College Park, MD Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteering in College Park, MD
There are two types of volunteer positions available at the National Archives in College Park, MD:
Staff Aides work behind the scenes under the supervision of archivists. They assist with a wide variety of tasks, including holdings maintenance: document boxing and labeling; researching photographs, posters, moving images, and textual records; writing descriptions; computer database work; indexing; digitizing; preparing descriptive lists; and other s pecialized tasks.
- All volunteer positions are available only during the normal work week, usually between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Volunteers work with historically valuable records of the Federal Government.
- Some staff aides work in groups, while others work on individual projects.
- Volunteers generally work seated at tables or computer stations.
Docents give two types of tours:
- Behind-the-scenes tours of the research facility and building to visitors. These are offered between 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. on weekdays.
- Tours of the building specifically designed for new hires are given bimonthly on Mondays.
Volunteer Program Coordinator
The National Archives at College Park
8610 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001
Phone: (301) 837-3002
Fax: (301) 837-3603