The Office of Government Information Services
The Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) is a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) resource for the public and the government. Congress has charged us with reviewing FOIA policies, procedures and compliance of Federal agencies and identifying ways to improve compliance. Our mission also includes resolving FOIA disputes between Federal agencies and requesters.
OGIS is a place where anyone can ask for FOIA assistance. In other words we also serve the FOIA Ombudsman -- answering questions, tracking suggestions and providing information. See something we should know about? Have a suggestion to improve FOIA? Let us know!
September 17, 2020
Today on our blog, we announced the publication of our FOIA compliance assessment report on the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
September 10, 2020
Today the National Archives and Records Administration virtually hosted the first meeting of the 2020-2022 term of the FOIA Advisory Committee. Materials from the meeting are available on the 2020-2022 term's meetings page.
August 13, 2020
Yesterday on our blog, we announced that the Archivist of the United States appointed new members to serve on the 2020-2022 term of the FOIA Advisory Committee.
Compliance Assessments and Reports
- OGIS Review of U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission FOIA Program(Sep 16, 2020)
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Agency Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Website Communications on COVID-19(Jun 15, 2020)
- OGIS Issue Assessment: FOIA Requests for CDC COVD-19 Records Webinar (May 12, 2020)
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Agency Compliance with the Estimated Date of Completion Requirement of the Freedom of Information Act(Mar 31, 2020)
- OGIS Report: Assessing FOIA Compliance through the 2018 National Archives and Records Administration’s Records Management Self-Assessment(Feb 11, 2020)
- OGIS Review of U.S. Department of Education FOIA Program (Sep 2019)
- OGIS Issue Assessment: Leveraging Technology to Improve Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Searches(Jul 2019)
- More assessments and reports are available on our Compliance Program webpage.
- OGIS Dispute Resolution Case Metrics for Fiscal Year 2020, Quarter 3
- OGIS Dispute Resolution Case Metrics for Fiscal Year 2020, Quarter 2
- OGIS Advisory Opinion 2020-01: Agencies Must Provide Estimated Dates of Completion Upon Request(Mar 31, 2020)
- OGIS FOIA Ombuds Observer 2020-01: Estimated Dates of Completion: Best Practices for Requesters (Mar 31, 2020)
- OGIS Annual Report for the Fiscal Year 2019(Mar 2020)
Chief FOIA Officers Council
- Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council, Technology Committee Report: Best Practices and Recommendations(Feb 14, 2020)
- More information is available on our Chief FOIA Officers Council webpage
FOIA Advisory Committee
- The 2020-2020 term of the FOIA Advisory Committee held its first meeting on September 10, 2020.
- Final Report and Recommendations of the 2018-2020 Term of the FOIA Advisory Committee(Jul 9, 2020)
- Final Report and Recommendations of the 2016-2018 Term of the FOIA Advisory Committee (Apr 17, 2018)
- More information is available on our FOIA Advisory Committee webpage.