The Office of Government Information Services (OGIS)
The Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) is a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) resource for the public and the government. Congress has charged us with reviewing FOIA policies, procedures, and compliance of Federal agencies and identifying ways to improve compliance. Our mission also includes resolving FOIA disputes between Federal agencies and requesters.
OGIS is a place where anyone can ask for FOIA assistance. In other words, we also serve as the FOIA Ombudsman -- answering questions, tracking suggestions, and providing information. See something we should know about? Have a suggestion to improve FOIA? Let us know!
- Annual Open Meeting
- Annual Reports
- Congressional Testimony
- Contact Information
- Meet the Director
- Mission, Goals, Vision, and Values
- Posting Policy for Public Comments
- Press Inquiries and Press Releases
- Recommendations to Improve FOIA Administration
- Statements and Executive Correspondence
We assist the public and Federal agencies by helping them resolve their FOIA disputes, and by addressing their questions and concerns about the FOIA process.
- How to Request FOIA Help
- FOIA Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- The Mediation Process
- Request assistance with a Federal FOIA issue or dispute
The FOIA mandates that OGIS review agency FOIA policies, procedures and compliance. We do this in a variety of ways.
- Agency Compliance Reports
- Agency Self-Assessments
- FOIA Resources
- Targeted FOIA Compliance Assessments
Chief FOIA Officers Council
OGIS Advisory Opinions address the common disputes, complaints, and trends that are likely to lead to litigation.
- Agencies Must Provide Estimated Dates of Completion Upon Request (Mar 31, 2020)
- Agency Communication with Requesters (Jul 18, 2018)
FOIA Ombuds Observer
The FOIA Ombuds Observer addresses questions and issues frequently seen in our individual cases concerning FOIA disputes between requesters and Federal agencies.
- Estimated Dates of Completion: Best Practices for Requesters (Mar 31, 2020)
- Using FOIA to Access Immigration Records, Companion (Sep 26, 2018)
- Using FOIA to Access Immigration Records (Aug 29, 2018)
- Assessing Freedom of Information Act Compliance through the 2020 National Archives and Records Administration’s Records Management Self-Assessment (Sep 28, 2021)
- Commonly Requested Categories of First-party Records (Aug 30, 2021)
- Follow-up on Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Website Communications on COVID-19 (Jan 27, 2021)
- Methods Agencies Use to Prepare Documents for Posting on Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Websites (Dec 16, 2020)
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Performance Measures for Non-FOIA Professionals(Sep 29, 2020)
- Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Website Communications on COVID-19 (Jun 15, 2020)
- Agency Compliance with the Estimated Date of Completion Requirement of the Freedom of Information Act (Mar 31, 2020)