Citizen Archivist Missions
We've curated these missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those records in our Catalog where you can begin transcribing or tagging. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
New to our Citizen Archivist program? Learn how to get started.
Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920
Transcribe unit histories, station lists, operations reports, messages, field orders, correspondence, general orders, special orders, bulletins, and memorandums that document the service of each American Expeditionary Forces combat division during its participation in World War I.
Records Relating to Property Releases, 1949 - 1951
Transcribe cards that include information such as artwork classification, measurements, identifying marks, history and ownership, condition and repair, and arrival and exit date at the collection point. In some cases, a photograph of the artwork is attached to the corresponding card.
World War I Missions
As we commemorate the U.S. entry into the Great War, we ask for your help tagging and transcribing a rotating offering of records. All of these contributions help make the records of the National Archives more discoverable. Visit the National Archives' World War I Centennial page to learn more about the war.
Enemy Alien Registration Affidavits
Following the onset of hostilities during World War I, non-naturalized "Enemy Aliens" by definition, were required to register with United States authorities as a national security measure. Under the provisions of a Presidential Proclamation of April 6, 1917, non-naturalized female aliens were likewise registered as an additional national security measure that included those women of American birth that were married to enemy aliens. Help us transcribe these affidavits.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, you are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Letter from Senator John F. Kennedy to Colonel Alden K. Sibley Regarding Dredging the Mystic River, 7/3/1957 Transcribe this record.
- Wigand, Charles E. Transcribe this record.
- Memo from Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt to the Portsmouth Navy Yard Industrial Manager Regarding Electrical Fittings, 1/21/1916 Transcribe this record.
- Point Hope, Alaska Transcribe this record.
- Nicolas Schambourg Transcribe this record.
- Kipnuk thru Kwigillingok Transcribe this record.
- CCC - Safety, R-10 Transcribe this record.
- United States Patent 4,645,466: Surfboard User's Foot Piece and New Combinations Therewith, 2/24/1987 Transcribe this record.
- Printed Copy of Documents Entered into Evidence in the Case of People of the State of Illinois v. Illinois Central Railroad Company and City of Chicago, 6/2/1887 Transcribe this record.
- United States Department of Agriculture Bureau of Chemistry Inspection of Food and Drug Factories General Field Report Form in Written Shorthand, 5/28/1914 Transcribe this record.
- Ralston Purina Company v. Home Insurance Company and Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company, Transcript of Trial, Volume 4, 11/10/1983 Transcribe this record.
- Brief History of the Kischineff Petition together with Classification, Analysis, and List of Signatures by the Independent Order B'nai B'rith, 1903 Transcribe this record.
- Whittemore, Amos v. Cutter, William F. Transcribe this record.
- USCG Point Glover, 02/01/1967 - 02/28/1967 Transcribe this record.
- Greek Orthodox Enthronement 9/18/99: Civil Society/Democracy Building Transcribe this record.
- Sales - Hides & Meat 1939-40 Transcribe this record.
- Energy Calendar Transcribe this record.
- Education Standards Transcribe this record.
- Directory of Field Activities of BBS, and List of Permanent Projects, 1938-39 Transcribe this record.
- S1 3001 Sa Technical College Of Prague Transcribe this record.
- 206-01 Combat Artist Team I 1966 Transcribe this record.