Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
World War I: Capture the Captions
This series of World War I photographs documents American activity on the home front and on the battlefield during the war years. Help "capture the captions" by transcribing the text found on each photograph card. For extra credit, tag features and details found within each photograph.
Scanned by Citizens
Citizen Scanners in the National Archives Innovation Hub have scanned 500,000 pages of historical records! As these records are added to the Catalog, we need your help to transcribe them to make them more searchable. This mission features records scanned by citizen contributors in our Innovation Hub, including pension records, bounty land files, logbooks and more.
Franklin D. Roosevelt Master Speech Files
Transcribe public statements, speeches and addresses delivered by Franklin D. Roosevelt during his lifetime. The speeches range from a 1898 school debate on the annexation of Hawaii while Roosevelt was a student at Groton School to the draft of the April 13, 1945 Jackson Day address that Roosevelt never delivered because of his death the day before.
Forest Service Historical Files, 1901-1962
Transcribe records relating to all aspects of administrative functions of the Intermountain regional office. Topics include water resources, timber management and sales, fire control, buildings, roads and trails, inspections, supervision, general studies, photographic surveys, cooperative programs, public information and education, equipment and materials, legislation, and ranger activities.
Recommendations for Employment, 1861 - 1867
Transcribe correspondence concerning employment at the Schuylkill Arsenal in Philadelphia. Most of the records are letters of recommendation by various politicians and other notable citizens for individuals seeking jobs at the Arsenal, primarily during the Civil War. The majority of the applicants are women who had relatives in the Union Army.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Record Group Explorer Missions
The National Archives recently launched a new pathway to view and explore our records: the Record Group Explorer. You can use this tool to see an overview of the scans of records currently available in our Catalog, organized by Record Group and format.
To celebrate the launch of the Record Group Explorer, we’ve created special missions for each Record Group. Give the Explorer a try while contributing as a citizen archivist! Jump in and help tag and transcribe:
- Record Group 87: Records from the U.S. Secret Service
- Record Group 351: Records of the Government of the District of Columbia
We’ll feature additional Record Groups for future missions. Each of your contributions to these records will help unlock history and make them easier to find in our Catalog for other users.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Give voice to American soldiers and help transcribe records from the National Archives on the Zooniverse platform:
- The American Soldier: Transcribe this remarkable collection of more than 65,000 handwritten reflections by U.S. soldiers who fought during the Second World War.
- African American Civil War Soldiers: Transcribe military records of over 200,000 African Americans soldiers who fought for their freedom in the American Civil War.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Telegram from Harold Sprout to Dean Acheson, 9/7/1953 Transcribe this record.
- Shopping List for Stag Luncheon with Cabinet Under Secretaries, 2/17/1948 Transcribe this record.
- United States v. Clure Isenhouer, et. al., Bond for Writ of Error, 10/19/1917 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State, 1788 - ca. 1991, The Prisoners Ransomed for Ambassador Holleben, 6/30/1970 Transcribe this record.
- World War I File, 1917-1919: Field Orders and Reports: January, 1919, G-3 Memorandum Number 31 from Colonel H. S. Hawkins, 1/1/1919 Transcribe this record.
- London Despatch No. 2377 from John H. Bruins to the Department of State Transmitting a Copy of "Facts and Documents Concerning Polish Prisoners of War Captured by the U.S.S.R. During the 1939 Campaign", 11/17/1950 Transcribe this record.
- McWilliams, Julia C., Declaration of Appointee - Julia C. McWilliams, 11/18/1942 Transcribe this record.
- Records Relating to Key Persons, 11/30/1963 - 9/24/1964. Carlin, Karen Bennett Transcribe this record.
- Madalyn Murray O'Hair and Richard F. O'Hair v. Thomas O. Paine, Motion seeking Disqualification, 11/24/1969 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950 - 1976, 206-01 Assistance Visits 1966 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Courts of Appeals, Appellate Case Files, 1929 - 1995, Charles E. Moritz v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Brief for Petitioner-Appellant, 4/7/1971 Transcribe this record.
- Petition for Writ of Certiorari - Number 676 - Kameny v. Brucker Transcribe this record.
- Civil War Prize Case Files, 1861 - 1865, United States vs. A. D. Vance Transcribe this record.
- Public Law 87-14: An Act Making Supplemental Appropriations for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1961, and for Other Purposes, 3/31/1961 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the National Security Council European Affairs Office (Clinton Administration), Jane Holl's Files, ca. 1993, Bosnia - Hercegovina, December 1993 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America, as Guardian of the Indians of the Pueblo of Santa Clara, in the State of New Mexico v. Santiago Abeyta, et al.: Final Decree, 6/25/1931 Transcribe this record.
- "Operation Pierce Arrow, 8/1964, 2 of 2," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 228 Transcribe this record.
- Letter from President George Washington to Madame la Marquise de Lafayette, 6/3/1790 Transcribe this record.
- Collender, Hugh W. v. Came, John E., et al. Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Memos, [Cables, memos, reports, and other material, 11/63-5/67] Vol. XV, 8/1964," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 7 Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, 3/18/1942 - 6/30/1946, Head Office Interview Reports: C Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Indian Arts and Crafts Board, Correspondence, Juneau 1938-49 Transcribe this record.
- Return Certificate Case File of Chinese Departing -- Look Tin Eli (12017/11150) Transcribe this record.
- Criminal Case Files, 1879-1987, U.S. v. Frank James et. al. Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Terrick Compton, Father of Private William Compton, Company H, 2nd New York Cavalry Regiment Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
- United States v. Albert Bates, et.al. Transcript of Record, 10/13/1934 Transcribe this record.
- John F. Tinker et. al. v. The Des Moines Independent Community School District et. al. Transcribe this record.
- Correspondence regarding witness filed in the U.S. Attorneys' Records on Spiro T. Agnew Transcribe this record.
- "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume II, Tabs 18-22," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Mary J. Matthews, Widow of 1st Lieutenant John P. Matthews, Company C, 30th Iowa Infantry Regiment (WC-56842) Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
Questions? Email us at email@example.com