Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
Railroad Valuation Maps, ca. 1915 - ca. 1920
Tag geographic locations and landowner information within each map to make them searchable by name and location. The original maps were created between 1915 and 1920 by ICC and railroad employees who were tasked with inventorying most of the rail lines in the United States. The information within these maps was to be used to determine rates for transportation of freight via those rail lines.
Franklin D. Roosevelt Master Speech Files
Transcribe public statements, speeches and addresses delivered by Franklin D. Roosevelt during his lifetime. The speeches range from a 1898 school debate on the annexation of Hawaii while Roosevelt was a student at Groton School to the draft of the April 13, 1945 Jackson Day address that Roosevelt never delivered because of his death the day before.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Give voice to American soldiers and help transcribe records from the National Archives on the Zooniverse platform:
- The American Soldier: Transcribe this remarkable collection of more than 65,000 handwritten reflections by U.S. soldiers who fought during the Second World War.
- African American Civil War Soldiers: Transcribe military records of over 200,000 African Americans soldiers who fought for their freedom in the American Civil War.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Public Law 87-330: An Act Making Appropriations for Civil Functions Administered by the Department of the Army, Certain Agencies of the Department of the Interior, the Atomic Energy Commission, the Tennessee Valley Authority and Certain Study Commissions, for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1962, and for Other Purposes, 9/30/1961 Transcribe this record.
- White House Luncheon and Dinner Menu, 2/6/1952 Transcribe this record.
- G-2 Division, Berlin Brigade, Intelligence Summary (ISUM #3a) (U), 12/21/1961 Transcribe this record.
- World War I File, 1917-1919: Field Orders and Reports, Special Order Number 35 from Chief of Staff Stuart Heintzelman, 2/4/1919 Transcribe this record.
- Instructions for Shultz-Gromyko Meeting in Geneva, 1/1/1985 Transcribe this record.
- Memorandum for the Record (MFR) of an Interview with a Person Affiliated with the Federal Bureau of Investigation Conducted by Team 6, 1/21/2004 Transcribe this record.
- Zinnamon v. Board of Education of the Pulaski County Special School District, Memorandum Opinion, 7/22/1971 Transcribe this record.
- Letter to Commander-in-Chief and Commanding Officers of All Vessels Regarding Special Order Governing the Examination of Enlisted Men for Entrance to the Naval Academy, 6/20/1914 Transcribe this record.
- Ford Administration Notes of the Cabinet Meeting, 3/12/1975 Transcribe this record.
- "[Section 3 - North Vietnam: All Activity] 3 A (3) Gulf of Tonkin, 8/1964," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 77 Transcribe this record.
- Public Law 87-14: An Act Making Supplemental Appropriations for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1961, and for Other Purposes, 3/31/1961 Transcribe this record.
- United States v. Clure Isenhouer, et. al. Bill of Exceptions Pages 751-1050, 2/4/1918 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America, as Guardian of the Indians of the Pueblo of Santa Clara, in the State of New Mexico v. Santiago Abeyta, et al.: Final Decree, 6/25/1931 Transcribe this record.
- Barbara Chow's Files, 2000 - 2001: Children and Families - CNCS Transcribe this record.
- "Operation Pierce Arrow, 8/1964, 2 of 2," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 228 Transcribe this record.
- Student Organizations in the State of Sao Paulo, 4/15/1965 Transcribe this record.
- Printed Copy of Documents Entered into Evidence in the Case of People of the State of Illinois v. Illinois Central Railroad Company and City of Chicago, 6/2/1887 Transcribe this record.
- Collender, Hugh W. v. Came, John E., et al. Transcribe this record.
- Barbara Chow's Files, 2000 - 2001, Crime - Death Penalty Transcribe this record.
- Records Relating to Key Persons, 11/30/1963 - 9/24/1964, DeMohrenschildt, George, March 4, 1964 Transcribe this record.
- Memorandums from Washington, 1963 Transcribe this record.
- Page from the Senate Legislative Journal Showing the Expungement of a Resolution to Censure the President, 3/28/1834 Transcribe this record.
- Official File Regarding Alleged Loss of Top Secret Document Concerning the Katyn Massacre Transcribe this record.
- United States v. Albert Bates, et.al. Transcript of Record, 10/13/1934 Transcribe this record.
- Portland Branch Evacuee Property Files, 3/18/1942 - 6/30/1946, [B2.16] U.S. Employment Service Transcribe this record.
- John F. Tinker et. al. v. The Des Moines Independent Community School District et. al. Transcribe this record.
- Head Office Motor Vehicle Forms Transcribe this record.
- 1351: William Christy, Assignee of Daniel Walden v. The City Bank of New Orleans Transcribe this record.
- "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume II, Tabs 18-22," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Mary J. Matthews, Widow of 1st Lieutenant John P. Matthews, Company C, 30th Iowa Infantry Regiment (WC-56842) Transcribe this record.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com