Analyze a Poster
Meet the poster.
- Quickly scan the poster. What do you notice first?
Observe its parts.
- Does it have a message printed on it?
- Are there questions or instructions?
- Does it say who created it?
- List the people, objects, places, and activities in the poster.
- What are the main colors used?
- Are there any symbols?
- Does the poster try to persuade mainly through words, visuals, or both equally?
- Write one sentence summarizing this poster.
Try to make sense of it.
- When is this from?
- What was happening at the time in history this poster was created?
- Who do you think is the intended audience?
- Why was it created? List evidence from the poster that tells you this.
Use it as historical evidence.
- What did you find out from this poster that you might not learn anywhere else?
- What other documents or historical evidence are you going to use to help you understand this event or topic?