Laws and Regulations
The following acts govern the Presidential Libraries and the access and use of their materials.
- Presidential Libraries Act of 1955 (PLA)
Established a system of privately erected and federally maintained libraries.
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
Enacted in 1966, generally provides that any person has the right to request access to federal agency documents or information.
- Presidential Recordings and Materials Preservation Act of 1974 (PRMPA)
Applies only to the Nixon Presidential Materials.
- Presidential Records Act of 1978 (PRA)
Governs the official records of Presidents and Vice Presidents created or received after January 20, 1981.
- Presidential Libraries Act of 1986
Made significant changes to Presidential Libraries, requiring private endowments linked to the size of the facility.
- Presidential Historical Records Preservation Act of 2008
- Read the Report on Alternative Models submitted to Congress.
- Directs the Archivist to provide to the Senate and House appropriations committees a 10-year capital improvement plan for all presidential archival depositories. In addition, the Archivist must submit a report to the House and Senate homeland security committees that provides alternative models for presidential archival depositories.
- Executive Order 13489
Signed by President Obama on January 21, 2009, provides for further implementation of the Presidential Records Act.
- Executive Order 13526
Signed by President Obama on December 29, 2009, prescribes a uniform system for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying national security information. This order revokes Executive Orders 12958 and 13292.
- Presidential Transition Act of 1963
Promoted the orderly transfer of the executive power in connection with the expiration of the term of office of a President and the Inauguration of a new President.
- Presidential Transitions Effectiveness Act of 1988
Amend the Presidential Transition Act of 1963 to provide for a more orderly transfer of executive power in connection with the expiration of the term of office of a President.
- Presidential Transition Act of 2000
Provide for the training or orientation of individuals, during a Presidential transition, who the President intends to appoint to certain key positions, to provide for a study and report on improving the financial disclosure process for certain Presidential nominees, and for other purposes.
- Guidance Relating to President-Elect Transition Team Materials
Provides guidance regarding records management for the Transition Team.