Finding Aids for the National Archives at San Francisco
The National Archives at San Bruno in San Francisco, California, is part of one of the National Archives' 11 Regional Archives. The National Archives at San Bruno holds federal records from Northern and Central California, Nevada (except Clark County), Hawaii, American Somoa and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
NARA's Pacific Region (San Francisco) has a variety of guides, reference information papers, lists, and other finding aids.
- Guide to Archival Holdings at NARA's Pacific Region (San
Record group level descriptions of archival holdings including agency administrative history; dates and volume; narrative description of source, content, and types of records; list of finding aids and related microfilm; restriction statements. Entries provide details not available in the Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States, 1995.
How to Search Our Materials
National Archives Catalog
The National Archives Catalog contains selected information pertaining to records at the San Bruno facility. To find descriptions of selected records from the facility's archival holdings in this searchable database, use the search box below, or click on one of the selected topics. If you do not find the records you are seeking, please contact the National Archives at San Bruno staff.
MicrofilmSearch Microfilm available in the National Archives at San Francisco
- From the Microfilm Search page, click on the blue "Use our Microfilm Search" button
- Click on "Advanced Search" (link is to the right of the Search button)
- Under "Viewing Location", select the Pacific Region (San Bruno) from the dropdown menu
- Click on "Search"
- Tip: You can narrow your search by entering a term under "Subject Terms", such as "military" or "census".
See also Microfilm lists for Vessels arriving at San Francisco, Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1891--1957
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, Microfilm Roll List
- Lists of Former Inmates of U.S. Penitentiary, Alcatraz, 1934-63 from Records of the Bureau of Prisons (RG 129)
Records in the
National Archives-Pacific Sierra Region for the Study of Ethnic History
Records in the
National Archives-Pacific Sierra Region for the Study of Labor and Business History,
- Records in
the National Archives-Pacific Sierra Region for the Study of Science, Technology, Natural
Resources, and the Environment
- Chinese Immigration and Chinese in the United States: Records
the Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration, RIP 99,
Selected information pertains to records at the San Francisco facility.
- New Accessions
- World War II War Casualties from California
Army and Army Air Forces Personnel
Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Personnel
- Hire an Independent Researcher to assist you at this facility
- 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire
- The Deadly Virus: The Influenza Epidemic of 1918
- Effects of the San Francisco Earthquake
For Educators and Students
- Resources for Teaching History in California, Lesson Plans
- "World War II At Home: Californians' Involvement in the War Effort" , Lesson Plan
- Bright Ideas
from the National Archives for National History Day 1999
- Japanese Relocation and Internment During World War
- Teaching With Documents: Documents and Photographs Related to Japanese Relocation During World War II
When an American City Is Destroyed:
The U.S. Military as First Responders to the San Francisco Earthquake a Century Ago,
by Rebecca Livingston
- The EARS Have It: A Web Search Tool for Investigation Case Files from the Chinese Exclusion Era, by Robert Barde, William Greene, and Daniel Nealand