Federal Records Centers

FRC Special Transfers

The majority of transfers to FRCs are paper-based, long-term, scheduled, temporary, non-classified records. If your transfer does NOT fall into these categories, please note the following:

  • Unscheduled Records
    In order to transfer unscheduled records to an FRC, agencies must:
    • Inform NARA's Records Appraisal and Agency Assistance (ACRA) office in writing prior to the transfer (ACRA Appraisal Archivists). This can be done by sending ACRA a copy of the SF 135 submitted for FRC approval before transferring the unscheduled records to the FRC. Be sure to include on the SF 135 the date you notified ACRA. ACRA's address is: 8601 Adelphi Road, Room 2200, College Park, MD 20740.
    • If the records are included on a currently pending schedule, include the pending schedule disposition number on the proposed SF 135.
    • Include the official bucket or series title (if applicable) or a general descriptive title for the records in item 6(f): series description on the SF 135.
    • Include a folder title list of the box contents or equivalent detailed records description; with dates (if applicable). This description can be listed under item 6(f): series description or included as an attachment.
    • Indicate "U" for unscheduled records under item 6(i) disposal date on the SF 135.
    • See 36 CFR 1232; and 1233, Code of Federal Regulations (Transfer of Records to Record Storage Facilities) (Transfer, Use, and Disposition of Records in a NARA Federal Records Centers) (www.archives.gov/about/regulations/regulations.html ) for more information on transferring unscheduled records.
  • Active Records
    Agencies may transfer active records to an FRC. Usually, these records stay on-site in the agency office. However, some active records may be suitable for off-site storage. Contact your local area FRC or Account Manager for details.
  • Records with Short Retention Periods
    FRCs will accept records that have less than a one-year retention period before disposition, but agencies should consider the costs of proposing such a transfer. It may be more cost-effective to simply retain the records for the short time they are still needed.
  • Mixed Series
    FRCs, by prior agreement with some agencies, will accept mixed-series transfers. These transfers must consist of only one box. Contact your agency's records officer (Contact Information for Federal Agency Records Officers) to determine if such an agreement exists for your agency.
  • Mixed-media (Non-textual) Records
    FRCs can accept for storage mixed-media records (e.g. videos, cassettes, CDs, diskettes, etc. intermingled with textual paper records.) The most common type of records containing mixed media are case files. Please contact your local FRC before transferring mixed-media records. Describe the non-paper media in item 6(f). Because mixed-media records cannot be recycled without screening, the records center will apply additional charges at the time of disposal. Transfers containing a significant amount of non-textual records will be disposed of as non-textual at the higher cost disposal rate (currently $5.50 per box for textual vs $35 per box for non-textual).
  • Permanent Records
    The SF 135 for permanent records must be accompanied by a detailed folder title list. Agencies may include these lists on the SF 135 (if space permits) or as an electronic or hard-copy attachment. See (Bulletin 2014-04 - National Archives and Records Administration) for more information on “Format Guidance for the Transfer of Permanent Electronic Records.”
  • Permanent Microfilm Records
    Permanent microfilm records may be stored at the Washington National Records Center in Suitland, MD, prior to their accessioning to the National Archives.
  • Storage and Servicing of Classified Records
    Only the Washington National Records Center in Suitland, MD, can accept records containing classified National Security Information. It is cleared for Confidential, Secret, Top Secret, Sensitive Compartmentalized Information, Restricted Data, and Formerly Restricted Data.
  • Storage and Servicing of Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI)
    All FRC’s can accept for storage “CUI” Basic” records. Only San Bruno, Kansas City, and the Washington National Records Center can accept “CUI Specified” records. Contact your local area FRC or Account Manager for details.