Motion Picture Film Guidance: Ensuring Future Usability
[get-content name="preservation-formats-motion-picture-film-important-characteristics" include-tag="false" /]
Motion Picture Film: Future Usability
Digital preservation for any type of file includes many components, such as:
- Choosing a sustainable digital format.
- Choosing a sustainable storage media.
- Identifying recordings that you want to preserve.
- Organizing materials, including tagging, embedding metadata into files, and placing files in structured directories. Naming the directories with dates and events make them easier to identify in the future.
- Refreshing the data at regular intervals and storing multiple copies (three is recommended) on different media types, and in different geographical locations if possible. Keeping a copy in the cloud can be part of that strategy, but do not rely solely on the cloud as the only storage solution.
- Migrating the data from one file format to another as formats markedly improve and/ or evolve.
- Managing the data by utilizing an asset management system that also allows you to easily export content.