Veterans' Service Records

Congressional Information

Information for Congressional Offices

Constituents often write to their congressional representatives when experiencing difficulties navigating the Federal bureaucracy.  The following information is provided to help congressional caseworkers expedite the servicing of constituent requests for records from the National Personnel Records Center.

The most recent letter from the Archivist of the United States to Congressional members.


NPRC is the physical custodian of the military and civilian records shown on our “Overview of Records” page.

In addition to the records shown on the page linked above, NPRC can access electronic personnel records maintained by the Army, Navy, or Air Force for veterans after the cut-off date of NPRC holdings.

For additional information about where to write for military medical or personnel records not addressed above see the records location table found on the Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records.

The Department of Veteran Administration (VA) has a duty to assist veterans with claims for federal benefits administered by the VA.

If the constituent is seeking VA benefits, it may be helpful to direct them to one of the websites below.  In many cases the constituent will be able to submit the benefit request on-line and the VA may already have access to the records needed to process the claim, or they will procure the records from other federal agencies upon receipt of the claim.  

The best method for submitting a Congressional request to NPRC is to:

1. Complete the Standard Form (SF) 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records.   

2. Attach the constituent’s original correspondence.  If the constituent is not the veteran or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran, NPRC may also require a signed authorization of the veteran or next-of-kin.

3. Mail the SF-180 and original correspondence to the address below:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

If you have an emergency request, contact the NPRC Congressional Casework Liaison.  Please see pertinent contact information under "Who can I contact for help?" section.

Tips to protect privacy and ensure the best possible service.

  • If inquiry involves the transmission of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) please use mail, phone or fax.  Do not transmit unencrypted PII over email.
  • Provide a complete and legible SF-180 even if the constituent's letter seems clear.  
  • Provide as much information about the veteran as possible with your request and make sure it’s legible.   Many of our records are not stored and indexed by the veteran’s social security number so additional information will often be needed to locate the record then to verify the record we have belongs to the subject veteran.  Legibly providing as much of the information below as possible will help NPRC locate nearly any record and verify that record belongs to the subject veteran.

-Veteran’s complete name used while in the service.

-Veteran’s Service Number or Social Security Number (Before ~1970 most records are by Service Number or name and date of birth; after ~1969 most records are filed by Social Security Number).

-Branch of service.

-Dates of service.

-Date and place of birth.

-If records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, additional information such as place of discharge, last unit of assignment and place of entry into the service may be of additional assistance in locating a record.

The NPRC Congressional Casework Liaison provides services to Members of Congress and their staffers with answers to questions about military records requests regarding their constituents.  

Please contact the NPRC Congressional Casework Liaison for any status checks, questions or information on how to submit an emergency request. 

Phone: 314-801-0816

Fax: 314-801-0763


The contact information above is for the exclusive use of Members of Congress or their staff.  Others will be redirected to the NPRC Customer Service line 314-801-0800. 

For additional information regarding records maintained by any of the 44 National Archives facilities, Members of Congress or their staff may contact the NARA Congressional Affairs in Washington, DC.