Washington, DC Area Volunteer Opportunities at the National Archives and Records Administration
- Complete a volunteer application
- Participate in an interview with the volunteer program coordinator
- Attend a 4-day (16-hour) orientation course
- Complete an online personal and professional history form for a background check
- Provide two forms of ID in order to obtain a NARA badge and access card
Fill out the Washington, DC Volunteer Application and e-mail, fax, or mail it to the Volunteer Program staff.
If you require an accessible version of the Volunteer Application form, please contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator at (202) 357-5272.
Volunteer Program Coordinator
The National Archives and Records Administration
Washington, DC 20408
Phone: (202) 357-5272
Fax: (202) 357-5925
How to Download and Complete the Volunteer Application Form
- Save the Form to Your Computer:
Do one of the following in the Apply section:
- Use your mouse to right click the form link then select "Save Target/Link As..." from the menu that appears.
- Open the form and save the form to your computer by selecting File / Save As.
Note the filename and where you saved the file.
- Open the File on Your Computer:
Locate the file on your computer and open the file using Adobe Reader.
- Fill Out the Form:
Enter the appropriate data in each box or field. To move from one field to the next, press the Tab key. You can also use your cursor to move from field to field. Place your cursor in the field you want to fill in, then left-click. Some fields limit the maximum number of characters you can enter and may automatically advance to the next field. Save the Filled Out Form.
- Submit the Form:
Use the Contact Information to either:
- Attach the file to an e-mail
- Print the form and fax it
- Mail the form
If you have questions, please contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator.