Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
Civilian Conservation Corps Photographs
Photographs in the Still Pictures Branch document Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps and activities. Tag the features, details, activities and people found in these photos to make them easier to find in the Catalog! Many photos are mounted on photograph cards; please help transcribe the text found on the photograph cards to make them more searchable.
Affidavits of Rejected Voters, 1872 - 1886
Transcribe papers relating to the denial of the rights of individuals to register as voters or of registered voters to cast their votes. The majority of those denied the right to vote were black citizens. Some records have attachments glued on, do your best to transcribe them in a way that makes sense to you.
Franklin D. Roosevelt Master Speech Files
Transcribe public statements, speeches and addresses delivered by Franklin D. Roosevelt during his lifetime. The speeches range from a 1898 school debate on the annexation of Hawaii while Roosevelt was a student at Groton School to the draft of the April 13, 1945 Jackson Day address that Roosevelt never delivered because of his death the day before.
Forest Service Historical Files, 1901-1962
Transcribe records relating to all aspects of administrative functions of the Intermountain regional office. Topics include water resources, timber management and sales, fire control, buildings, roads and trails, inspections, supervision, general studies, photographic surveys, cooperative programs, public information and education, equipment and materials, legislation, and ranger activities.
Recommendations for Employment, 1861 - 1867
Transcribe correspondence concerning employment at the Schuylkill Arsenal in Philadelphia. Most of the records are letters of recommendation by various politicians and other notable citizens for individuals seeking jobs at the Arsenal, primarily during the Civil War. The majority of the applicants are women who had relatives in the Union Army.
Award Cards, 1942 - 1963
Help us transcribe this large series of index cards for awards that include the Purple Heart, Air Medal Decoration, Commendation Medal, Distinguished Service Cross, and Distinguished Flying Cross. Information included consists of: name, service number, rank, general order number, order date and issuing organization, award type, date awarded and more.
Detailed Interrogation Reports, 1945 - 1946
Help us transcribe reports dealing with the activities of various agents employed by Adolf Hitler, Hermann Göring, and Alfred Rosenberg to acquire artworks for them in Axis-occupied countries. This series includes correspondence from the Art Looting Investigation Unit (ALIU) regarding detailed and consolidated interrogation reports.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Record Group Explorer Missions
The National Archives recently launched a new pathway to view and explore our records: the Record Group Explorer. You can use this tool to see an overview of the scans of records currently available in our Catalog, organized by Record Group and format.
To celebrate the launch of the Record Group Explorer, we’ve created special missions for each Record Group. Give the Explorer a try while contributing as a citizen archivist! Jump in and help tag and transcribe:
- Record Group 469 Records of the U.S. Foreign Assistance Agencies
- Record Group 351: Records of the Government of the District of Columbia
We’ll feature additional Record Groups for future missions. Each of your contributions to these records will help unlock history and make them easier to find in our Catalog for other users.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Give voice to American soldiers and help transcribe records from the National Archives on the Zooniverse platform:
- The American Soldier: Transcribe this remarkable collection of more than 65,000 handwritten reflections by U.S. soldiers who fought during the Second World War.
- African American Civil War Soldiers: Transcribe military records of over 200,000 African Americans soldiers who fought for their freedom in the American Civil War.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Letter from Barbara Evans to Miss E. B. Sayre, 9/29/1953 Transcribe this record.
- Shopping List for Tea for National Society of Daughters of Colonial Wars, 4/16/1948 Transcribe this record.
- United States v. Clure Isenhouer, et. al., Assignment of Errors, 10/16/1917 Transcribe this record.
- National Security Decision Directives (NSDD's), 1/20/1981-1/20/1989, NSDD 60 Preparations for 1983 Summit, 10/9/1982 Transcribe this record.
- World War I File, 1917-1919: Field Orders and Reports: January, 1919, Memorandum from First Lieutenant Jay M. Lee to Division Judge Advocate, 1/4/1919 Transcribe this record.
- McWilliams, Julia C., Application and Personal History Statement - Julia Carolyn McWilliams, 6/12/1942 Transcribe this record.
- Records Relating to Key Persons, 11/30/1963 - 9/24/1964. Oswald, Lee Harvey - Post Russian Period - 2-3 Fair Play for Cuba Committee, Nov 1963, folder 1 Transcribe this record.
- Madalyn Murray O'Hair and Richard F. O'Hair v. Thomas O. Paine, Notice of Appeal to the Fifth Circuit, 12/17/1969 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950 - 1976, 206-01 Combat Artist Program - Policy File 1966 Transcribe this record.
- Letters Received from Commissioned Officers Below the Rank of Commander and from Warrant Officers, 1802 - 1886. Letter(s) received from Ross, Robt Transcribe this record.
- United States v. William S. Porter. Defendants Petition for Writ of Error Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Courts of Appeals, Appellate Case Files, 1929 - 1995, Charles E. Moritz v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Brief for Petitioner-Appellant, 4/7/1971 Transcribe this record.
- Petition for Writ of Certiorari - Number 676 - Kameny v. Brucker Transcribe this record.
- Records of the National Security Council European Affairs Office (Clinton Administration), ca. 1993 - ca. 2001, Congressional Correspondence Regarding the Balkans Transcribe this record.
- Records of District Courts of the United States, 1685 - 2009, Endicott, Jacob v. Venus, Ship and Cargo Transcribe this record.
- United States of America, as Guardian of the Indians of the Pueblo of Santa Clara, in the State of New Mexico v. Santiago Abeyta, et al.: Final Decree, 6/25/1931 Transcribe this record.
- "Operation Pierce Arrow, 8/1964, 2 of 2," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 228 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General, 1774 - 1985, General Correspondence Relating to Organizations, 1939 - 1954, 314.6 T/O (European) Weekly Burial Reports 66-85: 1944 [1 of 2], Report No. 69: January 23, 1944 Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Memos, [Cables, memos, reports, and other material, 11/63-5/67] Vol. XV, 8/1964," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 7 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America v. Alvin Karpavicz, et al. Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, 3/18/1942 - 6/30/1946, Head Office Interview Reports: C Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Indian Arts and Crafts Board, Correspondence, Juneau 1938-49 Transcribe this record.
- Return Certificate Case File of Chinese Departing -- Look Tin Eli (12017/11150) Transcribe this record.
- Criminal Case Files, 1879-1987, U.S. v. Frank James et. al. Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Terrick Compton, Father of Private William Compton, Company H, 2nd New York Cavalry Regiment Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
- United States v. Albert Bates, et.al. Transcript of Record, 10/13/1934 Transcribe this record.
- John F. Tinker et. al. v. The Des Moines Independent Community School District et. al. Transcribe this record.
- "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume II, Tabs 18-22," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Mary J. Matthews, Widow of 1st Lieutenant John P. Matthews, Company C, 30th Iowa Infantry Regiment (WC-56842) Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
Questions? Email us at email@example.com