AC 16. 2021
February 1, 2021
MEMORANDUM TO FEDERAL AGENCY CONTACTS: NARA’s Federal Electronic Records Modernization Initiative (FERMI)
Since 2015, NARA’s Office of the Chief Records Officer has been working to help agencies obtain electronic records management services and solutions meeting NARA requirements. NARA created the Federal Electronic Records Modernization Initiative (FERMI) to assist agencies with this process. FERMI has two goals:
- Help agencies obtain Electronic Records Management (ERM) solutions and services that fit their needs through an improved procurement process; and
- Proactively address changing trends in ERM by setting policy for new solutions and services.
To meet these goals, NARA partnered with GSA’s Office of Shared Solutions and Performance Improvement (OSSPI) and the GSA Multiple Award Schedule Program beginning in May 2016. Based on their recommendations, NARA created the Universal Electronic Records Management Requirements and began the Electronic Records Management Federal Integrated Business Framework (ERM-FIBF) based on the GSA standard.
In April 2018, NARA became the Functional Area Lead for ERM on the Business Standards Council (BSC). This critical partnership has greatly increased the potential for ensuring electronic records management requirements are incorporated throughout all mission support shared service functions, including human resources and financial management. Agencies are then better equipped to acquire ERM solutions and shared services that comply with the policies and mandates set forth by NARA and the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). These resources help agencies gain greater consistency, reliability, and efficiency in managing all electronic records.
To date, FERMI accomplishments include:
- Release of Universal Electronic Records Management Requirements, Versions 1 and 2
- Becoming the Functional Area Lead for ERM on the Business Standards Council
- Development of the ERM Federal Integrated Business Framework (FIBF) components. The Federal Business Lifecycle and Business Capabilities were approved by the BSC and OMB and are now posted on the Business Standards website. The Universal Use Cases are under OMB review. The Standard Data Elements are out for comment on Records Express.
- A new Special Item Number (SIN) for Electronic Records Management Solutions (518210ERM) and an updated SIN for Physical Records (493110RM) under GSA’s Multiple Award Schedules Consolidated Schedule. The ERM SIN incorporates the Universal ERM Requirements. Vendors must self-certify they meet the requirements when they submit a proposal.
- Hosted three Collaboration/Industry Days with GSA on August 6, 2020, August 6, 2018, and November 2, 2017
- Two new Product Service Codes (PSC) to enable government-wide tracking of records management spending: R616: Physical RM Solutions and R617: ERM Solutions.
- Creating an ERM market research tool at discovery.gsa.gov.
- Working with agencies to develop and review statements of work and request for proposals posted under the ERM SIN 518210ERM.
- Ensuring ERM requirements are included in the other Functional Areas shared services, such as the GSA NewPay initiative for a payroll shared service.
Visit NARA’s FERMI website for more information and follow Records Express for updates and progress. If you have any questions about FERMI, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chief Records Officer
for the U.S. Government