AC 18. 2023
January 11, 2023
Memorandum to Federal Agency Contacts: General Records Schedule Transmittal 33 and Updates to GRS FAQs
I am pleased to announce the publication of General Records Schedule (GRS) Transmittal 33. It is now available on our website at https://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/grs.html.
This transmittal publishes updates and additions to three previously issued schedules:
- GRS 2.3 Employee Relations Records
- GRS 3.2 Information Systems Security Records
- GRS 6.1 Email and Other Electronic Messages Managed Under a Capstone Approach (Previously Email Managed Under a Capstone Approach)
Please see the transmittal memo for details about specific changes to these schedules.
Along with this transmittal we are also issuing an updated FAQs about GRS 6.1, Email and Other Electronic Messages Managed Under a Capstone Approach.
An updated GRS CSV file is also available on our machine-implementable GRS website.
- Agency Records Officers must disseminate the revised GRS within their agencies no later than July 11, 2023.
- If your agency chooses to use the Capstone approach to managing email and other electronic messages (GRS 6.1), your agency must first submit the form NA-1005, Verification for the Use of GRS 6.1, for NARA review and approval. An agency may not implement GRS 6.1 until NARA approves the form. Agency records officers should submit their form to GRS_Team@nara.gov.
- Your agency may already have an approved form NA-1005. However, NARA Bulletin 2022-02, Resubmission of Capstone Forms requires agencies to resubmit form NA-1005 every four years. The first resubmission cycle runs from January 31, 2023 through April 30, 2023. For more information on form NA-1005 resubmission, see AC Memo 09.2023.
- If your agency intends to use agency-specific schedule items instead of any new or revised item in GRS 2.3 or 3.2 issued in this transmittal, you must inform us at GRS_Team@nara.gov by May 11, 2023. You will need to provide the agency-specific schedule and item numbers as well as the related GRS items. If you require more time to submit a GRS notification, please email the GRS Team prior to the due date.
- Agencies wishing to use new agency-specific schedule items for previously issued GRS items must submit a new schedule requesting a deviation from the GRS.
Chief Records Officer
for the U.S. Government