Guidance Audio and Video
[get-content name="preservation-formats-audio-identify-formats" include-tag="false" /]
- Film Forever Sponsored by the Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA), a home movie preservation guide with lots of really good information. Available in PDF for free download.
- National Film Preservation Foundation NFPF offers a very helpful guide for film preservation geared toward libraries and museums. Available in PDF for free download.
- National Film and Sound Archive (Australia) Film Preservation Handbook An in-depth guide to everything pertaining to film care and preservation. Be sure to check out the detailed glossary (online only).
- International Federation of Film Archives (FIAF)
- Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA)
- Image Permanence Institute (IPI)
- Center for Home Movies is a group that promotes awareness of the importance and preservation of home movie collections
Digital Preservation of Motion Picture Film
- The Science and Technology Council of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has released a number of publications including the Digital Dilemma reports and a case study of long-term storage and management of data.
Other sites and videos of interest
- Out of the Dark: Bringing Films to Light at the National Archives A video made by the motion picture archival unit and the preservation lab in order to show how NARA processes films from when they come in the door to when they hit the research room.
- Timeline of Historical Color Systems A website that provides a brief history and lots of pictures of various film gauges.
- Film gauges An amazing recent effort to bring together all of the knowledge of color systems for film put together by film studies professor Barbara Flueckiger.
- Worlds First Moving Colour Pictures A fascinating five minute video about the discovery, preservation, and digital restoration of the 1901 Lee and Turner Films.