The National Declassification Center
NDC - "Releasing All We Can, Protecting What We Must"
Notice to NARA Researchers and FOIA Requesters
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of our staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference or FOIA request or appeal. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.
New Entries Released by the National Declassification Center
Updated January 15, 2020
2020 First Quarter Release List
On January 3, 2020, the NDC released a listing of 206 entries that completed declassification processing between October 1, 2019, and December 31, 2019. These records are now available for researcher requests. This release consists of textual and special media records from military and civilian agencies as well as the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum. The FY2020-Q1 Release List is available to view or download in PDF and Excel formats:
Highlights from the released records include:
- Bureau of Ships, Preliminary Design History and Data Files of Ships, 1909-1966
- Bureau of Ships, Ship Records Relating to Mine Warfare, Radiological Defense, and Counter-Measures, 1940-1970
- Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Secret Naval Intelligence Reports
- Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Operational Archives Publications and Other Records Regarding World War II and the Korean War
- Department of State, Records Relating to the U.S.-Canada International Joint Commission
- Bureau of Aeronautics, Reports Relating to Nuclear Energy
- Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State, Classified Files Maintained by Robert Strausz-Hupe, Ambassador to Ceylon, Belgium, Sweden, and NATO, 1970-1977
- Office of the Chief of Ordnance, Joint Army-Navy-Air Force (JANAF) Project Files
- Atomic Energy Commission, Decimal Correspondence Relating to the X-10 Reactor Plant
- Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum, White House Tapes: Sound Recordings of Meetings and Telephone Conversations of the Nixon Administration (February 16, 1971-July 18, 1973)
- Department of the Navy, Hardtack Eniwetok (Motion Picture)
- Department of the Navy, Operation Sailor Hat (Motion Picture)
- Department of the Navy, Polaris Weapons Systems Development, 1959 (Motion Picture)
To request access to the newly released records or to order copies, please contact Archives 2 Reference at 301-837-3510 or email@example.com. For Nixon Tapes, please contact the Nixon Library at 714-983-9120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that some series may contain other restrictions such as privacy or law enforcement and may require screening or a FOIA request prior to access. When making a request, please cite the Record Group/Collection Identifier, the HMS Entry, and Series Title.