Technology Committee of the Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council
Co-Chairs: Eric Stein, U.S. Department of State and Michael Sarich, Veterans Health Administration
Membership: The Technology Committee has 40 members from at least 25 departments/agencies.
In response to a recommendationof the 2016-2018 term of the FOIA Advisory Committee, the Archivist of the United States proposed that the Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council seek to establish a technology committee, in partnership with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) Council, to study the utilization and deployment of technology in FOIA programs across agencies, and identify best practices and recommendations that can be implemented across agencies.
In September 2018, the CFO Council co-chairs established the Technology Subcommittee (later renamed as the Technology Committee). Two senior FOIA professionals at the Department of State and the Veterans Health Administration co-chair the Committee; membership includes FOIA professionals from the Departments of Homeland Security and the Interior, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Institute of Library and Museum Services, American Battle Monuments Commission, Social Security Administration, Air Force Declassification Office, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The Committee liaises with OIP and OGIS.
The Technology Committee was formerly known as the Technology Subcommittee.
- Report of the Technology Committee of the Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council – Best Practices and Recommendations(Feb 14, 2020)
- OIP Best Practices Workshop: FOIA and Technology
- Technology Committee added about 25 new members
- Established Eight FOIA Technology Working Groups
- Developing Working Group Charters
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Committee, Artificial Intelligence Working Group webinar for government employees and contractors, "AI in FOIA Overview" (Nov 5, 2020)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Committee Update for the Chief FOIA Officers Council(Oct 14, 2020)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Committee Update for the FOIA Advisory Committee(Sep 10, 2020)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Subcommittee Co-Chairs Report to the FOIA Advisory Committee (Sep 5, 2019)
- Chief FOIA Officers Council, Technology Subcommittee Co-Chairs Report to the Chief FOIA Officers Council(Aug 5, 2019)
- Report of the Technology Committee of the Chief FOIA Officers (CFO) Council – Best Practices and Recommendations (Feb 14, 2020)
In 2020, the Technology Committee established seven interagency working groups comprised of Committee members. Below is a list of those seven working groups followed by each group’s respective charter. Target milestones in each charter are subject to change.