How to Initiate a Request for Military Personnel Records
I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the information that I provided on the web site (eVetRecs) related to the service request number listed above is true and correct.
- Click on the " Launch the eVetRecs System" button to start. This will launch a separate window.
- Click the "Make a new request" button
- Enter the required information in the system to create your customized request form. There are 5-6 steps that you need to navigate depending on your selections. The system will guide you through the steps and tell you exactly which step you are on.
- In Step 1 of the process, you will be asked who you are.
If you are the Veteran, choose Veteran.
If you are the next of kin of a deceased Veteran, choose Next of Kin of Veteran.
If you are neither the Veteran or Next of Kin, choose Other, followed by the most appropriate selection.
If you are requesting ON BEHALF of the veteran or next of kin, choose Other. You will need to upload authorization when prompted later in the submission process.
- In Step 2 of the online request form, you will be asked to make selections from drop down menus about the nature of the request and the types of documents you are requesting. If these menus do not include the items you wish to request, you will have the opportunity to expand your request in the Comments section in Step 3. If you want to request multiple items from the menu selections in Step 2 (such as "Genealogy" and "Military Awards/Decorations"), choose one of the items from the menu and then use the Comments section in Step 3 to ask for the additional documents/information. Please do NOT create multiple, separate requests for each of the menu selections available in Step 2 as that may delay the handling of your request.
- In Step 3, you will be required to provide your email address. Whenever possible, we will provide a digital response to your request and instructions will be sent to the email address entered. Please ensure your email filters allow messages from the @nara.gov domain, otherwise these communications may not reach you.
- In the "Review and submit" section, you will be asked to review all information that was entered, then enter your electronic signature. Please retain this information, as you may need to refer back to it when your request is completed. The electronic signature MUST match the name provided in the "Requester information" section. If the requester name is not the veteran, and no authorization and/or proof of death was uploaded or provided, an additional signed authorization from the veteran or authorized party will need to be faxed or mailed to NPRC, citing the request number that is provided at the "Confirmation" step.
eVetrecs is compatible with all browsers and mobile devices. Please ensure you are using the most updated version of your browser. If the problem persists, please use Standard Form-180, which you can download and print from the NARA web site or order through the mail.
When entering your Service Number it should be entered without any slashes, dashes, spaces or letters. Enter just the numeric portion. Should you still receive an error then leave it blank and provide it in the comments section.
Please be assured that any information that you send to the National Archives via the eVetRecs web site is 100% encrypted with 256-bit encryption.
eVetRecs is available 24 hours a day unless maintenance is being done.
- Return to eVetRecs