The Office of Government Information Services
The Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) is a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) resource for the public and the government. Congress has charged us with reviewing FOIA policies, procedures and compliance of Federal agencies and identifying ways to improve compliance. Our mission also includes resolving FOIA disputes between Federal agencies and requesters.
OGIS is a place where anyone can ask for FOIA assistance. In other words we also serve the FOIA Ombudsman -- answering questions, tracking suggestions and providing information. See something we should know about? Have a suggestion to improve FOIA? Let us know!
November 25, 2020
Check out this week's blog post for information about the FOIA Advisory Committee's upcoming virtual meeting on December 10 and how you can register to attend.
October 14, 2020
Today from 10 AM to 12:30 PM (ET), we're live streaming the Chief FOIA Officers Council Meeting on YouTube. We hope you'll join us!
October 6, 2020
Check out yesterday's blog post for information on the upcoming Chief FOIA Officers Council meeting and a Q&A with recently appointed Department of Homeland Security Chief FOIA Officer Dena Kozanas.
Compliance Assessments and Reports
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Performance Measures for Non-FOIA Professionals(Sep 29, 2020)
- OGIS Review of U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission FOIA Program(Sep 16, 2020)
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Website Communications on COVID-19(Jun 15, 2020)
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Agency Compliance with the Estimated Date of Completion Requirement of the Freedom of Information Act(Mar 31, 2020)
- OGIS Report: Assessing FOIA Compliance through the 2018 National Archives and Records Administration’s Records Management Self-Assessment(Feb 11, 2020)
- More assessments and reports are available on our Compliance Program webpage.
- OGIS Dispute Resolution Case Metrics for Fiscal Year 2020, Quarter 4
- OGIS Advisory Opinion 2020-01: Agencies Must Provide Estimated Dates of Completion Upon Request(Mar 31, 2020)
- OGIS FOIA Ombuds Observer 2020-01: Estimated Dates of Completion: Best Practices for Requesters (Mar 31, 2020)
- OGIS Annual Report for the Fiscal Year 2019(Mar 2020)
Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council
Webinar: Artificial Intelligence for FOIA Professionals (Nov 5, 2020)
- CFO Council, Meeting Materials (Oct 14, 2020)
- CFO Council, Technology Committee Report: Best Practices and Recommendations(Feb 14, 2020)
- More information is available on our Chief FOIA Officers Council webpage
Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council - Technology Committee
- CFO Council, Technology Committee Update for the FOIA Advisory Committee(Sep 10, 2020)
- More information is available on our Technology Committee webpage
FOIA Advisory Committee
- The 2020-2020 term of the FOIA Advisory Committee held its first meeting on September 10, 2020.
- Final Report and Recommendations of the 2018-2020 Term of the FOIA Advisory Committee(Jul 9, 2020)
- Final Report and Recommendations of the 2016-2018 Term of the FOIA Advisory Committee (Apr 17, 2018)
- More information is available on our FOIA Advisory Committee webpage.