Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
New to our Citizen Archivist program? Learn how to register and get started.
Escape and Evasion Reports
Transcribe reports that typically include typed or handwritten narrative that documents the escape and evasion experience of the escapee or evader. Reports can also include a brief questionnaire concerning the use of escape and evasion (E&E) training and equipment; an interrogation form with unit designation, target information, number of missions flown, date considered missing in action, date returned to U.S. or allied control, country of escape or evasion, and more.
Indian Arts and Crafts Board Correspondence, 1935 - 1983
Transcribe correspondence between the Alaska Field Office of the Indian Arts and Crafts Board and its headquarters in Washington, DC; other government agencies; and individuals in Anchorage, Juneau, Nome, and Sitka. The correspondence documents the process of encouraging the production of Native arts and crafts in Alaska.
Franklin D. Roosevelt Library Public Domain Photographs
Help us tag features and details of black and white photographs of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, the Great Depression, World War II, and other subjects that are in the public domain. Need help? See our tutorial What Makes a Good Tag - https://www.archives.gov/citizen-archivist/what-makes-a-good-tag
Franklin D. Roosevelt's Message Files
Transcribe messages sent or received by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and by his immediate family and advisors. These messages record the actions taken personally by President Roosevelt and his staff on the major diplomatic and military questions of World War II.
Records of the 1976 Campaign Committee to Elect Jimmy Carter
Help us transcribe records that document all aspects of Jimmy Carter's 1976 presidential campaign. This includes the formation of political strategy; polling data; administrative type of work such as personnel and budget matters; development of recommended positions and proposals on issues; scheduling all activities pertaining to Governor Carter's travel; field staff operations in other regions; and support staff material for both the Carter family and Walter Mondale.
West Point Military Academy, ca. 1912 - ca. 1934
Help us tag features and details found in photographs from West Point Military Academy to make them more searchable. You can add tags that point out location, rank, activities, equipment, vehicles, clothing, uniforms, animals, and more. Need help? See our tutorial What Makes a Good Tag - https://www.archives.gov/citizen-archivist/what-makes-a-good-tag
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Help us transcribe and tag records related to the Chinese Exclusion Era. We need your help transcribing these immigration records and tagging very specific details that will help provide greater access to these records. Please read the instructions on the mission page carefully and begin contributing.
Native American Photographs Tagging Mission
MISSION COMPLETED! Thanks to the contributions of Citizen Archivists, more than 18,000 photographs from the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) have been tagged with topical subject tags. These contributions helped to create the Bureau of Indian Affairs Photographs Finding Aid where the records can be viewed by Tribal Nation, Topic, or State.Explore the Bureau of Indian Affairs Photographs Finding Aid
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email email@example.com
1950 Census Transcription Projects
The 1950 Census is here! We're looking for help transcribing the initial name index for the 1950 Census. While you can transcribe any name or any page within the 1950 Census, we've identified several specific areas where we'd like your help transcribing.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Cable Number 291, Headquarters, A.E.F., France, 18 October 1917 Transcribe this record.
- View of pineapple fields from Inter-American Highway, 17 miles west of San Jose Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Department of State Relating to Internal Affairs of the Ukraine: 860E.00/108 THRU 860E.652/1: 1930-1939 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Narrative Reports, Kentucky Woodlands NWR, 1944 Transcribe this record.
- Central National Bank Savings and Trust Company, as Trustee; The Thompson Transit Corporation; H. C. Hutchinson, Receiver vs Automobile Insurance Company of Hartford, Connecticut, Narrative Transcribe this record.
- Cable Number 790, [Blank], 17 February 1918 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Correspondence Relating to Reindeer Herds in Alaska, Sedanka (Unalaska) [1936-37] Transcribe this record.
- Records of the National Park Service, Central Subject Files, D3415 Buildings - Construction and Maintenance Transcribe this record.
- Lady Bird Johnson's Daily Diary Entry, 4/22/1965 Transcribe this record.
- Meeting with Counsel for the Vice President filed in the U.S. Attorneys' Records on Spiro T. Agnew Transcribe this record.
- United States of America vs. James W. Lewis, also known as Robert Richardson, Filings, Orders, and Opinions Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793 - 1999, Agricultural, Hunting, and Fishing Statistics, 1935 - 1972, 917 Agricultural Statistics & Production Birch Creek [1963-66] Transcribe this record.
- Official Military Personnel File for Ernest L. Wrentmore Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to Japan, 1855-1906, Aug. 3, 1880 - Jan. 22, 1881 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Athens, Greece, 1837-1906, Despatches: July 1, 1890 - November 28, 1898 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Osaka and Hiogo (Kobe), Japan, 1868-1906, Despatches: Volumes 11 - 12: May 6, 1901 - May 20, 1905; September 27, 1905 / Despatches: Liege: Volume 6 (part): June 6, 1905 - July 26, 1906 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the National Park Service, 1785 - 2006, Central Subject Files, 1919 - 1981, C34 Santa Fe Railway Transcribe this record.
- M179 - Miscellaneous Letters of the Department of State, 1789-1906, January 3, 1806 - December 31, 1807 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to the Italian States, 1832-1906, Italy: Apr. 15-Dec, 27, 1899 Transcribe this record.
- General Records of the Department of State, 1763 - 2002, Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Liverpool, England, 1790-1906, Despatches: July 1 - December 23, 1863 Transcribe this record.
- Series: Letters Received from Commissioned Officers Below the Rank of Commander and from Warrant Officers, Letter(s) received from Ogden, W H Transcribe this record.
- 1910-1920: Incoming Miscellaneous Executive Bureaus: Fuel Administration, 03/09/1918 To Railroad Administration, 11/15/1919 Transcribe this record.
- Bankruptcy Act of 1898 Dockets, 1898 - 1979, Reading Company, 1971 Transcribe this record.
- Logbooks of Ships and Shore Installations, 1948-1972, USCGC Eastwind (WAG-279/WAGB-279), January 1956 - December 1956 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793 - 1999, District Files: Northern: 1908 - 1911 Transcribe this record.
- Criminal Case Files, 1790 - 1912, The United States vs. John Carlo Transcribe this record.
- General Index to Appointments, 7/1932 - 6/1935, General Index Book 1 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Athens, Greece, 1837-1906, Despatches: January 16, 1898 - June 30, 1904 Transcribe this record.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What are other Citizen Archivists talking about on History Hub?
- New challenge just today...can't open some pages.
- Can someo e give me more ideas about dealing with the lagging cursor?
- The cursor is still interfering with the work. Are people just going with the flow for now? Can you share more workarounds as you find them?
- Those cursers are cursed...
- The curser lagging & saving...