Finding Aids for the National Archives at San Francisco
The National Archives at San Francisco has a variety of guides, reference information papers, lists, and other finding aids available to help researchers access our records. Most of these are not available online, however. Please contact us to inquire about finding aids for specific Record Groups or research topics.
How to Search our Materials
Our National Archives Catalog contains selected information pertaining to records at the San Francisco facility. Some of the catalog entries provide additional information about the availability of folder lists, finding aids, and indices.
Finding Aids and Guides
- Guide to Archival Holdings at the National Archives at San Francisco, 1996
- Record group level descriptions of archival holdings including agency administrative history; dates and volume; narrative description of source, content, and types of records; list of finding aids and related microfilm; restriction statements. Entries provide details not available in the Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States, 1995.
- Please note: This guide has not been updated to include information about additions to our holdings, transfers to other National Archives facilities, or transfers to offsite storage locations. We recommend that you contact us in advance prior to visiting to review original records.
- Lists of Former Inmates of U.S. Penitentiary, Alcatraz, 1934-63 from Records of the Bureau of Prisons (RG 129)
Reference Information Papers
Reference Information Papers describe National Archives materials on specific topics found in several different record groups. The form and style of these papers vary, and the records are described at the record group, series, or item level. Those linked below are of specific interest to researchers at the National Archives at San Francisco. You can learn more about other Reference Information Papers here.
Please note: These sources have not been updated since their listed publication dates and may not contain the most up to date information. Please contact us with any specific questions.
- Records in the National Archives at San Francisco for the Study of Science, Technology, Natural Resources, and the Environment, 1996
- Chinese Immigration and Chinese in the United States: Records in the Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration, 1996