Co-Chairs: Eric Stein, U.S. Department of State and Michael Sarich, Veterans Health Administration
Membership: The Technology Committee has 40 members from at least 25 departments/agencies.
In response to a recommendationof the 2016-2018 term of the FOIA Advisory Committee, the Archivist of the United States proposed that the Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council seek to establish a technology committee, in partnership with the Chief Information Officer (CFO) Council, to study the utilization and deployment of technology in FOIA programs across agencies, and identify best practices and recommendations that can be implemented across agencies.
In September 2018, the CFO Council co-chairs established the Technology Subcommittee (later renamed as the Technology Committee). Two senior FOIA professionals at the Department of State and the Veterans Health Administration co-chair the Committee; membership includes FOIA professionals from the Departments of Homeland Security and the Interior, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Institute of Library and Museum Services, American Battle Monuments Commission, Social Security Administration, Air Force Declassification Office, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The Committee liaises with OIP and OGIS.
The Technology Committee was formerly known as the Technology Subcommittee.
- Report of the Technology Committee of the Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council – Best Practices and Recommendations(Feb 14, 2020)
- OIP Best Practices Workshop: FOIA and Technology
- Technology Committee added about 25 new members
- Established FOIA Technology Working Groups and their Charters (see below)
February 9 and 10, 2022 - NexGen FOIA Tech Showcase
The CFO Council's Technology Committee, in conjunction with The Office of Information Services (OGIS) at the National Archives and Records Administration and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) Office of Information Policy (OIP), held a two-day event for federal agencies in February 2022 called the NexGen FOIA Tech Showcase.
More information about the NexGen FOIA Tech Showcase can be found here.
To learn more, read the November 12. 2021 OGIS blog post, FOIA Technology Showcase: Request for Information Published on SAM.gov!
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Committee Update for the Chief FOIA Officers Council (Apr 29, 2021)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Committee, Artificial Intelligence Working Group webinar for government employees and contractors, "AI in FOIA Overview" (Nov 5, 2020)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Committee Update for the Chief FOIA Officers Council(Oct 14, 2020)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Committee Update for the FOIA Advisory Committee(Sep 10, 2020)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Subcommittee Co-Chairs Report to the FOIA Advisory Committee (Sep 5, 2019)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Subcommittee Co-Chairs Report to the Chief FOIA Officers Council(Aug 5, 2019)
- FOIA Searches: Key Challenges and Findings - Technology Committee of the Chief FOIA Officers Council (Sep 29, 2021)
- Best Practices for Video Redaction - Technology Committee of the Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council (Jul 29, 2021)
- Report of the Technology Committee of the Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council – Best Practices and Recommendations (Feb 14, 2020)
In 2020, the Technology Committee established seven interagency working groups comprised of Committee members. Below is a list of those seven working groups followed by each group’s respective charter. Target milestones in each charter are subject to change.
- 508 Compliance and Collaborative Tools | Charter
- Artificial Intelligence | Charter
- FOIA and Classified Information | Charter
- FOIA Searches | Charter
- FOIAonline | Charter
- FOIAXpress | Charter
- Video Review and Redactions | Charter