Professional Organizations for Archives and Records Management
- Academy of Certified Archivists
Independent, nonprofit certifying organization of professional archivists.
- Associated Organizations & Associations
Links to organizations, associations and groups related to or of interest to the archival profession. Page maintained by the Society of American Archivists.
- Association for Social Science Information Service and Technology (IASSIST)
International organization of professionals working in and with information technology and data services to support research and teaching in the social sciences.
- Association of Information Management Professionals (ARMA)
Not-for-profit professional association and authority on managing records and information – paper and electronic.
- Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA)
Non-profit professional association established to advance the field of moving image archiving by fostering cooperation among individuals and organizations concerned with the acquisition, description, preservation, exhibition and use of moving image materials.
- Directory of Regional, State and Local Archival Organizations in the United States
Listing of regional, state and local archival organizations in the United States. Information available in an alphabetical list or by region.
- International Council on Archives (ICA)
Promotes the preservation and use of archives around the world. The ICA Directory is available here.
- International Federation of Film Archives
FIAF is a collaborative association of the worlds leading film archives whose purpose is to ensure the proper preservation and showing of motion pictures.
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC)
A volunteer, regional consortium of archivists who live and work in the states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia, and in the District of Columbia.
- National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA)
Professional association dedicated to supporting government archivists and records managers.
- National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA) Members Web Sites
Links to all programs affiliated with NAGARA.
- Society of American Archivists (SAA)
North Americas oldest and largest national archival professional association.
- American Library Association (ALA)
Mission is "To provide leadership for the development, promotion and improvement of library and information services and the profession of librarianship."
Association for Library and Information Science Education
Promotes excellence in research, teaching, and service, and provides an understanding of the values and ethos of library and information science.
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
Professional association of academic librarians. ACRL is a division of the American Library Association.
- Association of Research Libraries
Nonprofit organization of 123 research libraries at comprehensive, research-extensive institutions in the U.S. and Canada.
- Beta Phi Mu
An organization founded in 1948 to recognize and encourage scholastic achievement among library and information studies students.
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Independent, nonprofit organization which works to maintain and improve access to information.
- Federal Library and Information Center Committee
Division of the Library of Congress whose mission is to foster excellence in federal library and information services through interagency cooperation.
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
International body representing the interests of library and information services and their users.
- Library and Information Technology Association
Promotes, develops, and aids in the implementation of library and information technology. LITA is a division of the American Library Association.
Lyrasis is a library network created by the merger of PALINET and SOLINET. It allows member libraries to collaboratively solve problems and create new products and services.
- The American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
Establishes and upholds professional standards, promotes research and publications, provides educational opportunities, and fosters the exchange of knowledge among conservators, allied professionals, and the public.
- Conservation OnLine (CoOL)
Full text library of conservation information, covering a wide spectrum of topics of interest to those involved with the conservation of library, archives and museum materials.
- Library Preservation at Harvard
Provides information about the programs and services in preservation available through the libraries of Harvard University and Harvard College.
- Library of Congress Preservation
Mission is to assure long-term, uninterrupted access to the intellectual content of the Librarys collections, either in original or reformatted form. Provides conservation, binding and repair, reformatting, materials testing, and staff and user education.
- National Film Preservation Foundation (NFPF)
Nonprofit organization created by the U.S. Congress to help save Americas film heritage; supports activities nationwide that preserve American films and improve film access for study, education, and exhibition.
- Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC)
Mission is to improve the conservation efforts of libraries, archives, historical organizations, museums, and other repositories.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
Oversees the creation, promulgation and use of thousands of norms and guidelines.
- American Society For Testing and Materials (ASTM International)
A voluntary standards development organization, a source for technical standards for materials, products, systems, and services.
- Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM)
Non-profit organization focused on helping users to understand the challenges associated with managing documents, content, records, and business processes.
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
Identifies, develops, maintains, and publishes technical standards to manage information.