Football in the National Archives
Whether under the Friday night lights or on any given Sunday, throughout the fall sports fans are glued to the gridiron all weekend long. Football-related records from patents to practice dummies to parade floats can be found in the National Archives Catalog.
You can learn about the impact of sports in the exhibit All American: The Power of Sports, which runs in the Lawrence F. O’Brien Gallery in Washington, DC, from September 16, 2022, through January 7, 2024.
Read more about the football-related holdings at the National Archives:
- The Text Message: “How about a little football game?” The Albuquerque Indian School’s Dominating Football Run, 1926-1931 (2022)
- The Text Message: Football Related Records in the National Register of Historic Places (2022)
- National Archives News: National Archives Unveils Photos of Buffalo Soldiers at West Point (2021)
- National Archives News: New Photos: Buffalo Soldiers at West Point (2021)
- Hoover Heads: College Football, and Mythicism, 1890s, 1950, 2020 (2020)
- Hoover Heads: Seasons Change, but Football Remains (2019)
- The Unwritten Record: Off the Board: Photographs of Past NFL Draftees (2018)
- Hoover Heads: President Hoover and Football (2017)
- The Unwritten Record: Football Photographs at the National Archives (2017)
- Pieces of History: 10 Football Facts Featuring U.S. Presidents (2014)
- Pieces of History: Gridiron in the National Archives (2011)