Research Our Records

Obtaining Copies of Court Records in the Federal Records Centers

You can order copies of closed bankruptcy, civil, criminal, and court of appeals case files.
(The following order instructions apply to all court records.)

To order court records online:

  1. Visit the National Archives Order Reproductions page
  2. Click on "Order Reproductions" then "Court Records"
  3. Select the appropriate court (Bankruptcy, Civil, Criminal, or Court of Appeals)
  4. Follow the onscreen prompts to set up an account and place your order.

To order court records via mail/fax/email:

Fee Changes
Please note that some of the fees in the forms have changed.
See the NARA Reproduction Fee Schedule.
  1. Download and complete the appropriate form
  2. Mail/fax/email the form to the appropriate facility (see page 2 of the forms above for contact information).

On-Site Review Services have been Discontinued

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is now providing access to court records exclusively by online ordering or by mail or fax. NARA will no longer provide on-site court case review services to the public at its Federal Records Centers.

This change applies to all closed bankruptcy, civil, criminal, and court of appeals case files that remain in the legal custody of the courts but are physically stored at NARA's Federal Records Centers.

The National Archives is making this change because records can now easily be ordered electronically. It is no longer cost-effective to operate satellite research rooms to provide access to these records.

Access to court cases is now available only via online ordering or by mail or fax at these facilities:

  • Atlanta Federal Records Center
  • Boston Federal Records Center
  • Chicago Federal Records Center
  • Dayton Federal Records Center
  • Denver Federal Records Center
  • Fort Worth Federal Records Center
  • Lee's Summit Federal Records Center
  • Lenexa Federal Records Center
  • Philadelphia Federal Records Center
  • Riverside Federal Records Center
  • San Bruno Federal Records Center
  • Seattle Federal Records Center
  • Washington National Records Center (Suitland, MD)

Customers wishing to access these records in person can do so at the appropriate Federal Court office.

Please note that fees to obtain copies of court records from NARA's Federal Records Centers have not changed under this new policy.