Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
New to our Citizen Archivist program? Learn how to register and get started.
Looking for a previous mission? Visit Mission History
***Users need to log in and log out of their Catalog accounts each day so that if so if our developers make any code changes to the Catalog overnight, your account and Citizen Archivist experience will work properly.
Revolutionary War Pension Files Transcription Mission
Closure Files, 1957 - 1983
Transcribe materials loosely related to the closure of Mount Edgecumbe Boarding School at Sitka, Alaska in 1983. There is correspondence related to the closure as well as general correspondence having to do with physical property needs, personnel management, recreation supplies and other administrative matters.
Ethicon, Inc. et al. v. United States Surgical Corporation, 7/12/1989 - 8/17/2000
Transcribe this civil action filed by Dr. InBae Yoon and his exclusive licensee, Ethicon, Inc., a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, against United States Surgical Corporation for infringement of U.S. Patent No. 4,535,773, granted for a safety puncturing surgical instrument and method.
World War II Oral Histories, Interviews and Statements, ca. 4/1942 - ca. 12/1946
Help us transcribe transcripts of recorded interviews, lectures and speeches of U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and some Army Air Force personnel, mostly officers, who participated in significant actions of the Second World War. A small number of British, Australian and New Zealander officers and a few civilians are also included.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Help us transcribe and tag records related to the Chinese Exclusion Era. We need your help transcribing these immigration records and tagging very specific details that will help provide greater access to these records. Please read the instructions on the mission page carefully and begin contributing.
JFK Assassination Records Collection
Most of the records from the JFK Assassination Records Collection are open for research, and a portion of them are now available for online access in the National Archives Catalog.
Several missions have been created featuring records from this collection. Visit the mission page to get started transcribing.Join the mission
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
1950 Census Transcription Projects
The 1950 Census is here! We're looking for help transcribing the initial name index for the 1950 Census. While you can transcribe any name or any page within the 1950 Census, we've identified several specific areas where we'd like your help transcribing.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- White House Luncheon and Dinner Menu Transcribe this record.
- Files of Charles H. Jennings, [Memos, Reports, Pamphlets, and Books] Transcribe this record.
- Report, Federal Civil Works Administration Rules and Regulations, Number 1 Transcribe this record.
- [Folder 150] Guam - General Coding Instructions Transcribe this record.
- Mississippi Summer Project Voter Registration Transcribe this record.
- Correspondence Relating to Reindeer Herds in Alaska, 1911–1960; 156.8 Wales [1941-42] Transcribe this record.
- Copy of a Note Sent to Each of the Representatives of European Countries in Washington from Secretary of State W. J. Bryan Regarding Strict Observation of Immigration Laws Transcribe this record.
- Ensenada, Mexico Transcribe this record.
- Transmittal of Information Transcribe this record.
- [Folder 226] Hawaii - Form 17P-346, General Coding Instructions Transcribe this record.
- Near East and South Asia: Editorial Comments on U.S. Racial Incidents in Alabama Transcribe this record.
- Records of Allied Operational and Occupation Headquarters, World War II, Lists of American Escapees and Evaders Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Athens, Greece, 1837-1906, Despatches: July 1, 1890 - November 28, 1898 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the National Park Service, 1785 - 2006, Central Subject Files, 1919 - 1981, C34 Santa Fe Railway Transcribe this record.
- M179 - Miscellaneous Letters of the Department of State, 1789-1906, January 3, 1806 - December 31, 1807 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to the Italian States, 1832-1906, Italy: Apr. 15-Dec, 27, 1899 Transcribe this record.
- Memorandum on United States Policy Toward Cuba Transcribe this record.
- Wood, Mrs. Mildred M. (I.F.) nee Mildred Marian McGill Transcribe this record.
- Records of District Courts of the United States, Series: Law, Equity, and Criminal Case Files, Ruel Daggs v. Elihu Frazier, et. al. Transcribe this record.
- General Records of the Department of State, 1763 - 2002, Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Liverpool, England, 1790-1906, Despatches: July 1 - December 23, 1863 Transcribe this record.
- 1910-1920: Incoming Miscellaneous Executive Bureaus: Fuel Administration, 03/09/1918 To Railroad Administration, 11/15/1919 Transcribe this record.
- General Index to Appointments, 7/1932 - 6/1935, General Index Book 1 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Athens, Greece, 1837-1906, Despatches: January 16, 1898 - June 30, 1904 Transcribe this record.
- Personnel Action Request - Change of Status, from Temporary to Indefinite [Julia Child] Transcribe this record.
- Toy Cabin Construction Patent- John Lloyd Wright Transcribe this record.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com