Love American history and thrive in a fast-paced, exciting environment.
How to apply
Students interested in a Communications internship must submit the following:
- cover letter explaining your interest in the internship
- one letter of recommendation
- college transcript (official or unofficial)
- short writing sample
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: April 1
- Fall: July 1
All internship applicants must be U.S. Citizens. Applicants must also be currently enrolled and in good standing in an accredited college or university. Preference is given to students with coursework in communications, history, politics, journalism, writing or related fields that require strong research and writing skills.
Internships are unpaid, and housing is not provided. A security clearance is required. In order to obtain a security clearance, all selected candidates must pass a background check. All applicants must email the required documentation no later than the posted deadline for each semester period to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “Internship.”