The Office of Government Information Services
The Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) is a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) resource for the public and the government. Congress has charged us with reviewing FOIA policies, procedures and compliance of Federal agencies and identifying ways to improve compliance. Our mission also includes resolving FOIA disputes between Federal agencies and requesters.
OGIS is a place where anyone can ask for FOIA assistance. In other words we also serve the FOIA Ombudsman -- answering questions, tracking suggestions and providing information. See something we should know about? Have a suggestion to improve FOIA? Let us know!
January 14, 2020
Check out our latest blog post, Getting to Know the FOIA Advisory Committee: Roger Andoh. Mr. Andoh is the FOIA Director for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and a member of the 2020-2022 term of the FOIA Advisory Committee.
January 7, 2020
Today's blog post features an interview with David Cuillier, Director of Graduate Studies and Associate Professor at the University of Arizona School of Journalism and a member of the FOIA Advisory Committee.
December 10, 2020
Thanks to those who virtually joined us for today's FOIA Advisory Committee Meeting! We're sorry for the technical difficulties that cut the public comment period short. If you have questions comments or questions that you would like submit to the Committee, please send them via email to email@example.com. Before submitting your comments, please read our Contact Us/Submit Comments and Posting Policy for Public Comments page.
Compliance Assessments and Reports
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Performance Measures for Non-FOIA Professionals(Sep 29, 2020)
- OGIS Review of U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission FOIA Program(Sep 16, 2020)
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Website Communications on COVID-19(Jun 15, 2020)
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Agency Compliance with the Estimated Date of Completion Requirement of the Freedom of Information Act(Mar 31, 2020)
- More assessments and reports are available on our Compliance Program webpage.
- OGIS Dispute Resolution Case Metrics for Fiscal Year 2020, Quarter 4
- OGIS Advisory Opinion 2020-01: Agencies Must Provide Estimated Dates of Completion Upon Request(Mar 31, 2020)
- OGIS FOIA Ombuds Observer 2020-01: Estimated Dates of Completion: Best Practices for Requesters (Mar 31, 2020)
- OGIS Annual Report for the Fiscal Year 2019(Mar 2020)
Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council
Webinar: Artificial Intelligence for FOIA Professionals (Nov 5, 2020)
- CFO Council, Meeting Materials (Oct 14, 2020)
- CFO Council, Technology Committee Report: Best Practices and Recommendations(Feb 14, 2020)
- More information is available on our Chief FOIA Officers Council webpage
Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council - Technology Committee
- CFO Council, Technology Committee Update for the FOIA Advisory Committee(Sep 10, 2020)
- More information is available on our Technology Committee webpage
FOIA Advisory Committee
- FOIA Advisory Committee, 2020-2022 term homepage
- Final Report and Recommendations of the 2018-2020 Term of the FOIA Advisory Committee(Jul 9, 2020)
- Final Report and Recommendations of the 2016-2018 Term of the FOIA Advisory Committee (Apr 17, 2018)
- More information is available on our FOIA Advisory Committee webpage.