Papers of George Washington
University of Virginia
A comprehensive edition of the papers of George Washington (1732 –1799), first President of the United States, the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. He presided over the convention that drafted the Constitution. The edition is divided into the following series:
- Diaries of George Washington, Complete in 6 volumes
- Colonial Series, 1744-June 1775, Complete in 10 volumes.
- Revolutionary War Series, June 1775-December 1783, 26 vols. to date
- Confederation Series, January 1784-September 1788, Complete in 6 volumes
- Presidential Series, September 1788-March 1797, 19 vols. to date
- Retirement Series, March 1797-December 1799 Complete in 4 volumes
The George Washington Financial Papers project, also at the University of Virginia, makes Washington’s business and household records accessible.