Federal Register Bulletin Newsletter
A Letter from the Director of Legal Affairs and Policy on Incorporation by Reference
Document Drafting Handbook Chapter 6
We are pleased to issue a new edition (August 2008) of Chapter 6 of the Document Drafting Handbook (DDH) entitled "What is Incorporation by Reference, and How do I do it?" that is now available on our web site.
This new edition supersedes all previous editions of DDH Chapter 6 and Supplement 1. It contains a new section on formatting incorporation by reference language in regulations.
Inspecting Incorporated Documents at the Office of the Federal Register
Legal record copies of material incorporated by reference are filed at the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and other NARA facilities. OFR does not distribute incorporated materials.
If you or a member of the public would like to inspect material incorporated by reference at OFR's downtown Washington, DC location you must:
- Submit your written request at least a day in advance.
- Your request must include:
- Your name and daytime contact information—so we can confirm your appointment and the availability of the material you are seeking or in case we have questions,
- A detailed description of the material you wish to examine, and
- The date and time you wish to examine the materials.
- Submit your request by:
- E-mail to: email@example.com
- U.S. Mail addressed to:
Office of the Federal Register (NF)
The National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001
* Note that our mailing address differs from our physical location.
If submitting your request by mail, we must receive your request at least a day in advance of your requested inspection date.
For more information on incorporation by reference, including the location of holdings, please contact the Legal Affairs and Policy staff at 202-741-6030.
Amy P. Bunk
Director of Legal Affairs and Policy
Office of the Federal Register