Contact Us/Submit Comments
The National Archives and Records Administration encourages your questions and comments about and suggestions for the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Advisory Committee. We invite you to submit your written comments to the Committee by email, mail, or fax.
National Archives and Records Administration
Office of Government Information Services
ATTN: FOIA Advisory Committee
8601 Adelphi Road - OGIS
College Park, MD 20740-6001
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Advisory Committee seeks public comment on its activities and other FOIA matters. The following policies apply to letters and comments submitted to the FOIA Advisory Committee.
Your comments are welcome at any time. We will circulate written comments and letters submitted to Committee members and post them to the website as soon as possible upon receipt.
The Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) will post all comments, with attachments and other supporting materials, to the FOIA Advisory Committee website without edits or redactions. This means that any business or personal information included in the correspondence such as names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers will be visible to the public.
To foster an open dialogue, the FOIA Advisory Committee requests that commenters sign their correspondence with their real names. However, the Committee will accept and post comments that are anonymous or submitted under an Internet handle, if the comments comply with the posting policies described on this webpage.
Comments to the FOIA Advisory Committee should be substantive commentary on topics pertaining to the Committee’s work. OGIS will not post comments that are clearly off-topic or that promote services or products.
OGIS will not post comments that contain abusive, vulgar, offensive, threatening, or harassing language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms that target specific individuals or groups.
Gratuitous links to products, services, or entities to sites are viewed as spam and will not be posted.
OGIS does not discriminate against any views, but reserves the right not to post comments that do not adhere to these standards.
Recommendations for Submitting Effective Comments
If you wish to submit a comment to the Committee, please consider the following tips:
- If the Committee calls for comments on a specific document (such as a draft report or recommendation), please read the document before submitting your comment. If you identify a problem with the document on which you are commenting, consider suggesting alternative language.
- Comments that clearly identify and describe issue(s) are most useful to the Committee.
- Data and/or anecdotes drawn from one’s own experience can help the Committee understand your position on an issue. Wherever possible, include citations or links to relevant studies, articles, reports, or legal authorities that support your points.
- Consider the pros and cons of your position and explain them. Consider the views and suggestions of others, and respond to them with facts and reasons.
- If you respond to the comments of others, identify the relevant comment in your response.
- If you have credentials or experience that give you expertise in the topic on which you are commenting, explain what they are. If you are commenting on behalf of an organization, explain the nature of your organization.
Please contact us if you have any questions.