The Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD) Charter
The Subcommittee on NITRD was created by the Executive Branch to serve as an internal deliberative organization for Networking and IT Research and Development (R&D) Policy, Program, and Budget guidance and direction.
The Subcommittee coordinates the multi-agency NITRD Program, implementing relevant provisions of the High-Performance Computing (HPC) Act of 1991 (Public Law 102-194) as amended by the Next Generation Internet Research Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-305) to help:
- Assure continued U.S. leadership in networking and information technology;
- Satisfy the needs of the Federal government for advanced networking and IT; and
- Accelerate development and deployment of advanced networking and IT.
The scope of activities includes:
- Coordinating the planning, budgeting, implementation, and reviews of R&D in Networking and IT across the member agencies;
- Maintaining appropriate interaction with the Congress, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) academia, and industry on behalf of the NITRD Program; and
- Coordinating agency responses to recommendations by the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology and other appropriate Federal advisory bodies.
Learn more about the NITRD Subcommittee through its Charter (PDF).