This is a list of publications which are no longer in print. If an online version is available, it will be linked below. The publications are referenced by number.
For more genealogy resources, please see:
Reference Information Papers
Reference information papers describe National Archives materials on specific topics found in several different record groups. The form and style of these publications vary, and records are described at the record group, series, or item level.
80. Records Relating to Personal Participation in World War II: American Prisoners of War and Civilian Internees, comp. by Ben DeWhitt and Jennifer Davis Heaps (1992), 84 pp.
82. Records Relating to Personal Participation in World War II: American Military Casualties and Burials, comp. by Ben DeWhitt (1993), 61 pp.
90. Records Relating to American Prisoners of War and Missing in Action from the Vietnam War, 1960-1994, comp. by Charles E. Schamel (1995), 136 pp.
92. Records Relating to Personal Participation in World War II: Military Awards and Decorations, comp. by Benjamin L. DeWhitt (2000), 36 pp.
99. Chinese Immigration and Chinese in the United States: Records in the Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (1996), 33 pp. [Contact NARA`s Pacific Region (San Francisco) for a copy of this Reference Information Paper.]
102. Records Relating to American Prisoners of War from the Korean Conflict and During the Cold War Era (1997), 158 pp.
104. Presidential Libraries Holdings Relating to Prisoners of War and Missing in Action, comp. by Dale C. Mayer (1998), 64 pp.
108. Black Family Research: Using the Records of Post-Civil War Federal Agencies at the National Archives, comp. by Reginald Washington (2000), 24 pp.
Inventories, Preliminary Inventories, and Special Lists
Inventories and preliminary inventories provide researchers with series-level descriptions of the holdings of individual record groups in the National Archives. Each inventory and preliminary inventory contains an administrative history of the agency that accumulated the records described.
Special lists describe in detail the contents of certain important record series or units of records of the same form or function. The special list presents information at the level of individual record items. RG indicates "Record Group."
14. Records of the United States Direct Tax Commissioner for the District of South Carolina (1948), 8 pp. (RG 58)
58. Records of the United States Court of Claims, comp. by Gaiselle Kerner (1953), 31 pp. (RG 123)
101. War Department Collection of Confederate Records, comp. by Elizabeth Bethel (1957), 310 pp. (RG 109)
116. Records of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (1959), 68 pp. (RG 21)
124. Records of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, comp. by Marion M. Johnson (1960), 44 pp. (RG 21)
163. Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, comp. by Edward E. Hill (1965), 459 pp. in 2 vols. (RG 75)
24. Federal Population and Mortality Census Schedules, 1790-1910, in the National Archives and the States: Outline of a Lecture on Their Availability, Content, and Use (rev. 1986), 89 pp. (RG 29). Available only on microfiche.
26. Pre-Federal Maps in the National Archives: An Annotated List, comp. by Patrick D. McLaughlin (1971), 42 pp. (RGs 76, 77, and 360)
29. List of Selected Maps of States and Territories, comp. by Janet L. Hargett (1971), 113 pp. (RGs 28, 49, and 77)
31. List of Pre-1840 Federal District and Circuit Court Records, comp. by R. Michael McReynolds (1972), 11 pp. (RG 21)
34. List of Free Black Heads of Families in the First Census of the United States, comp. by Debra L. Newman (1973), 44 pp. (RG 29)
36. List of Black Servicemen Compiled From the War Department Collection of Revolutionary War Records, comp. by Debra L. Newman (1974), 29 pp. (RG 93)