Spanish to English Translation for the 1950 Census Form P94 “Cuestionario Para Enumeración Individual”
Front of form, Panels 1, 5, & 6
Back of form, Panels 2, 3, & 4
|Panel 1||English Translation|
CONFIDENTIAL – This survey is authorized by an Act of the United States Congress (46 Stat. 21; 13 U.S.C. 201-218), which requires this report. The information you provide is considered strictly confidential. The census report cannot be used for the purposes of taxation, investigation, or regulation.
United States Department of Commerce
Questionnaire for Individual Enumeration
Census of Population and Households: 1950
The census enumerator could not personally obtain from you the information required for the census.
United States Department of Commerce
Questionnaire for individual enumeration
|Panel 2||English Translation|
What is your name
(Surnames) (First name)
Where do you usually live? (Mark a box)
() Here. (Mark this box if this is your usual residence or if you have no other usual residence)
() Another place. (Mark this box if you live in another place. Make note of the address of that place)
(Street and number)
(City or town)
(Ward) (Municipality or state)
b) In addition to the address, describe the location. (For example, on the west side of Tanca Street, between San Sebastian and Norzagaray streets, or 2 kilometers to the north of the town of Vega Alta on the highway going toward Vega Baja.)
c) Is there a member of your family or other person that can give the information for you?
(Note the name or write “No one”
3) What is your relationship with the head of the family in your usual residence?
() I am the head
() I am not the head (If you are not the head, make note of your relationship to the head of the family with home you usually live)
(Son, daughter, wife, father-in-law, guest, lodger, etc.)
4) Indicate your color or race
() White () Of color (black or mulatto)
Other race _________________
5) What is your sex? (Mark the appropriate box)
() Male () Female
|Panel 3||English Translation|
6) How old were you on your last birthday?
(If less than one year, note the birth month, such as May, June, December, etc.)
7) Where were you born?
() Puerto Rico _______________
() Continental United States
() Territory, possession, or foreign country
8) Indicate your marital status
() In a consensual union
9) Do you know how to read and write?
() Yes () No
10) What is the highest grade that you attended in school? (Mark the box of the grade)
Elementary School 1() 2() 3() 4() 5() 6() 7() 8()
High School 1() 2() 3() 4()
University or vocational school 1() 2() 3() 4() 5 or more()
I have never attended school ()
(11) Did you pass this grade?
(12) ¿Have you attended school any time after February 1, 1950?
(13) Can you speak english?
|Panel 4||English Translation|
FOR ALL PERSONS 14 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER
(14) What were you doing last week?
(Mark each appropriate box)
(a) I worked for an employer or in my own business, profession, or farm
(b) I looked for employment
(c) I had a job in which I did not work
(d) I did household chores in my home
(e) I went to school
(f) I am permanently disabled to work
(g) None of the above applies to me
(15) If you worked last week, how many hours did you work?
I worked _____ hours
(16) How many hours did you work in 1949? (Enter full weeks)
() I worked ___ weeks during 1949
() I did not work during 1949
(17) Answer parts (a), (b), and (c) if
-- you have worked for any period after January 1, 1949 for pay or profit.
-- or if you are looking for employment.
(Describe the job from last week. If you did not work last week, describe your last job or business)
(a) What was your occupation?
(Give an exact answer, for example: farmer, farmworker, nurse practitioner, chemical engineer, etc.)
(b) In what industry or business did you work?
(Give an exact answer, for example: farm, leather shoe factory, retail shoe store, law firm, public school, etc.)
(c) Was this work for--(Mark a box)
() A private employer for wages, salary, commission, piecework, etc.?
() The Insular, Federal, Municipal government?
() On my own for my business, profession, or farm?
() A relative, without wages in farm or business?
(Please answer the questions on page 5)
|Panel 5||English Translation|
(18) Did you work during the past year (1949) for wages or salaries, tips, commission, etc.?
() Yes, I earned approximately $____
Enter total amount without discounts for retirement, government bonuses, etc.
(19) Did you work during the past year (1949) in your own business or professional practice for which you received monetary income?
() Yes, received approximately $____
(Enter the net income; that is, the remainder after subtracting the operating expenses from the revenues.)
(20) Did you receive any money in interest, dividends, veteran allowances, pensions, rents, or other income last year?
() Yes, approximately $____
(21) ¿Are you now in active service in the Armed Forces of the United States? (Mark a box)
() Yes () No
(22) Did you serve in the Armed Forces of the United States during--(Answer (a), (b), and (c) below)
(a) World War II?..... Yes / No
(b) World War I?..... Yes / No
(c) Another war or peacetime service?..... Yes / No
FOR EACH WOMAN
(23) How many children born live have you had? (Do not include children born dead.)
(Number) () None
|Leave the stamped report with the enumerator or with the person who gave you the form|
LEAVE BLANK--THE CENSUS ENUMERATOR WILL FILL THIS PART
(Municipality) (City or Town)
(Ward) (City or Town)
(E. D. Number)
(a) If hotel, guest house, institution, military post, ship, etc., give
3. Room number (if it applies)
(b) Number of dwelling in order of the visit