The Office of Government Information Services
The Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) is a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) resource for the public and the government. Congress has charged us with reviewing FOIA policies, procedures and compliance of Federal agencies and identifying ways to improve compliance. Our mission also includes resolving FOIA disputes between Federal agencies and requesters.
OGIS is a place where anyone can ask for FOIA assistance. In other words we also serve the FOIA Ombudsman -- answering questions, tracking suggestions and providing information. See something we should know about? Have a suggestion to improve FOIA? Let us know!
April 12, 2021
April 7, 2021
- Register now to virtually attend the Chief FOIA Officers Council Meeting on Thu, April 29, 2021 at 9:30 a.m. (EDT)!
April 5, 2021
March 31, 2021
March 29, 2021
Our Mediation Program assists the public and Federal agencies by helping them resolve their FOIA disputes, and by addressing their questions and concerns about the FOIA process.
OGIS Advisory Opinions
OGIS Advisory Opinions address the common disputes, complaints, and trends that are likely to lead to litigation.
- Agencies Must Provide Estimated Dates of Completion Upon Request (Mar 31, 2020)
- Agency Communication with Requesters (Jul 18, 2018)
OGIS FOIA Ombuds Observer
The FOIA Ombuds Observer, addresses questions and issues frequently seen in our individual cases concerning FOIA disputes between requesters and Federal agenies.
- Estimated Dates of Completion: Best Practices for Requesters (Mar 31, 2020)
- Using FOIA to Access Immigration Records, Companion (Sep 26, 2018)
- Using FOIA to Access Immigration Records (Aug 29, 2018)
OGIS Issue Assessments
- Follow-up on Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Website Communications on COVID-19 (Jan 27, 2021)
- Methods Agencies Use to Prepare Documents for Posting on Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Websites (Dec 16, 2020)
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Performance Measures for Non-FOIA Professionals(Sep 29, 2020)
- Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Website Communications on COVID-19 (Jun 15, 2020)
- Agency Compliance with the Estimated Date of Completion Requirement of the Freedom of Information Act (Mar 31, 2020)