Veterans' Service Records

Emergency Requests and Deadlines

How to tell us the nature of the emergency and your deadline:

Time-Sensitive (upcoming surgery, funeral, etc.)

How to notify us:

Online via eVetRecs

Customer Service:


Fax Standard Form (SF) 180: Request Pertaining to Military Records to 314-801-0764


*Due to the large number of calls we receive at this number, hold times are often long. However, once you reach a technician, he or she will be happy to assist you with emergency service.

How to specify urgency:

Specify in “Comments”

Specify in “Purpose”

For Burial Requests at a Veterans Affairs (VA) National Cemetery:

  • If your burial request involves interment at a Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 800-535-1117 or visit the National Cemetery Administration website. They will contact us, and we work directly with the Veterans Affairs staff to obtain records to verify service for burial benefits.
  • If the veteran is not going to be interred at a National Cemetery, the requester may fax the SF-180 (including signature of the next of kin and proof of death) to the Customer Service Team at 314-801-0764.

NOTE: The 1973 Fire at the National Personnel Records Center damaged or destroyed 16-18 million Army and Air Force records that documented the service history of former military personnel discharged from 1912-1964.

  • Although the information in many of these primary source records was either badly damaged or completely destroyed, often alternate record sources can be used to reconstruct the service of the veterans impacted by the fire.
  • Sometimes we are able to fulfill the request promptly, using alternate records that are in our holdings. At other times, we must request information from other agencies to gather the records, and in those cases, it may take several weeks to a month to complete the work.