Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
Confidential War Diaries, 6/1917 - 2/1918
Transcribe monthly compiled diaries that record significant daily events throughout the First Naval District; many of these take the form of daily news notes or commentaries. Subjects include assignment and transfer of personnel, vessel movements, facilities and equipment, health and morale, important visitors, schools and training, and special issuances or reports received.
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Tag a Veteran
The focus of this mission is on identifying and tagging names found within the records, rather than a transcription. Please find the names of veterans and place them in the tag field of each individual page. This kind of tagging makes it easier for veterans and their family members to find their names in the Catalog.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email email@example.com
Tag it! Facebook Chatbot
We're exploring new ways to interact with Citizen Archivists. Visit the National Archives Facebook page, and give our chatbot a try! To start chatting with the bot, tap on the Send Message button, and type “hi” in the text box. When you choose tag a document, the bot will serve you a single page from the Catalog, and you can identify the document as typed, handwritten, or both. This helps us sort the documents by difficulty, which can then help citizen archivists transcribe the records in the Catalog.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Memorandum to the Superintendent of Castillo de San Marcos National Monument from the Chief of the Branch of Museums Regarding the Exhibit of Spanish Weapons, 4/1/1960 Transcribe this record.
- Telegram from 36 American Writers to President Roosevelt, 11/16/1938 Transcribe this record.
- White House Luncheon and Dinner Menu, 3/24/1952 Transcribe this record.
- Foreign Service Despatch from the American Embassy in Ottawa to the Department of State in Washington Regarding Canadian Attitudes Towards Foreign Troops on Canadian Soil, 10/27/1952 Transcribe this record.
- The W. F. Cody ('Buffalo Bill') Historical Pictures Co. v. The Colonial Amusement Co. et. al.: Deposition of R. H.Cochrane, 11/4/1922 Transcribe this record.
- Memorandum from Duty Secretary, Quadripartite Commission for the Detention of Major War Criminals to the Chief Secretary, Allied Secretariat, 10/19/1946 Transcribe this record.
- Meeting with Brazilian Ambassador Araujo Castro, 12/24/1974 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America vs. Shigeru Fujii: Transcript of pre-sentence hearing, 6/29/1944 Transcribe this record.
- Instrument of Surrender of Japanese Forces Under the Commander or Control of the Supreme Commander, Japanese Expeditionary Forces, Southern Regions, within the Operational Theatre of the Supreme Allied Commander, South East Asia, 9/12/1945 Transcribe this record.
- NIE 11-15-66, 4 Aug 66, Reliability of the USSR's East European Allies Transcribe this record.
- "[Section 3 - North Vietnam: All Activity] 3 A (3) Gulf of Tonkin, 8/1964," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 77 Transcribe this record.
- Public Law 87-14: An Act Making Supplemental Appropriations for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1961, and for Other Purposes, 3/31/1961 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America vs. Kiyoshi Okamoto, et. al.: Transcript of Hearing before District Court, 8/31/1944 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America, as Guardian of the Indians of the Pueblo of Santa Clara, in the State of New Mexico v. Santiago Abeyta, et al.: Final Decree, 6/25/1931 Transcribe this record.
- Barbara Chow's Files, 2000 - 2001: Children and Families - CNCS Transcribe this record.
- "Operation Pierce Arrow, 8/1964, 2 of 2," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 228 Transcribe this record.
- Wartime Civil Control Administration File Transcribe this record.
- Printed Copy of Documents Entered into Evidence in the Case of People of the State of Illinois v. Illinois Central Railroad Company and City of Chicago, 6/2/1887 Transcribe this record.
- Memorandum from the Fredericksburg National Military Park Superintendent to the NPS Region One Historian Regarding the Lee and Grant in Virginia Tour Leaflet with Maps, 1/29/1960 Transcribe this record.
- Consultation with Congress on Foreign Policy Initiatives Transcribe this record.
- Partial Manuscript of Chapters XXIX or XXX: "History of the Hospital Directory at Louisville", 2/23/1884 Transcribe this record.
- Draft Copy of Chapter XXVIII: History of the Hospital Directory, ca. 1865 Transcribe this record.
- Official File Regarding Alleged Loss of Top Secret Document Concerning the Katyn Massacre Transcribe this record.
- United States v. Albert Bates, et.al. Transcript of Record, 10/13/1934 Transcribe this record.
- Comic book produced for General Electric Company titled "Adventures Inside the Atom.", 1948 Transcribe this record.
- TM 9-803, 1/4-Ton 4 x 4 Truck (Willys-Overland Model MB and Ford Model GPW) [JEEP Manual]. Transcribe this record.
- Indians Qualified under Section 1 of the Act of May 18, 1928 Transcribe this record.
- 1351: William Christy, Assignee of Daniel Walden v. The City Bank of New Orleans Transcribe this record.
- The United States vs. Henry C. Crawford: Indictment., 5/6/1861 Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Sarah Stage, Widow of Henry Stage, 7th Minnesota Infantry Regiment, Company K (WC-634943) Transcribe this record.