Information Security Oversight Office (ISOO)
To ensure a more timely response to your inquiry, please contact us via email at [firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org]. ISOO will use its blog, ISOO Overview to communicate with stakeholders on all ISOO matters. Please join for weekly posts.
ISOO is responsible to the President for policy and oversight of the Government-wide security classification system and the National Industrial Security Program. ISOO receives policy and program guidance from the National Security Council (NSC).
ISOO has three components:
- The Classification Management Staff:
Develops security classification policies for classifying, declassifying and safeguarding national security information generated in Government and industry.
- The Operations Staff:
Evaluates the effectiveness of the security classification programs established by Government and industry to protect information vital to our national security interests.
- The Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) Staff:
Develops standardized CUI policies and procedures that appropriately protect sensitive information through effective data access and control measures.
ISOO receives authority from:
- Executive Order 12829, as amended, "National Industrial Security Program", further amended by section 6 of E.O. 13691
- Executive Order 13526"Classified National Security Information" was released by the White House on December 29, 2009
- Executive Order 13549"Classified National Security Information Program for State, Local, Tribal, and Private Sector Entities."
- Executive Order 13556"Controlled Unclassified Information"
- Executive Order 13587"Structural Reforms To Improve the Security of Classified Networks and the Responsible Sharing and Safeguarding of Classified Information."