Document Drafting Handbook
Use this Federal Register "ADDRESSES" template for the Regulations.gov eRulemaking Initiative.
The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has issued a directive that requires agencies to use the "ADDRESSES" template displayed below when drafting regulatory actions that offer opportunity for public comment. (See OMB Memorandum for the President's Management Council)
- Proposed Rules
- Direct Final Rules
- Interim Rules
This new format will facilitate public participation in rulemaking in accordance with the President's eRulemaking initiative (see www.Regulations.gov), and implement section 206 of the E-Government Act of 2002, P.L. 107-347, 116 Stat. 2915.
Using the template will:
- Enhance public access to rulemaking documents via www.Regulations.gov
- Make comment addresses and methods more readily identifiable
- Provide links to dockets for background documents and comments received
- Promote plain language
- Facilitate XML tagging in the future
New "ADDRESSES" Template:
ADDRESSES: You may submit comments, identified by [docket number and/or RIN number ___] , by any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- Agency Web Site: [Complete URL] . Follow the instructions for submitting comments on the [Agency electronic docket site / web site] .
- E-mail: [E-mail Address] . Include [docket number and/or RIN number ___] in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: [Fax Number] .
- Mail: [Mailing Address for paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions] .
- Hand Delivery / Courier: [Street Address] .
Instructions: All submissions received must include the agency name and docket number or Regulatory Information Number (RIN) for this rulemaking. All comments received will be posted without change to [Complete URL] , including any personal information provided. For detailed instructions on submitting comments and additional information on the rulemaking process, see the "Public Participation" heading of the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.
Docket: For access to the docket to read background documents or comments received, go to [Complete URL(s) and/or Street Address(es)] .
Notes for Document Writers:
- Substitute appropriate information for the bracketed items
- List all applicable submission methods
- State full URL's (http://etc.)
- Brief instructions may follow bulleted items, or appear in the optional Instructions paragraph
- Agencies may use optional Instructions and Docket paragraphs to highlight or cross-reference agency-specific instructions, and to provide access to rulemaking dockets
- Send questions on this new "ADDRESSES" template to: firstname.lastname@example.org