- What is ARCIS?
- What does ARCIS do?
- How does ARCIS help Federal Records Officers?
- How does ARCIS help front-line FRC customers?
- How does ARCIS affect requesting general purpose and local agency records from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)?
- Sign up for ARCIS
- ARCIS Customer Portal - (Sign in)
What is ARCIS?
ARCIS is the web-based IT system of the Federal Records Centers (FRCs) of the National Archives and Records Administration. The system is the online portal through which your agency can do business with the FRCs. Download the Manuals.
What does ARCIS do?
ARCIS allows your agency to conduct all transactions online, saving you time and reducing paperwork. The system also lets you track your transactions electronically, giving you instant access to information about your records. And ARCIS does all of this in a secure, user-friendly environment.
ARCIS helps you...
Expedite data entry
- Your profile is saved in the system so that frequently entered information - for example, your address and record group - gets filled in automatically every time you log in.
- Easy-to-use drop-down menus make it simple to select the right options for your transaction.
Keep track of past transactions
- ARCIS automatically saves information on all your transactions, which can be tracked and printed as needed.
Access information anytime, anywhere, and from any computer
- If you can access the Internet, you can access ARCIS. Information in the system is always up-to-date.
Enhance the security of your transactions
ARCIS is a secure, web-based system that runs on all standard browsers. It does not require you to install software or other executable programs that could compromise security, and it never stores cookies.
Security features include:
- User authentication for secured system access using directory service (LDAP)
- Password encryption
- SSL encryption between browser and web server
- End-to-end encryption for data confidentiality between server components
- Roles-based restricted access to system functions
- Secure physical deployment to prevent intrusion
- Ability to restrict access to certain records (such as classified) to approved subgroup of users
Learn the system quickly
- ARCIS's intuitive design makes it easy to learn and use.
- A number of helpful resources - including webinars, tutorials, FAQs, and manuals - are available online.
- Live help is just a phone call or a mouse click away at the ARCIS help desk.
How does ARCIS help Federal Records Officers?
ARCIS helps you...
Improve control over access to your records
- You have complete control over how many users have access to your records, who those users are, and what they are allowed to do.
- You can restrict the roles of individual users. For example, you can grant reference authority to a wide group of users while restricting disposal authority to a smaller group.
- All users have named access, so you always know who logged in and what transactions they made.
- You can manage user access online from any computer, any time.
Manage records transactions for your agency at a macro level
- ARCIS allows you to see all of your agency's transactions--from initiation to completion--for all your agency users.
How does ARCIS help front-line FRC customers?
ARCIS helps you...
- You no longer need to type, copy, and mail forms - all transactions can be completed and submitted right from your computer
- Transfer and disposal approvals can be given online; no signature is required.
- When you submit information online, it is instantly received by your FRC, which can go to work immediately to process your transaction
Find your records faster
- ARCIS maintains location information on your records, so you no longer have to. When you want to recall a record, all you need is the transfer number - the system remembers the location. And if your records are ever relocated, the system updates the location automatically.
Track your records
- All new transactions will be bar coded, and the bar codes will be scanned by FRC staff as transactions are processed. So you can instantly check the status of any transaction.
- ARCIS uses industry-standard bar codes that you can use with your own equipment for local inventory control.