Guide to Archival Holdings (RG 310-Donated Materials)
- Alphabetical List of Record Groups
- Numerical List of Record Groups
- Record Groups 15 through 49
- Record Groups 54 through 96
- Record Groups 111 through 188
- Record Groups 202 through 270
- Record Groups 310 through Donated Materials
Records of the Agricultural Research Service (RG 310)
The Agricultural Research Administration was established in the Department of Agriculture by an Executive order of February 23, 1942, to coordinate the activities of several scientific bureaus. It was consolidated with these bureaus on November 2, 1953, to form the Agricultural Research Service, which plans, administers, and conducts research and related regulatory programs.
Volume: 24 cubic feet
Records of the Plant Pest Control Branch, Plant Quarantine Inspector C. H. Rothe. The records document peach mosaic disease control, Khapra beetle infection, and related programs, and include correspondence, permits, and reports.
Records of the Atomic Energy Commission (RG 326)
The Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) was established in 1946 to control the development and use of atomic energy, including the encouragement of private participation in research and practical uses of atomic energy. The AEC had responsibility to regulate the use of nuclear materials in order to protect the health and safety of the public. It was concerned with fissionable material supply, development of reactors, development and testing of nuclear weapons, basic and applied research, dissemination of information relating to atomic energy, and development and administration of international cooperation for peaceful uses of atomic energy. The AEC was discontinued on October 11, 1974, and was replaced by two new agencies: the Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA, see RG 430) and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC, see RG 431). The functions of ERDA were later incorporated into the Department of Energy when that Department was created in 1977 (see also RG 434).
Volume: 589 cubic feet
Records of the Nevada Operations Office, Las Vegas, 1962-1969. The records document the activities of the office. Included are contract files and directives.
Records of Holmes and Narver, Inc., 1942-1971. The records relate to construction of buildings and other facilities at Nevada and Pacific coast sites. There are construction records, correspondence, daily test results and charts, field notebooks, and planning files. Nontextual records include drawings, maps, and photographs.
Access to some files or portions of documents may be restricted because of national security classification.
Records of the Office of the Chief of Transportation (RG 336)
The Office of the Chief of Transportation was
established in the Services of Supply (SOS), War Department on March 2,
1942, to head the Transportation Division. It was abolished by General
Order 39 of December 1, 1964.
Within the United States, the Office administered a variety of field installations and functions, including ports of embarkation, port agencies, transportation depots, offices, and zones.
Volume: 12 cubic feet
- Camp Anza Staging Area;
- Holding and Reconsignment Points, Yermo;
- Rialto Ammunition Back-up Storage Area.
The records include correspondence, general orders, operational diaries, and technical reports. Nontextual records include drawings and photographs.
Records of U.S. Army Commands, 1942- (RG 338)
The present system of U.S. Army commands, which are organized both functionally and geographically, emerged from a War Department reorganization of February 28, 1942. The system has a complex administrative structure including massive domestic and overseas operations.
Volume: 12 cubic foot
- Advisory Group, Arizona;
- Military hospital, Fort Huachuca, Arizona;
- Military hospital, Fort Irwin, California;
- Military hospital, Fort MacArthur, California;
- Southwest Procurement Agency, Pasadena, California;
- Hughes Plant Activity, Culver City, California.
Records of military hospitals at Fort Huachuca, Arizona, and Fort Irwin and Fort MacArthur, California, 1949-1973. The records document administration, policies, and procedures. They include annual and other reports, daily journals, medical diaries, memorandums, orders, organization and planning files, and regulations.
Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations (RG 342)
The U.S. Air Force (USAF) was established in 1947 as the successor of the U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF), which had developed from a series of military air services dating back to 1907. The record group consists of records of theworld organization of the USAF and its predecessors.
Volume: less than 1 cubic foot
Records of the 6594th Aerospace Test Wing headquarters. The records concern administration, law enforcement, operations, security, training, transportation, and related matters. Included are directives and orders.
Records of the U.S. Army Coast Artillery Districts and Defenses, 1901-1942 (RG 392)
In 1901, the Artillery Corps was divided into field artillery batteries and coast artillery companies under newly created artillery districts. Each district consisted of harbor defense forts, with accompanying minefields and land defenses. In 1913, the coast artillery districts were redesignated coast defense commands.
Volume: 18 cubic feet
Records of the Coast Defense Commands at Fort MacArthur, Los Angeles, and at Fort Rosecrans, San Diego. The records document defense and protection of these coastal areas including tactical maneuvers at Muroc, California, in 1937. They include correspondence, general and special orders, and a subject index (Fort Rosecrans only).
Sarah D. Powell, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Textual Records of the United States Army Coast Artillery Districts and Defenses, 1901-1942, NM 88 (1967).
Records of the Energy Research and Development Administration (RG 430)
The Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA) was created in 1974, when it assumed many of the functions of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC, see RG 326).
Volume: 5 cubic feet
Records of EG&G, Inc., and Holmes and Narver, Inc., Las Vegas, Nevada. The records document construction of test facilities in Nevada and the Pacific Ocean by private companies under contract to ERDA. They are project case files, and containment and survey reports. Nontextual records include charts and maps.
Records of the Indian Arts and Crafts Board (RG 435)
The Board was established by an act of August 27, 1935 (49 Stat. 891), to serve Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, and the general public as an informational, promotional, and advisory clearinghouse for all matters pertaining to the development of authentic Indian and Eskimo arts and crafts. It receives administrative support from the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Volume: less than 1 cubic foot
Records of the Arizona field office, Phoenix. The records document efforts to promote Indian arts and crafts and expand marketability of wares such as blankets and pottery produced on the Colorado River, Hopi, Papago, Pima, and Truxton Canyon reservations. They are primarily correspondence.
Records of the United States Marshals Service (RG 527)
The Judiciary Act of September 24, 1789, made
provision for U.S. attorneys and marshals who are appointed by the President
and have functioned under the general supervision of the Department of
Justice since its creation in 1870.
U.S. marshals execute and serve writs, processes, nd orders issued by U.S. courts, U.S. commissioners or magistrates, and commissions. They also notify the Department of Justice of defiance of Federal authority.
Volume: less than 1 cubic foot
Records of U.S. marshals and deputy marshals for the District of Arizona. The records relate primarily to appointments, Indian cases, and oaths, and include correspondence.
Related Microfilm Publications
T577, Index to Names of U.S. Marshals, 1789-1960.
Donated Materials Groups
Records of the Superior Court of the County of Los Angeles
Volume: 66 cubic feet
Records of Superior Court, County of Los Angeles. The records document the naturalization process. Included are declarations of intention; petitions for naturalization; certificates of naturalization; and an index to names of naturalized citizens. Available as microfilm publications M1608 and M1614.
Records of the Superior Court of the
County of San Diego
Volume: 76 cubic feet
Records of Superior Court, County of San Diego. The records document the naturalization process. Included are declarations of intention; indexes to declarations of intention; certificates of citizenship; court orders on repatriation petitions; court orders transferring petitions for naturalization; an index to names of citizens naturalized; military petitions; other petitions; and record books. Available as microfilm publications M1526, M1609, M1612, and M1613.